Moving to Atlanta in September (ATL Natives Help Me Out!)

ABound

I plan on going to an audio school in Atlanta. I'll be headed out sometime next September, probably the middle of the month.

Where is some cheap places to live? I'm going to take out loans for pretty much a years worth of living expenses cause that's how long the degree program is. I need to be either in close access to MARTA or figure out getting a car for down there to get to school everyday. Its the SAE Institute 215 Peachtree ST.

I know there's a lot of "ghetto's" in Atlanta. I'm not saying I wanna move right in to Clayton county or anything, but as long as having a gun is enough to protect my life/property from the random jack boy that might wanna try me cause I'll be new/white I'll be good.
Never been a snitch, never plan on it and I think I'd give off a cool enough vibe to let people know im not ****ing with their business if theyre not ****ing with mine.

I just want to keep it cheap as possible since I'm taking loans out. I'll be saving money too but I'll still have some debt. I also want to be within bike/walk/Marta distance from a lot of the studios in the area to so I can continually drop by looking for internships and dropping off beat CD's.

Like I said, im not saying im 'hard' or a 'thug' and im not even from a 'bad area' now but I have some general 'street smarts' and common sense, and like I said I plan to have weapons in the house/apartments at the least, and am more than comfortable using them, but if theres affordable "safe" places lay it on me. I just see a lot of omg dont move anywhere in Atlanta is all poor and crime ridden but it seems like stuck up white people on the internet saying that lol

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

I do plan on having like studio equipment in the house and such, so I realize that no matter how chill and laid back I am, it might make me a target for someone who went broke and tryna cop somethin to hustle lol. Like I said I don't just want to move into a terrible place but I dont wanna be in debt out the ass either. I'm just trying to figure out how bad it really is. Im a young white guy lol who loves the whole "dirty south" type music. Just southern music in general and the goal is to get an engineering job to help push my beats to either the industry or the next comeup rapper

Last edited:
As cheap as possible while staying within Marta/Walking or biking distance.

I know you know a lot about the A. Im on here with another name I just didnt wanna share my identity cause I know mfs gonna hate on my goal lol.

But I been seeing places that are in a good range....imma be taking a loan for 12 months living expense (student loan) so Im trying to keep it chap as possible.

What can you tell me about Bouldercrest Lane/Gresham Park?

Also what about

1295 Donnelly Ave, SW
Atl GA 30310

In west end? Bad places huh?

As a 19 year old white kid, will people just automatically hate me and wanna try me? Especially for being a transplant? Or are outsiders generally somewhat accepted?

I just street viewed that place on Donnelly, it's definitely "the hood" lol. I mean I dont have a problem with that. I just wanna know if I did move to an area like that how likely is it that I would get tried if I just minded my own damn business and did my thing

Last edited:
Marietta is pretty cheap and clean. It is Cobb County. I was paying around $500 a month. The only place you may need to worry about is East Atlanta like Decatur. If you want to live Downtown near Peach Tree. You're going to have to pay bigger bucks.

Marietta is pretty cheap and clean. It is Cobb County. I was paying around $500 a month. The only place you may need to worry about is East Atlanta like Decatur. If you want to live Downtown near Peach Tree. You're going to have to pay bigger bucks.

I thought Decatur was a good area? And yeah, I mean I just wanna be able to get to SAE easily, and also to all the studios in the area so I can drop by all the time asking for internships/dropping off beat CDs. I don't think Im gonna have a car. My mom wants to give me hers to take down there, but I dont wanna do that to her and plan on using Marta/my feet lol

Last edited:
Anything can and can not happen. I can't answer that for you. Your best bet is to come and visit a couple of times. September...you can have enough money saved up to put you ahead 6 months for where you really want to be (assuming you don't have any bills and rent right now). If you not working right now or have some money coming in...I would start there where you at now and save up heavy. I mean even at McDonalds with a $600 - $800 a month you can save $500 til September or even better.... move the date to start in spring of 2014. Leave with about $5k. You don't HAVE TO move to the "hood". Shiiiiit....live in a nice studio downtown........a loft or something. You will be 4 to 6 months ahead of yourself. And if you don't happen to find a job in those 4 to 6 months......because you lazy or partying too got damn much :D...fuuck it...plan b with dudes like "man.....that white dude right there got some shit......he moving over here?"

