Paying a rapper to get on your instrumental?

Alejandro Beats

When did this become the new norm? I was talking to some one local and he wanted $500 for a acapella. What is worse though is the acapella is already done so he isn't even writing to my track :hmmm:

He just opened for Juelz so I guess he thinks he is on that level now idk,but the whole thing was very frustrating.

There is nothing wrong with paying a rapper to perform on "your" record but you should not be paying to produce "his" record.

Last edited:
Too many dumb niggas with money got in the game. Paying for beat tags, paying niggas to get on YOUR beats, paying to remix a track, paying someone to show you how to hustle your own music, paying someone make a website to host your music....what else?

Last edited:
Well I would say that he's charging you for a verse because he doesn't see VALUE in your beat. If he did find the next Amilli that gets him radio play and up on iTunes. Then he'd at least trying to get it for free. The fact that he's charging you means he feels your not helping him, he's helping you. The fact is he doesn't charge everyone for beats or he wouldn't have any hot beats for songs. The fact is that he would definitely buy a beat off Kanye, Swizz Beats, Lex Luger, or Dr. Dre if they offered at a price he could afford.

So that means you presented your offer wrong. You made him feel like you needed him not that you could HELP him or that he can potentially make $$$ off your beat. Or you asked for a verse involving a project your running. In which case, I would charge for a verse or song.

And I'm not saying this to question your position in the game, your talent, or the quality of your beats. But its clear that alot of producers on here are better then alot of producers who have placements. The difference is the ones in the game presented VALUE to those who were willing to pay.

Well I would say that he's charging you for a verse because he doesn't see VALUE in your beat. If he did find the next Amilli that gets him radio play and up on iTunes. Then he'd at least trying to get it for free. The fact that he's charging you means he feels your not helping him, he's helping you. The fact is he doesn't charge everyone for beats or he wouldn't have any hot beats for songs. The fact is that he would definitely buy a beat off Kanye, Swizz Beats, Lex Luger, or Dr. Dre if they offered at a price he could afford.

So that means you presented your offer wrong. You made him feel like you needed him not that you could HELP him or that he can potentially make $$$ off your beat. Or you asked for a verse involving a project your running. In which case, I would charge for a verse or song.

And I'm not saying this to question your position in the game, your talent, or the quality of your beats. But its clear that alot of producers on here are better then alot of producers who have placements. The difference is the ones in the game presented VALUE to those who were willing to pay.
or they had a connect through someone

You make a good point Dabomb ok since he is local I offered him a free track and to help network him and I as a pair on social media and such.That was my first mistake because what I ended up doing was lowering my value.I am almost positive he pays artists to feature with him so what he must of seen was an opportunity to get me to pay for his verses to make up that difference.I was trying to explain to him there is no one in the industry today that I would pay to get on a track.I don't see the benefit in it that is just my stance.If im wrong please correct me,but I just don't understand how he has value to me it is just as easy to teach some one how to rap as it is to get a beat imo so this argument of I can get a beat any were is nonsense.

Indies love to do this. If he is receiving consistent radio play or consistent blog love outside of your state, I could see charging that amount for a feature. If he is on tour with Juelz Santana as a constant opener, I could maybe see charging that as well. But opening at one venue once is not grounds for that price, and I would be hesistant to work with anyone who doesn't even think about coming down from that price.

Everything is negotiable.

You make a good point Dabomb ok since he is local I offered him a free track and to help network him and I as a pair on social media and such.That was my first mistake because what I ended up doing was lowering my value.I am almost positive he pays artists to feature with him so what he must of seen was an opportunity to get me to pay for his verses to make up that difference.I was trying to explain to him there is no one in the industry today that I would pay to get on a track.I don't see the benefit in it that is just my stance.If im wrong please correct me,but I just don't understand how he has value to me it is just as easy to teach some one how to rap as it is to get a beat imo so this argument of I can get a beat any were is nonsense.

oh under virtually no circumstance would I pay a rapper for a song either. I'm not arguing that AT ALL. With the exception being, its MY project that I'M promoting for soley MY financial benefit. If your doing a mixtape like the producer Mike Will or doing a compilation project like DJ Khaled, then yeah pay for a song. But under no other circumstance would I ever pay for a rapper to do a song that ONLY benefits him. Especially LOCAL rapper.

what I'd also like to add is that there is nothing wrong with giving a free beat away. Obviously he's in decent spot in his career if he's opening for Juelz, he may also be getting paid to do small shows as well. That shows he has possibly more connections then you. So if giving away a beat gets you in the door then by all means DO IT.

