Kodak Black go to producer talks beats + working with kodak

biggsbeats

With Kodak Black’s debut album, Painting Pictures, coming out at the top of April, we wanted to reach out to his go-to producer, Dubba-AA, through his manager Chef for an interview. Dubba-AA been working with Project Baby since Day 1, before his rise to mainstream success. Dubba talks about his come up, career start, first placements and rise within the industry with Kodak as an artist and producer.

Where you from?

I’m from West Palm Beach, Florida.

How did you start getting into music production?

I started learning how to play drums at the age of 2 by watching my dad and sitting on his lap soaking it in. By age of 11, I started making beats as part of the group Pangea Kidz with members, Young Garah and Chris Da Great (CDG). We were the first group in South Florida to perform on BET’s 106 n Park.

We couldn’t afford beats so for Christmas my mother bought me a Roland Phantom as a gift. She suggested instead of paying money for beats, use the Phantom as an investment to make money making beats. As I was making beats and making music as a group, we were learning through trial and error.

So what point did you start taking music seriously?

I ain’t gonna lie, back in the day, Lil Bow Wow got me inspired to take music Seriously. My parents wouldn’t let me listen to the hardcore music that was out at the time and seeing the jewelry, braids, and girls, inspired me to start taking music, rapping seriously.

What were your first placements as a producer/paid placements?

Around 2006, when I was 14, I co-produced this beat with Chris Da Great (CDG) for an artist by the name of VanDam. That became “Body Slam” which became a local hit in our area. The song grew so popular that we became instant celebrities around our way; girls was liking us and guys wanted to be like us.

When “Body Slam” took off, were you aware of this business aspect of collecting payments and royalties off the song?

Not at all. We didn’t get any royalties from it. That was part of the trial and error. We were the young cats in the game, trying to solidify our name at that time. We felt that making beats, having that notoriety, the success was more than we expected. We thought that we were gonna make that beat, and that was gonna be it. Now, knowing what I know, we should’ve gotten that paperwork right, we could’ve made a couple dollars off that record. But sometimes you have to go through that, especially when it’s your first big record.

Check out my full article here

Dubba-AA Talks About His Come Up, Work with Kodak Black + Career As Artist – Sound Plug

Back