Seriously......4 to 6 months into school you would've found some people to room in with that are probably into doing music also. Get a nice house together. You got time to think ahead. Some people don't......so they rush to do what you thinking about and end up in situations that keep them held back or end up stressed because of it.

i def plan on hustling up as much money as I can before I come, and making a short visit or two.

But Im still gonna do loans for most of the first year, that way the money I have saved can go to food/months after the first year is up, etc. Im sure I can find a job/internship that leads to a job within a year. Also so I dont gotta focus on shit but dominating in my class.

Im sure I'll meet people from class and stuff too. On another forum someone told me to go to 5 points and hang out to try and meet people.

Is it safe to say almost anywhere I go I'll be ok as long as I mind my own business? Maybe let the neighbors know Im no one to worry about.

How necessary will it be to strap up when taking walks to the Marta stops/ studios or whatever? I'm not old enough for a permit to carry, but old enough to own a pistol. From what I've been seeing I dont think the cops are stopping random civilians in ATL making sure they're not carrying a gun. I don't think I'll be out in positions where I'd get stopped and patted down...I don't wanna have to carry a gun like that but how necessary is it? What about the area near the SAE? Looks like its downtown on peachtree st

Last edited:
You sound paranoid. All of this talk about having weapons and carrying guns makes me think that Atlanta isn't for you. Perahps you have an issue with black people in large cities that needs to be addressed before anything else.

Just go to a real college and live in the dorms with other whites or an integrated crowd. You aren't going to be able to do anything with a one-year education at an Audio School.

Have you even done any research into what graduates do?

What type of job would you do after graduating?

How much will you owe on loans?

Does the school have a job placement office?

What have other graduates from this program accomplished?

Will you need more education after this?

Think this out a bit more. Getting mugged should be the least of your worries. You probably will be regretful of your decision after completion of this program. Don't be an educated fool.

Rooms for rent in Atlanta

Watch out for them girls with dangalangs. Plan ahead.......fuuck a hood. You 19 years old. Live it up, man! Stay downtown, go to school downtown, and work downtown.

Ballin!!
http://www.easyroommate.com/sandy-s...ghborhood/H12082219274112/2012082219270475528

My bad....dude trying to get at the women....just females.

Hell....get you a nice car that's running decent.......and move in with this dude.
http://www.easyroommate.com/conyers...te-needed/H12112065015158/2012112006501589985

Damn.......he trinna get him some too.........shit. :D

Damn man you got me all in this shit. lmao!

Last edited:
I got tihs long ass post im tryna post in response to desire but it keep saying it has links when it doesnt! the fuq

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

@Desire

1. I have absolutely NO problem with black people, or the idea of a large city. Im worried about how white, transplants are reacted to in ATL. Not worried, just curious, im going and pursuing my dream regardless.

2. Im MORE than capable of going to a "real college" and getting whatever degree I want, but I have a passion for nothing other than music. Anything but a career in music would be pure misery for me.

3. My plan is to become an audio engineer at a local atlanta studio, and meet people to give beat tapes to, saying hey im a DAMN GOOD mix/mastering engineer and I make some super bangin beats.

4. I plan to CONSTANTLY show up at ATL studios, explaining my situation and basically begging for internships without coming off as begging. I will also drop off beat CD's, saying either I made this at such n such date and that was my skill level then, and taking more current CD's each time I show up. I am very confident that this will result in some internship somewhere, while I attend the school. I will show my superior skill (which I already have, SAE will only make me better) and this will lead to a job for me.

5. I will probably owe somewhere around 41k. This is no biggy to me. Whats the worst that can happen? Im majorly in debt and have trouble finding a job in my chosen field. OMFG YOU KNOW WHAT THAT SOUNDS LIKE? every other college student in America.

6. Yes, the school has a placement program.

7. Other students I have heard got jobs at disney, studios in NYC, dude from SAE ATL told me one even went to Patchwerk, which is my goal. SAE has great reviews for the most part.

8. I wont need more education.

Good shit for those links rice!

