Mixtape Hosting

T

T-KO

Yo wuts da deal wit dj's hosting mixtapes, how does that process happen like do you as an artist contact the dj and say u wanna host or is it the other way around, and dj hosting does that include just the dj sayin their name on each track or do they provide the studio time, and some of the distribution

or do they provide the studio time, and some of the distribution
No ... Hosting has nothing to do with them giving you studio time or helping with the distribution unless it is the DJ's tape or they asking you to come down and do exclusive tracks/drops or etc. for them ... For example DJ Drama Gangsta Grillz Artist Mixtapes, Drama distributes them because they are his tapes that he is putting together, If he's hosting your tape it's not his tape he is just hosting so therefore he has nothing to do with you making it to a studio to record or do distribution)

Once you are able to contact the DJ (On your own or thru a connect) and you let them know who you are and what you are doing they will problly want to hear some of your music and/or give you a price (For big name DJ's expect anywhere from about a couple of hundred up into the high thousands depending on their status).

Once you are finished with your project you would then send it over to the DJ and he/she will do their thing ... For some DJ's hosting = hosting + mixing while for others it's just co-signing/talking on the tracks. Also some DJ's will always was host if the money is right/big even if they don't like the music and some will not host if the music is wack. For example I've been asked to host a few mixtapes by local artists but I turned them down because their music was not good (bad/cheap recordings) and I did not want to put my name on a bad product which in turn would make myself/my judgement look bad as a DJ.

Hopefully that clears something up for you ...

Last edited:
ahhh okay very clear so if you put get clue or sommebody to host the mixtape its just them co-siging to i guess use they name to sell more

With the right amount of money you could probly get any big name to host a project (DJ Whoo Kidd Hosted this horrible R&B mixtape recently but I gurantee he was paid a good amount of money to do it) ... And yes more or less it is a co-sign in situations such as Kayslay & Papoose or a DJ co-siging and up & coming artist that he/she is supporting.

Peace H&R, so do Dj's need new producers for their mix tapes ? and how should one contact them?
RF_Pop_Up5.jpg

DaNOC said:
Peace H&R, so do Dj's need new producers for their mix tapes ? and how should one contact them?
RF_Pop_Up5.jpg

Hmm.. I'm confused DaNOC. Why would a DJ need a new producer for their mixtape? I've hosted a couple and put out some of my own. You can see some at www.myspace.com/tracknicians Got a lot more to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yo wuts da deal wit dj's hosting mixtapes, how does that process happen like do you as an artist contact the dj and say u wanna host or is it the other way around, and dj hosting does that include just the dj sayin their name on each track or do they provide the studio time, and some of the distribution

I know this an old thread but anyway...

You use the DJ as a promotional tool. A good DJ already has a following and new artists usually do not. Bigger name artists might use a DJ to keep relevant by feeding the public tracks while they maybe working on their next album, or label could leak tracks for promotion prior to an album release. DJ's will charge for this service is because it takes time to produce each tape, and time and expertise to promote it. It’s also taken a lot of time and effort for them to build a following and make connections. If you go it alone and you have never put out a Mixtape before then the amount of exposure you are likely to get will not be comparable and that's also what you are paying for.

A Mixtape can be hosted by the artist, DJ or someone else, have scratching, drops, be mixed on software or decks. All that depends on whoever is paying for it.
If anyone wants good Mixtape hosting at reasonable prices check out my website DJ JGREEN MONEYTALKZ | Hip Hop Mixtapes and Hosting

Dj Pop Dukez (Mixtape Hostings)

I Agree with the Dj Above Me... It really depends on who you get to host your mixtape... every dj offers different services... i kno when i host mixtapes i give my clients promotions on facebook and twitter... also i post up their mixtapes on 20+ mixtape websites for distribution.. all for $300 - $400... i wouldnt call my self a BIG NAME DJ... but i would like to consider myself major since i signed to Wu-Tang Djs aka Wu-World Wide Djs...

the facts are you can find REAL djs that are willing to help... and lets not forget if your getting a mixtape hosted make sure the dj you choose is well familliar with dropping mixtapes... club djs wont give you an official mixtape sound... and vice versa a mixtape dj wont rock the club as a club dj would....

kno your dj...

Yep, there a really some different things dj´s / presenters can offer you and make your mixtape sound official or promote it the way you need etc. In my opinion the most important thing is that the mixtape sounds good and is mixed
well through the dj´s creativity. When it got this professional note the next steps like promo and marketing can be done to reach more fans/a&r´s and so on. For this there are a lot of marketing firms specialized in pushing
a mixtape/album. I for example work together with coast2coast mixtapes and offer the first thing i spoke from. The tapes i do containing drops, professional fx etc.
So if you want to check out our latest mixtapes and are interested in pricing and other info hit me under therealwhizzkid [at] gmail .com I offer very good deals especially for underground artists atm and my goal is that artist and dj/host are satisfied with the release. To success! :) Peace from Germany, Whizz

Back