need some help in analyzing production in some of Kendrick Lamar's music

DannyBen

Hello everybody ,
i'm new to this Forum, so not sure if this is the right place to post this question.

I was wondering what did the guys working on Kendrick Lamar's albums do to achieve certain sounds, for example the vocal harmony in the begining of 'Pride' from last album Damn? genrally his charachteristic vocal harmony production is kinda intresting and i would really appriciate an analyzis and an explenation of ways of achieving it in my software, cubase 7.
I also would appricate general tips and analyzing of similar or other interesting ways to produce vocals and especially vocal harmony (was thinking about the song Aja by Steely Dan, though not hip hop, for example)

thanks

Man I wasn't in the studio with them when the songs were made so I'll never truly know for sure, but my best guess would be a whole lot of plugins and sampling softwares

Both songs use multiple stacked vocals from good singers. Both have processing (compression, touches of 'verb). They also probably use some element of vocal tricks like gang vocals (beefing up a section with lots of singers, usually not in harmony but in unison), and possibly a whisper track or two.

Your quickest/cheapest option for getting close would just be a harmony box or plug-in of some kind (the type where you can program the kind of harmony you want, sing, and get 3- and 4-part harmony out), and a good singer recorded with a decent mike through a good preamp.

Back