Just Blaze spoke on this in a video. Doing a project for free is not a problem. The question is, HOW DO YOU MONETIZE off of it as a producer. For the rapper, its easy, make a hot song, get paid to do a show performing that song.

How do you make money though? If your doing a free beat, #1 your name has got to public knowledge as producer of that beat. #2 He's got to be a big enough name or the song has to be big enough for you to be able to go up to other rappers and brag that you produce for him #3 He refers his crew to you.

Every rapper has a crew. Especially with a little celebrity status. Try to get him to refer them to you. But also make it clear to them that he offered VALUE to you and that's why you did it free. If they can't offer the same or better value they should know they have to pay. If they can then by all means give them a free beat too.

You think Jahlil charged Meek Millz money for every beat he's produced for him? Doubt it. At one point they were both in the hood broke

Paying for beat tags, paying niggas to get on YOUR beats

paying someone make a website to host your music

How is this dumb? Do you think they should be paying you so they can make a website for you?

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Indies love to do this. If he is receiving consistent radio play or consistent blog love outside of your state, I could see charging that amount for a feature. If he is on tour with Juelz Santana as a constant opener, I could maybe see charging that as well. But opening at one venue once is not grounds for that price, and I would be hesistant to work with anyone who doesn't even think about coming down from that price.

Everything is negotiable.

Honestly, even Juelz Santana wouldn't be worth $500 anymore, much less than some wannabee who did one show with him.

It could be worth it if the rapper/artist has a large following. If its a no name or local cat I'd try and work out some sort of barter cause we both on the grind. If they suck, no dice. Straight up. Recently I had some young cats hit me up asking for beats in a collab type of fashion - I might have considered it if they sounded good or had a following...

To the person who said paying for ish is dumb if you can do it yourself - Im gonna have to disagree. Although I can do a lot on my own, If someone can do a kick ass job on my artwork or whatever, and I got the extra funds I'll pay em. To me, time is money, and in order for me to focus on my strong points I understand that sometimes its important for me to delegate certain tasks.

It could be worth it if the rapper/artist has a large following. If its a no name or local cat I'd try and work out some sort of barter cause we both on the grind. If they suck, no dice. Straight up. Recently I had some young cats hit me up asking for beats in a collab type of fashion - I might have considered it if they sounded good or had a following...

To the person who said paying for ish is dumb if you can do it yourself - Im gonna have to disagree. Although I can do a lot on my own, If someone can do a kick ass job on my artwork or whatever, and I got the extra funds I'll pay em. To me, time is money, and in order for me to focus on my strong points I understand that sometimes its important for me to delegate certain tasks.
in all fairness likely the person who said this is broke

it's more logical to pay a singer to get on a instrumental and also sing a song you wrote
so you can shop the song around to labels

-Coach Antonio

Last edited:
Why shouldn't you pay a rapper for his verse??

You expect for the rapper to pay you for YOUR BEAT don't you???

His product is just as valuable as yours.

Even rappers aren't beyond paying other rappers... ghost-writers have been behind some of the biggest hits to date.

... Rappers also pay other rappers to be featured on "their" song.

Your beat is nothing until it is a song... it's up to you.

I didn't read the thread but SoundCloud has some decent rappers that are easy to work with.

bingo this site really has to lose the broke mentality

Last edited:

i can see a point for an established rapper but some bum that opens for juelz santana shouldnt be charging 500 for the acapella of an already done song lol

Look @ Troup comin outta left field. Hows everything with you big dog?

Last edited:
Back