Kanye West: Musical Genius or Great Project Manager

Kanye realizes that his musical "talents" have taken him as far as they can. Now, he's focused on Kim Kardashian and his emotional outbursts to keep him in the media.

Look at what his talent has done for him.

Kim-Kardashian-s-Racy-Spread-in-Paper-Mag-Wasn-t-Photoshopped-Video-464890-4.jpg

Attachments

• Kim-Kardashian-s-Racy-Spread-in-Paper-Mag-Wasn-t-Photoshopped-Video-464890-4.jpg
    Kim-Kardashian-s-Racy-Spread-in-Paper-Mag-Wasn-t-Photoshopped-Video-464890-4.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
A genius is just a matter of opinion there's really no set in stone rules to being one it just how you sway the publics opinion

Last edited:
you comparing totally different things. Quincy is playing basketball and Kanye is playing football. They're nothing alike and to compare them side by side is impossible considering the different eras and genres. Kanye doesn't need live strings or pianos in his songs, just like quincy doesn't need sped up samples or a drum machine in his song.

I agree that to compare them is ridiculous. OTHERS were and saying Quincy is an old hater that needs to take several seats...so, I created this thread to try and understand why OTHERS thought that.

Look at what his talent has done for him.

Really...

...so if that's the case, then Fez from That 70's Show is the most talented cat alive since he's been with:

Minka Kelly
Jennifer Love Hewitt
Lindsay Lohan
Mila Kunis
Mandy Moore
Ashlee Simpson
Avril Lavigne
Demi Lovato

Last edited:
...and now this ninja wanna say that Beyonce's album (with 17 different producers) was more "artistic" than Becks (with 1 producer...named Beck).

...I really don't understand what has happened to son in the past 10 years...

...and now this ninja wanna say that Beyonce's album (with 17 different producers) was more "artistic" than Becks (with 1 producer...named Beck).

...I really don't understand what has happened to son in the past 10 years...

Doesn't really matter how many producers there were. Truthfully I thought Sam Smith should've beat Beyonce and Beck

Doesn't really matter how many producers there were. Truthfully I thought Sam Smith should've beat Beyonce and Beck

I agree Sam Smith is doing his thing and I honestly think much of Beck's album sounds the same.

But, you mean to tell me that there is more "artistry" if a person uses 17 different producers than the person who composes, writes, and produces their album themself?

Kanye had 67 writers on Yeezus...SIXTY-SEVEN...but, son is a genius.

I agree Sam Smith is doing his thing and I honestly think much of Beck's album sounds the same.

But, you mean to tell me that there is more "artistry" if a person uses 17 different producers than the person who composes, writes, and produces their album themself?

Kanye had 67 writers on Yeezus...SIXTY-SEVEN...but, son is a genius.

You're mixing artistry with control. You have more control when you do everything yourself, it doesn't make you more artistic or creative when you do that. both ways you can get your artistic vision across. Both ways can take talent. It takes skill to do everything yourself and not have it same sounding, repetetive or boring. It takes skill to take input from various other musician and still make a cohesive vision.

You're mixing artistry with control. You have more control when you do everything yourself, it doesn't make you more artistic or creative when you do that. both ways you can get your artistic vision across. Both ways can take talent. It takes skill to do everything yourself and not have it same sounding, repetetive or boring. It takes skill to take input from various other musician and still make a cohesive vision.

Well said and I agree.

...but, I personally have more respect and will put in the forefront of the "genius" discussion the person who has the ability to compose/write/play/sing without auto-tune their own music as opposed to the person who hires someone else to convey their vision themself.

Who do you consider more "artistic" - Beck, who plays the actual music and adds in his touches or Kanye who hires beck to play the actual music and add in their touches?

So i dont know Kanye Personally so i wouldnt be able to say. But some of the beats he said he made were really really good. But as a rapper...idk he is not all that
But whether he makes all his beats himself or with help...hmm
great question

My thing is why are people always attacking Kanye?

Has anybody ever considered the fact that he actually knows what he is talking about? Pretty much, he does what he dreams. Everything he has set out to do, he has accomplished. He has taken his ambition and drive and turned it into a lifestyle that others can live by.

I don't see too many other people that are truly trying to change pop culture for the better the way that Kanye has. I think he was probably a huge influence for his wife to become as famous as she is.

I don't see how humility would have helped him. It may help other artists, but not Kanye. Sometimes,'humility is a barrier to success. There are some people that must have a huge ego in order to be perceived as authentic. I think Kanye would be faking it if he didn't have a huge ego.

The formula he has created works for his brand. I am happy for him.

Well said and I agree.

...but, I personally have more respect and will put in the forefront of the "genius" discussion the person who has the ability to compose/write/play/sing without auto-tune their own music as opposed to the person who hires someone else to convey their vision themself.

Who do you consider more "artistic" - Beck, who plays the actual music and adds in his touches or Kanye who hires beck to play the actual music and add in their touches?

depends on the finished product. like I previously stated it really doesn't matter how you get to that point. (btw Beck also uses session musicians). One isn't more or less artistic for going either way.

I agree Kanye is a great producer and he is easily in my Top 5. Even though I'm not a big fan of MBDTF and Yeezus I appreciate the fact that he has the courage to be different.

I think many people attack Kanye because he has zero problem attacking other people. C'mon look at who he checked - Taylor Swift and Beck...2 people that are softer than baby thighs. He tried to check Justin Timberlake because he was jealous of Jigga and Suit and Tie and backtracked uurly. Sucka moves.

Yes, Beck does use session musicians...but, he orchestrates the music that they play. Big difference between that and just being a project manager while everyone else freestyles to your drum beat.

Listen to Beck's NPR interview from almost a year ago regarding the making of Morning Phase and read about how he had to troubleshoot the orchestra he hired for the song Wave. IMO not the best album of the year, but you're a gotdaym fool if you think it's not artistic.

How do you figure? Please name one instrument (besides a drum machine and MIDI keyboard) that Kanye can play?

Quincy is a classical composer - does Kanye even play/compose the piano/strings/live bass in his songs?

quincy didn't compose shit on any of those great albums. neither did he play any instruments or mix any songs.

hes a really weird introverted type nigga...I believe music is his best form of expression, I think he really is a genius.

Go listen to "I am God" off of Yeezus in the middle of a forest.

You will get why he is the best.

He creates a swag that is much rawer than other people you might think are great artists.

To illustrate how much real artists respect him, Bret Easton Ellis the writer of American Psycho had him on his podcast twice.

And BEE is known to be an art snob.

So Kanye has a lot of weight amongst other artists and has a lot of credibility as a genius artist.

I do admit some stuff is too deep and goes over peoples heads, thats why you hear people act like he's just some troll. But the meat is there, he is legit by all critical measures.

His newest stuff of these last couple weeks is wack tho. But on purpose in a way. He talks about going back into childhood as an artist making more and more obscure stuff until he is completely "free" as an artist.

Back