And to all the negative ppl who say go to "real college" bla bla bla (desire)

This is my PASSION. This is all I want to do with my life. Have some sort of career in music. I realize Im taking on a huge risk and I will owe a lot of money. I dont care because Im very confident in my abilities. My passion will show to these people at these studios. Especially when I keep coming back. I have absolutely no care if I were to die in debt because of this decision (which would never happen).

I realize these audio schools tend to get a bad rep, but to me its no different than a trade school. The people who say they suck seem to be lazy people who may have tried to go this route for the wrong reasons. I wanna do this because this is what I have a calling to do.

Even if shit went to shit, I currently live in/my parents live in a resort area. ALL the local bars/convention centers need live sound people, I'll be more than qualified to do that. Im already pretty qualified, but I went to SAE Atlanta and have a degree/diploma in Audio Engineering sounds a lot better than yeah, ive been doing mixes in my parents house in my bedroom for like 2 years now.

Its the fact that i DID go and spend the money just to get the stupid piece of paper. That shows my determination to an extent. Plus the way I carry myself, the way I speak, and the powerful vibrations of confidence, desire for success and to be one of the best will be eminent in me. I have a trust in God that this is the right decision.

Why ATL? Cause that's where my favorite artists have come from, and thats the genre/style of beat that I have loved to listen to/make.

Like I said the worst that can happen is in a whole damn FREE YEAR, I will have found nothing, no type of job related to audio or not (seems impossible to me), and I move back in with mommy and daddy with 40k on my head. Big deal. That risk is so worth the possibility of success to me. That's just how confident I am.

I didnt wanna have to go ham like that, but you always got a doubter/someone who says oh no thats a terrible idea.

Not to be a dick, but where the hell are you at to give me any type of advice and say "a one year audio program will get you no where" desire? Are you anywhere near where I wanna be? I dont think you are....so i better not take ur advice or I'll end up wherever the **** you are lol....do you even live in atlanta?

I wanna do the degree program just to say I have an associates, but I gotta go back to my community college and take two more classes to satisfy some prereqs.... I got hella credits and only my English and Psychology credits are good for SAE, I havent taken a Math or Science yet but had plenty of business classes. Thats cause I didnt have my heart in school and only went to get my grant money and satisfy people lol so i ended up taking a bunch of random shit. Now I actually wanna go try to pursue what i REALLY wanna do.

So Im thinking of saying **** the degree and going diploma. even tho it will make a difference, the thing is the diploma is a little cheaper/shorter. Thats less debt, and I can be real, a diploma OR a degree isnt gonna guarantee me shit. Its gonna be my portfolio and the EXPERIENCE i get on the equipment thats gonna do it + my drive and persistence in showing up at these places. Plus i dont even wanna wait till sept, I just wanna go go go! lol I can go by june if i do the diploma program, which I can already get accepted into.

---------- Post added at 02:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

Im pretty sure Im gonna go with the diploma over the degree. It'll be less debt, and I know that neither one guarantees me anything. My main thing is just gonna be getting in at a studio. I saw a site for a yo in atlanta that had a separate page on the site just for internships, paid 7.25 an hour for it too. And the schools says they can help get internships.

It would be nice to have an associates, but really Im just doing this so I can get to ATL on a loan. I got skills and shit already and theyll be able to see that from the beat cd's i drop off.

Plus if i go the diploma route I can head out in june instead of sept. I would go sooner but I have to stay around here till june for my brothers wedding lol

Last edited:
I'm not gonna say don't go to the school or anything, but stop being so paranoid about how dangerous it is. You're obviously scared of ATL. No one's gonna bother you cause you're white. Go make a list of apartments within a mile of the school and look at they're reviews online, then check them out in person if you ever go visit.

This dude is just dumb and racist all around. He wants to get a diploma to make no money. He wants to get a job working with mostly black artists but is scared of black people. Are people really taking this guy seriously?

People love taking "risks" and then crying afterwards. People always talk about dreams and passion and love. That is foolish. Having money isn't everything but not having money and plenty of bills is very serious. It is inevitable with a half-assed plan like this one.

Fool yourself if you want. None of these well-wishers are going to be around to help you when you are jobless with a diploma and student loan bills piling up. I see it happen all the time.

Last edited:
LMAO, scared of black people and the A...please

Desire, it's OBVIOUS that youre trolling, matter of fact thats ALL you do.

