Mixtape-Game: The Real Cause of Oversaturation

Just Clauz

I feel like rappers nowdays (majors) prioritize mixtapes too much. It has come to the extent, that it feels like rappers care more about mixtapes than albums, and no lie, more often than not, mixtapes are better than the latter. I realized it the other day when I searched for "Top Rap Albums of 2015", and ended up checking out datpiff.com because the albums where just too unimpressive. But whats negative is that there are simply to many mixtapes put out every year. Look at any establiesh rapper's catalogues, its like 4 albums and 17 mixtapes.

Alot of people blame the "basement rappers" for the cause of oversaturation, but I think a great deal of the reason for it is because of the majors, who simply put out too much. Its like there is this attitude, that the more mixtapes you put out, the better. The anticipation for an upcoming album is just not there anymore. Quite pessimistic I know, but its an interesting debate to bring up in this day and age.

Extra Comment
I know mixtapes have always been part of rap. I know it began in the old school era, alot of tapes came out then, but I believe there was a great need for creating something with quality, becuase you wanted to give a good first hand impression, as it was not easy to get a mixtape out there in the world. I'm 25, so I don't know for sure, just wide specualation. Maybe someone who actually were there can compare the mixtape game in the 80's and 90' with now, and tell us if it really has changed.

Last edited:
The cause of oversaturation is poor quality music being shoved down our throats and embraced on the radio due to pay-for-play.

In the 90's and early 2000's we producers knew we needed to actually have talent and learn the basics of music making in order to be successful. Nowadays, every 13 year old with a pirated copy of FL can create what they hear on the radio with ease.

Sloppy mix tapes don't help, though.

Last edited:
I feel like rappers nowdays (majors) prioritize mixtapes too much. It has come to the extent, that it feels like rappers care more about mixtapes than albums, and no lie, more often than not, mixtapes are better than the latter. I realized it the other day when I searched for "Top Rap Albums of 2015", and ended up checking out datpiff.com because the albums where just too unimpressive. But whats negative is that there are simply to many mixtapes put out every year. Look at any establiesh rapper's catalogues, its like 4 albums and 17 mixtapes.

Alot of people blame the "basement rappers" for the cause of oversaturation, but I think a great deal of the reason for it is because of the majors, who simply put out too much. Its like there is this attitude, that the more mixtapes you put out, the better. The anticipation for an upcoming album is just not there anymore. Quite pessimistic I know, but its an interesting debate to bring up in this day and age.

Extra Comment
I know mixtapes have always been part of rap. I know it began in the old school era, alot of tapes came out then, but I believe there was a great need for creating something with quality, becuase you wanted to give a good first hand impression, as it was not easy to get a mixtape out there in the world. I'm 25, so I don't know for sure, just wide specualation. Maybe someone who actually were there can compare the mixtape game in the 80's and 90' with now, and tell us if it really has changed.

I feel it. The main reason for mixtapes though is because it allows the artist to create music that the labels would otherwise not want them to put on an album and it keeps an artists name relevant in between albums. So for some mixtapes is the only time an artist gets to put out the music they want to make. On the local level mixtapes tend to sound pretty bad. Subpar beats, subpar recording and subpar mixing. ugh. It's the main reason I usually pass on most people's mixtapes. You also missed the ease of making music now. The equipment to record a song and release is more readily available now than ever before. Find a cracked version of fl studio. a couple free drum kits. a used mic and interface and your're good to go real talk

The cause of oversaturation is poor quality music being shoved down our throats and embraced on the radio due to pay-for-play.

In the 90's and early 2000's we producers knew we needed to actually have talent and learn the basics of music making in order to be successful. Nowadays, every 13 year old with a pirated copy of FL can create what they hear on the radio with ease.

Sloppy mix tapes don't help, though.

Yeah its because of the easy acces I know, but I just wanted to note that the amatures are not the only ones to blame. The big boys (Gucci, Wayne, Rick Ross ect) put out way too much that all sounds the same. I think Gucci already released 3 this year or so. Artist need to slow down a little bit. It'll give them time to refine their creations, and it builds even more anticipation when you dont hear new music from an artist for quite some time.

The big boys (Gucci, Wayne, Rick Ross ect) put out way too much that all sounds the same. I think Gucci already released 3 this year or so.

I'm only seeing Ross has released 4 mix tapes since 2010 and none since 2013.

In the past 10 years Wayne has dropped 8 and only 1 since 2013.

Gucci on the other hand...

I def agree that artists need to slow down. We all know the reason why Jurassic Park just broke the opening weekend sales record and it wasn't just because of Chris Pratt's star power.

Is it because the last one came out 14 years ago?

The first one grossed about 700 Mill, 4 years later the release another and it grossed half of that... now 14 years later it grossed over a billion surpassing both (combined).

They learned quickly that over-saturation causes people not to give a shit... there needs to be enough time in between to successfully sell something...
then again apple sells a new phone every year and people gobble it up, so what do i know lol.

Last edited:

The first one grossed about 700 Mill, 4 years later the release another and it grossed half of that... now 14 years later it grossed over a billion surpassing both (combined).

They learned quickly that over-saturation causes people not to give a shit... there needs to be enough time in between to successfully sell something...
then again apple sells a new phone every year and people gobble it up, so what do i know lol.

Great use of critical thinking and editing your original post.

I think this logic is what I myself use when thinking hip hop industry. Matter of fact, I think this logic can be applied to any type of indudstry. Buisness usually run by the saying of "supply and demand". If rappers keep pumping out music all the freaking time, there is no real demand for it, as people don't "miss it" at any point.

Problem is, albums don't sell. So nobody wants to make the investment in them anymore.

They'd rather download internet beats, record a mixtape in someone's bedroom, give it away for free, and do shows based on those songs.

Back