I'd have said which elvis?

Presley
Costello
Crespo
Maswanganyi
Perkins
Kurtovich

are all notable musicians

let alone the 22 sports, political and radio/journalists :)

How many truly classic timeless songs does Jay-Z have compared to let's say a Tupac or Eminem

^^^Eminem????

I'm tired of the word "timeless" in reference to music, it's misused due to opinions. And I was just bumpin Em last night. So if I went by my immediate surroundings, I'd agree. Who the f**k is still playing "Slim Shady Please Stand Up?" The same circle still playing "Hard Knock Life". Both are as "Timeless" in hip hop as as Mobb Deep, The Lox, CNN, Cam'ron, ect. Neither have records with replay value on the level(numbers are real)as Sir Mix A Lot's "Baby Got Back".

The point I'm getting to is, to challenge something being more of a "timeless classic" than something else, there has to be some system in order beyond opinion. There's guyss from the burbs who've never heard a hip hop album other than Em's shyt like there's guys from the hood who never heard an Em album all the way through but can recite album after album from Jay. Neither of these guys get current spins from old stuff. Neither have had huge success beyond a short timespan with singles. Both sold shyt loads of albums. That means they've got "timeless classic" albums, more so than songs. You wanna talk songs, neither is Sir Mix A Lot, and no one, I mean no one knows what ALBUM "Baby got back" was on without googling it.

Last edited:
In my opinion songs like Cleanin' Out My Closet, Stan, Lose Yourself and The Way I Am are much more accessible to even younger generations now than most of Jay-Z's older tracks. And as for Pac I don't even need to get into that he had 3/4 of those songs on every record he put out.

In my opinion...
My point. In someone else's opinion "Hard Knock life" or "Dead Presidents" holds the same weight. Neither artist have phenomenal replay value in the world of accountable numbers. I purposely left out 2Pac who does. Chris Rock just created a movie called top 5 where over and over again prople mentioned their top 5 hip hop artists. Em was never mentioned, even by Seinfield who mentioned Wale and...go figure...Sir Mix A Lot.

I'm not saying you're right/wrong, Im just saying everyone's opinionated, and numbers say hip hop past like 1989 doesn't equate to "timeless classics". PM dawn is more "timeless classic" than Jay or Em. 2pac, different story, more than likely due to his passing. The day Jay or Em passes, things may be different.

Last edited:
My point. In someone else's opinion "Hard Knock life" or "Dead Presidents" holds the same weight. Neither artist have phenomenal replay value in the world of accountable numbers. I purposely left out 2Pac who does. Mix Chris Rock just created a movie called top 5 where over and over again prople mentioned their top 5 hip hop artists. Em was never mentioned, even by Seinfield who mentioned Wale and...go figure...Sir A Lot.

I'm not saying you're right/wrong, Im just saying everyone's opinionated, and numbers say hip hop past like 1989 doesn't equate to "timeless classics". PM dawn is more "timeless classic" than Jay or Em. 2pac, different story, more than likely due to his passing. The day Jay or Em passes, things may be different.
Happy 10 yrs on FP, my wise FP friend.

You can read between the lines and understand the Em thing. He' a Hall of Fame type cat to me but I won't rank him.

I'm an album cat, I think comparing albums gives a better view of the artist than singles.

I also think that the fact that Hip-Hop is relatively young genre and we can't evaluate an ol school classic on the same grounds as we do as Jay or Em (different numbers).

Rakim "Paid in Full"

Slick Rick "Children's Stories"

That's timeless classics. I don't mean that numbers wise (even though that's when going gold was the goal and platinum was a dream). I just mean in all music genre's there usually is a consensus of sorts on what the key works/albums/pieces/tunes that represent the foundations of the form or classic works. I don't think the first couple decades of hip-hop can be evaluated by numbers or what young suburbanites know.

As far as Elvis, see Chuck D.

Last edited:
It's terrible to you 'cause you don't know what The King represents to Black America in regards to our musical heritage.

Some fans or someone from the industry named him "the king of rock and roll" in no way does that make Elvis a straight up racist :sigh:

Terrible line on a huge song. Ironically, James Brown and Elvis were like brothers.
Oh wow, I guess we disagree again.
In the context of what PE represented at the time, combined with the historic symbolism of Elvis and John Wayne in the black community in the 1980s I think it was a great line.

In the context of what PE represented at the time, combined with the historic symbolism of Elvis and John Wayne in the black community in the 1980s I think it was a great line.

It's a cheap line. Using lies and hate to fight the power makes you no better than the oppressor. Falsely accusing people of being racist helps no one.

It's a cheap line. Using lies and hate to fight the power makes you no better than the oppressor. Falsely accusing people of being racist helps no one.

Your getting a little carried away with the line, and missing the broader context of the time period, song, and the known animosity, on the part of some blacks, that exist toward both the guys.
I'm sure you know about issues of acculturation that are connected with Elvis (by the way James was a brilliant musician, but not the best musical representative in terms of political consciousness), and John Wayne well you just have to get the context.
Ain't no love lost

Flavor Flav's classic "MF him and John Wayne"(lol).The follow up line" Most of my heroes don't appear on a stamp" was just as powerful.

Last edited:
Can u compare jay-z to elvis??? jay-z is a way different animal.....I worship the man, ... hes been my main role model for a grip. I love his message. Plus he got some hot beats....He's a boss....I like all types of stuff though, ...but Lil Wayne was my second favorite when he spit that verse on loud pipes. Plus i bought eminems first album when everybody else thought he was wack....i cant even talk to niggaz about hip-hop cuz they dont know whats hot....

Back