I say once more, where the FVCK are you at to be giving any type of advice?

Youre the one thats a complete fool to say don't follow a passion. Plenty of people take loans to go to even "Real college" and they still have trouble finding jobs. Being in debt is not serious. What the **** can they do to me, blow my phone up IF I don't find a job? You don't know shit, and Im done with this thread. I'll be back in a year to let you all know where I got my job at, and how sick the whole experience was.

Half assed plan? It's not very half assed, and I have faith. Something you obviously know NOTHING about. Lame ass mf lol. On FP constantly trolling since march, like I said hoe, I know members on this *****, I just made a new name just for pussies like you, who ALWAYS got advice to give but arent doing or trying SHIT.

Im at least taking a huge risk to do what I love, and youre too scared to even begin to try. You see that I got BALLS for moving out to a city I know hardly anything about, and taking out loans to do it. That makes you feel bad. It's cool, self confidence is easily developed bud. I'm sure you might get it by the time your 30 or something.

You don't know how serious I am lol, and I dont expect you too. Your just a lame on FP that literally goes around trolling, trying to get this kind of response from people, hope I made you happy lol.

Oh and btw, the most in debt I can be is $34,423 and a lot of that will be covered for me by Pell Grants. So it's even lower than that. The rest will be a stafford loan (no payments until 6 months after completion) and what that wont cover is where I go to private loans for. Big ****in deal lol.

Like I said twice already, where are you at? What makes your advice credible to what Im trying to do? Where do you work muthafvcka? Where do you live? lmfao, I bet you do some stupid ass 9-5 and live with your parents because that's youre comfort zone.

It's cool, that was my comfort zone too, but Im about to step the **** out of it. This is my debt to go into, not yours. And like I said, Im already good at this audio engineering shit.

The whole reason Im even going to the school is so I can go an live in atlanta on a loan for a year, and keep trying for jobs at these studios, not because I think getting a diploma here will guarantee me the job. I'll get a spot in there, just watch. You all will see in about a year.

And even IFFFFFFFF I dont get a job in a studio in ATL, I live in a huge tourist destination/resort/beach town. EVERY BAR, CONVENTION CENTER, HOTEL, etc needs someone to work live sound.

The ABSOLUTE WORRRRRST that can happen to me, is im around 30k in debt, and I gotta move BACK home to my parents and get a job doing something like that to pay it off........sounds a lot similar to the situation im ALREADY IN.......except better.

**** money, **** some debt, I aint scared of that shit. And if Im so "scared of black ppl and atlanta" thats what I'll be walking around with the pistol on me for.

You're such a lame desire, like I said I know how you do on this forum. Take a step back and look at your ***** ass in the mirror. Step your confidence up, get the **** off FP and do SOMETHING with your life. This music shit is NOT for you. You're way to much of a pussy. Like I said Im intelligent enough and more than capable of being anything I want in this world, this is what Im choosing to do.

Last edited:
let me know though, for real.

Why should I take your advice? Why should I just give up, say my dream is too hard and impossible, I cant do it and just give up.

Go to some ohter job/college/program that I dont give a half a **** about and try to pursue that and be successful....explain to me why that makes sense PLEASE im dying to hear it

LMAO! Got yourself a gun, eh?

Got a few of em, actually. Typical short response from someone who really has nothing to say to everything i addressed in my last post. Let me make it real simple for you:

let me know though, for real.

Why should I take your advice? Why should I just give up, say my dream is too hard and impossible, I cant do it and just give up.

Go to some ohter job/college/program that I dont give a half a **** about and try to pursue that and be successful....explain to me why that makes sense PLEASE im dying to hear it

lol dirty south/trap but Im versatile. Ive done sample based and hip hop type before as well too. I used to be in a rock band as a guitar player, used to be in to that hardcore screaming shit. I like jazz, I like blues I like classical. Im just a music person pretty much lol. Even though I dont listen to much music. Im a member on this site with another name, whenever I do post for review I might get someone who gives some crit but for the most part its damn nice mix, nice beat, etc.

Not that that means anything lol. I might post an untagged beat just to show but thats the main reason Im goin to ATL. Just to meet people and get in the genre ive always dreamed of being a part of since the time i was 12

Last edited:
Back