Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.

minorkey

So kendricks new album released today and i am wondering what people think?

I think its a great album my fav track by far is YAH. That beat :bigeyes: i really like the production overall

The production level on this album is absolutely unreal. YAH. really stood out to me as well. This album has that genuine Kendrick feel and I honestly have no complaints. This is a job very well done.

This is why I love Apple Music streaming service. I listened and wasn't impressed. I heard a few good samples in the production, but was lyrically underwhelmed. I would be upset if I purchased this album, but was able to remove it in a few taps.

I agree with JBlongz - def was underwhelmed and I'm a Kendrick fan. Beats didn't impress me. Lyrics didn't impress me. Overall energy didn't impress me.

It also seems that the vocabulary of mainstream rappers hasn't evolved in the right direction. Kendrick in particular is often regarded for his "fearless" address of racial issues, meanwhile still exploiting the 'ni**a' and 'b**ch' vernacular that needs to die. I want to hear positive music, but if a story must be told, these words are not necessary. On another note, did anyone else notice him repeating lines in some of his tracks? Was it really difficult to fill in those bars? :4theloveofgod:

Last edited:
I was highly disappointed. Not at all what I was expecting from him with those lead off singles he released. 3 songs are worth buying in my opinion and thats it. Not to twist the subject but a more solid project is that collab from Talib Kweli & Styles P "7", amazing but enough said.

It doesn't live up to the heights of his previous 2 albums. To Pimp a Butterfly and Good Kid Maad City both had more depth, story, atmosphere and lyricism to them. But DAMN is still a good 7/10 project. It has some hot bangers, great soulful samples, some interesting experimental songs and some skippables. It touches upon political and cultural issues but most of the lyrics didn't standd out or evoke any strong feelings from me as his other works did.

I don't know why they like Kendrick so much. He is overrated to me. His style is too superficial and non original.

here i ranked kendricks albums

6. untitled unmastered
5. overly dedicated
4. section.80
3. to pimp a butterfly
2. damn.
1. good kid maad city

Back