Next steps as a hip hop and R&B producer

g4m3r2

Hi everyone,

I started producing music about 6 months ago and I am not sure what direction to take to further my game. So far, I have looked at

1. SeamlessR's FL studio basics and production basics tutorials (all videos)

2. Syntorial lessons for sound design

3. ADSR courses on OVO sounds, 808s, Serum, Massive, transitions, and house music (I like house music as well)

I also know basic music theory (keys, time, scales, chords, intervals, cadences), but have no knowledge of harmony and counterpoint.

But I still feel that my skills are inadequate to produce songs in the styles of The Weeknd, Drake, Roy Wood$, Bryson Tiller, and Post Malone (but really I like all modern sounding hip hop and R&B, mostly on Billboard charts).

I tried to do what worked really well for me when making house music, which was to break down my favorite songs into chords and sections, and then produce something with similar progressions and structures. However, with hip hop and R&B, it seems like the whole song repeats a few chords over and over. The real secret it seems lies within percussion and synth sound design.

So what are some good sources I can learn from? I am considering Youtube tutorials (how to sound like artist XYZ videos) but felt that there's no consistent structure. Also, I am considering subscribing to Beatgenerals.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Time - dedicate as much time as you can to your craft. There isn't a quick turn around: music production is something that people spend studying and mastering for years.

6 months isnt long at i say just enjoy the learning process sounds like your in a rush i understand i was the same years back

My advice is to try doing EDM. EDM forces you to learn SOUND DESIGN. You will learn how to make plucks, leads, different types of bass's, Arps and etc. After doing that for a year or more you realize will you can do some amazing things with any synthesizers. Once you think you are comfortable just come back to Hip Hop and then everything will flow naturally.

Try experimenting with foreign and strange genres that you haven't tried out before, like ambient/trance/future funk/vaporwave/jazz/soul. Force yourself out of your comfort zone and obtain techniques from those genres.

Back