The Musical Theory of Trap

Well, if there is no music theory behind trap beats, woudn't that mean that it isnt real music?

Think about it.....

Nope....

Some ppl think Rap music isn't real music, just a bunch of guns and calling women hoes
Some ppl think Hard Metal isn't real music, just a bunch of loud yelling
Some ppl think Dubstep isn't real music, just a bunch of loud screeches and deep random sub basslines

i mean there's more "music theory" to be found in Trap than G-Funk, Boom-Bap or any other Hip-Hop subgenre. and lol, every form of music is about feeling, basically what im saying is **** these other niggas and just listen to me for a second.

I'm a Contemporary Keyboardist, rich musical background in Jazz, Neo-Soul, nahmean, all that good shit. i never had the "struggles" you're having with making trap music, Hip-Hop music or any kind of music really. I truly believe you're overthinking it. the quickest and most absolute way to get into the underlying mechanics of trap muzik is to go to Youtube . . . and watch people re-make these songs. maybe even re-make them yourself. the "theory and practices" behind these beats are better absorbed there.

sure they do that I-IV progression modulation thing a lot but that isn't a "rule", and honestly a lot of new trap shit doesn't even do that at all.

also, damn near ALL Trap producers who were the shit . . . were church keyboardists . . . Zaytoven, Redd, Toomp, Lil C, Ensayne Wayne, Midnight Black, Drumma Boy. list goes on. Lex and Southside are the exceptions. them niggas the product of a new generation. the fore-mentioned been making music since before software so they're cut from a different cloth.

The main thing is people who have an extensive musical background in piano and an extensive knowledge of theory tend to have a hard time making trap beats that sound authentic. It's not just trap but any hard gutta hip hop beat with an authentic feel could be challenging for them in the beginning. It usually comes out "too musical" instead of just being raw and gutta. They think in terms of theory instead of just using their ears.Pretty much they overthink shyt. The producers that do make trap beats that can play know how to kinda shut that theory stuff off and use their ears to play to capture the necessary vibe.

There is theory in trap music however dudes ain't thinking about it like that. I guess if you want to think about in that way start studying horror music/halloween music/epic orchestra music/or the scarface theme lol

Dopest trap beat I heard in a min Sonny Digtal tends to have a very thick sound

Last edited:
YOUNG TEX said:
There is theory in trap music however dudes ain't thinking about it like that. I guess if you want to think about in that way start studying horror music/halloween music/epic orchestra music/or the scarface theme lol

yeah, and them niggas end up lost at sea doing that.

you just gotta develop an ear for trap shit . . . and trust that your ears are already so grounded into the essence of trap music . . . that your fingers and mouse won't lead you wrong.

. . . you spend some quality time with some of those "LEX LUGER TYPE TRAP BEATS" .FLP files uploaded on Youtube and you'll have all your questions answered in due time.

I've been trying to nail this down for some time but i just can't seem to fully understand. I know the elements to trap, dirty snares, 808s, hi hats, orchestral hits, brass and some sort of melody. I've been playing piano since i was 5, im 18 now, and the more trap beat videos i watch i see that most people dont even stick to scales and stuff and just play minor chords and then transpose them down. When i made trap beats i played in Cminor, played C5 and then just raised the G to G# and got a trapish effect, but i see that there is way more to this, generally, how many steps should i tranpose down, or up?

Please no "dont do trap" answers, i play lots of stuff, i just want to master this.

see this thread where I have dissected a few different trap beats......

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/music-genres/rap-hip-hop-r-b/trap-chords-370101/#post49140551

Back