Making Beats: Does Practice Really "Make Perfect?"

Practice makes it perfect is an impossibility, what you wrote

Perfect practice makes it perfect is even more impossible

I offer again

Practice prevents piss poor performance

and that can relate to anything whether it is in business, sports, music or life (I enjoy practicing some things more than others; nudge nudge wink wink)

Perfect way of putting it lol

Yes practice makes "perfect". The more you do it the better you become.

As far as producing goes this means knowing how to use your tools to make beats, your workflow etc.

NBA players practice a lot and as a result they make it seem ridiculously easy, when it's really not. It's just that they practice so much that certain things become second nature.

You should get to the point where when you hear something in your head it should take you little time to make it into a track.

As far as making beats goes, at least in my experience, practice doesn't really feel like practice..... It's more like a hindsight kind of thing. A lot of the time I'm not even aware that I've improved until it becomes apparent a few months later when I look back and realize that I sucked lol. Maybe that's because every track I put out is made with an actual purpose. I'll never make a beat only for the purpose of becoming better at beat making, but I know I'll get better either way.

In my mind learning to play the keys or something like that would feel more like a process of practice, because it's something I'd repeatedly do solely for the sake of becoming more sufficient for when I'd want to add live keys to a beat or something like that

But a little more on topic...... I agree with Bandcoach and mobeatz's posts. There's still a pretty large amount of trial/error involved in turning my ideas into audible form. Someone much more polished could probably do what usually takes me days in a few hours

Last edited:
^^^the past month I've made beats with similar progressions to old beats but I've figured out what made those old beats wack and translated it to a better idea. So where the hook came first, I put the verse instead and used a different type of drums. Ish is crazy how you can better without noticing.

As far as making beats goes, at least in my experience, practice doesn't really feel like practice..... It's more like a hindsight kind of thing. A lot of the time I'm not even aware that I've improved until it becomes apparent a few months later when I look back and realize that I sucked lol. Maybe that's because every track I put out is made with an actual purpose. I'll never make a beat only for the purpose of becoming better at beat making, but I know I'll get better either way.

In my mind learning to play the keys or something like that would feel more like a process of practice, because it's something I'd repeatedly do solely for the sake of becoming more sufficient for when I'd want to add live keys to a beat or something like that

But a little more on topic...... I agree with Bandcoach and mobeatz's posts. There's still a pretty large amount of trial/error involved in turning my ideas into audible form. Someone much more polished could probably do what usually takes me days in a few hours

Check out this story. Start at 3:40 mark

Just Blaze gets hooked up with Jay Z after Jay he sees him make 2 dope beats in about 10 min lol

Last edited:
Back