Lex Luger Vs Southside

biggsbeats

Article I did on the influence Southside, Lex Luger + 808 Mafia had on the game

Let me know who y'all got in a battle

Influence

Popularity of Trap music

While previous producer legends of their respective eras, from the South were the originators/precursors trap such as Lil Jon, Shawty Redd, Zaytoven and Drumma Boy, Lex Luger and Southside built upon the blueprint they had laid down and assisted in large part, the rise of in the global popularity of trap music. The early sound Lex and South helped built is often characterized by heavily using organs, orchestral elements such as brass, strings, woodwinds, typically around 140 bpm, that provided the backdrop to the street music being cultivated by these southern artists like Future, 2 Chainz, Rick Ross and more.

However, the sound Lex and South helped create together, was being replicated and reproduced on the secondary market; starting significantly with Lex’s style, in the wake of early ‘10s bangers he produced by aspiring producers and artists looking for that gritty sound.

Rise of Drill music

In 2012, in the wake of the 808 Mafia founders rising success, drill music emerged as significant sub-genre within hip hop that helped ascend the rise of multiple artists. Drill music’s emergence is owed in part of the trap music that Lex and South help popularized several years prior. The genre’s most acclaimed producer, Young Chop, incorporated the fundamental elements of what made trap music popular to new levels; particularly using pulsating rhythms of 808 basslines that, in synchronization with the kicks and/or snares that hit on the 3rd/6th beats of the bar in unique variations. These sounds Chop, also in association with members of his production partners BandKamp, helped assisted in the rise of drill’s most popular artists such as, Montana of 300, King Louie, Fredo Santana, the grim reaper (shout out Akademiks) Lil Reese, Lil Durk and arguably the biggest artist, Chief Keef (who actually dabbles in making beats too).

Read rest of my article here:

Southside Vs Lex Luger – Sound Plug

It's funny people are still talking about this.

I miss the old lex man. Haven't heard much from him. He made me pick music back up again!

Back