Paying a rapper to get on your instrumental?

The only way i would pay a rapper is if i control the music and will be using it on some sort of personal compilation project (ie: Timbaland: Shock Value, Dr Dre: 2001 etc) or if i know for a fact this rapper has a following that will become aware of my music after i work with him.

The only way i would pay a rapper is if i control the music and will be using it on some sort of personal compilation project (ie: Timbaland: Shock Value, Dr Dre: 2001 etc)
That's the ticket.

A few times on here I have spoken about building an effective brand and how a lot of cat's tend to exclusively relegate themselves to a support role rather than develop a strong independent brand in their own right, like a lot of cat's don't see a market beyond the rappers they are shopping beats to, whereas putting out work under your own brand is something quite common to EDM and has always been a force within the traditions of Bass music (that includes cat's like Lil Jon). Put simply if your brand is only to be seen within the non-existent liner notes of the internet age then your brand is going to be weaker than the producers who have established brands that the public shops for.

or if i know for a fact this rapper has a following that will become aware of my music after i work with him.
In order for this to be most effective you would ideally want the kind of equal partnership that cat's like Danger Mouse engages in, and you definitely don't want to be paying for some dude to run off with your beats and not give you anything in return should it lead to success.

The only way i would pay a rapper is if i control the music and will be using it on some sort of personal compilation project (ie: Timbaland: Shock Value, Dr Dre: 2001 etc) or if i know for a fact this rapper has a following that will become aware of my music after i work with him.

agreed, It only makes sense if it's a big name and you know they have a huge following where people are gonna ask..who made that beat...that's good promo I think ;) But for someone equally as unknown as myself ----> :pointing:

I would never pay for any artist to get on one of my beats, even if it benefited me. That just doesn't seem right to me. I would never force something to happen. If the artists isn't feeling the beat enough to just do a song on it, then **** it. What kind of sell out would rap on a beat they didn't like just for money? smh

you can't blame them for trying, but i'll be damned if i ever pay an artist to jump on one of my beats... the thought of it is too ridiculous tbh loool

Back