Jay-Z is "a joke" - Sage Francis a truly great rapper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheVariousArtist said:
Sage Francis is very very good.

Jay-Z is overrated.

But both of those things are just my opinions, Jay has made some nice stuff you're entitled to like him.

Now, that's the kind of sharing of an opinion I consider intelligent. :-)

PG

PlanetHitzProduction said:
I think what Project Girl was trying to say was that it is even more offensive because one artist was degraded to nothing for sake of lifting another dude up.

That is stupid.

EXACTLY precisely what I'm trying to say. Thanks, PHP.

PG

Last edited by a moderator:
that dude is strange. Jay Z is the best rapper alive hands down. You can't argue with his classic albums Reasonable Doubt, Hardknock Life, The Blueprint (imo the best hip hop album ever), The Black Album. I have a hard time finding better Rap albums than any of these

Villainaire said:
When Hov dies he'll go down as the greatest EVER... Watch... ;)
You could argue that he is the greatest ever now let alone when he dies. I love 2pac I love Biggie and I love Pun but none of them could pull of what Jigga did. Mainstream appeal but still street. Control the charts for the better part of 10 years. Kingdom Come is argueably his worst album tho Id argue that Vol. 3 is his worst and they are still better than 90% of the music to come out since 1999 that says alot

I think what Project Girl was trying to say was that it is even more offensive because one artist was degraded to nothing for sake of lifting another dude up.

That is stupid.

If you want me to listen to this cat, just pass the myspace link and keep it movin, give me some history on these dudes then pass the link but nooooooo dudes always gotta talk reckless to prove their point! As if to give whoever they consider *real* more validity.

I guess you gotta let the person decide.....can also apply to Conscious vs Commercial (yea I hate the stereotyping names) argument.

Just like if you were trying to put a Dirty South *fan* up on some Common you wouldn't say "get some real rap in your system, dont know why you listening to this garbage" *hands him BE*. I can pretty much bet that, that CD wouldnt even be opened due to your attitude, it'll be smarter to just luck up and hop in the whip wit a Jeezy (just as an example.) fan and play a club track by your artist in the car, or some club ish you like...kinda like The Official by Jaylib or Can You Believe It by Styles P.....strike up a convo and hey, you got a new fan. (really works if you got an artist and make GOOD relatable music)

Anyways I'm ramblin again, let me go mix somethin
your posts are getting meaner and meaner i love it

WOW!!!..this is rediculous..Jay-z made it through pure talent..dude could rap and thats why hes in the place he is now...who the fu<k is this sage francis guy??...a nobody...you can say jay-z's name anywhere and people will know who he is and thats shows that he is the best..this francis joker is just a noone tryin to get attention...pay him no attention

thenewbian said:
who the fu<k is this sage francis guy??...a nobody...you can say jay-z's name anywhere and people will know who he is and thats shows that he is the best..this francis joker is just a noone tryin to get attention...pay him no attention
LOL, ignorant.

Talent should not be measured by mainstream success.

So youre saying Jay-z's not talented??..and when i said that yeah its true thats not always the case but in this case it is...cause gauranteed you can take any random 10 jay-z tracks and it will smash 10 of these dudes tracks

thenewbian said:
So youre saying Jay-z's not talented??..and when i said that yeah its true thats not always the case but in this case it is...cause gauranteed you can take any random 10 jay-z tracks and it will smash 10 of these dudes tracks

some niggas are stupid.... ay how can you sit there and talk about somebody you've never even heard..... YOU DONT EVEN KNOW WHO SAGE FRANCIS IS........ theres lots of underground rappers i could name right now and you be like who? who? who are they... thats because your mind is stuck in that mainstream bull**** you call music....

I had met ole' Sage the other month at paid dues. i was working the Murs booth and he sat there and spoke with Mur's parents for a good hour or so..he is a kool dude..but that being said, i never even listened to him...and i didn't even check him out when he peformed or had the urge to

someone else said earlier that music is subjective..and this is true..so that is just one man's opinion

also though, you have to remember that the mind frame of these "die hard, indie backpack rappers" is that mainstream/commercial rap sucks...so talk like that goes on all the time..if someone at paid dues was like who do i dig as a rapper and i said TI or kanye, or someone like that..i would have been hung in the public courtyard...lol..but that is just how it goes...

i mean, think about this too..u are a rapper..u see jay z drop an album and sell like 800,000 in the first week..and goes platinum less than two...and then you are an underground rapper who has to drive urself to different cities, set up and manage ur own booking, your own pay, ur own accommodations, your own merch table...hell yeah u could prolly gain a lil bitterness in the process...lol

InfamousKlassactt said:
some niggas are stupid.... ay how can you sit there and talk about somebody you've never even heard..... YOU DONT EVEN KNOW WHO SAGE FRANCIS IS........ theres lots of underground rappers i could name right now and you be like who? who? who are they... thats because your mind is stuck in that mainstream bull**** you call music....

my point exactly about the die hard backpacker hip hop fans..hehe

Last edited:
TheVariousArtist said:
Talent should not be measured by mainstream success.

You have a point. And yet, if millions of people like something, it does make sense to at least shrug and let them, and stop insisting that it's terrible. I think.

This wasn't supposed to be a backpackers vs. whatever argument. I actually REALLY like artists in both of those "categories" and the categories in between. I imagine a lot of other people here do too. Some, maybe not, but that's ok too.

That's the point. There's all kinds of music. I believe we should all let other people be fans of whatever they want, even if we think it's total crap. Maybe there's a time to say honestly that you think it's crap, and WHY. But a lot of the time, I think it's best to just let people have their music and be cool about it. That's why I was pissed at this person, because he wasn't giving me any space at all to just like what I like.

I can see getting mad at Clear Channel or whatever (good for Sage Francis for showing attitude about that, by the way) because they feed the public an ever-changing series of manufactured pop songs performed by one or two of the latest "artists", chosen for the way they look on video.

But I can't see getting hostile to fans for liking what they like.

I hear a lot of what I think of as garbagey music among the mainstream pop. But once in a while there'll be a song that I just love and have a lot of fun with. You never know when a new Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder or Bob Marley is going to arise and become mainstream because they're just so damn good that EVERYBODY likes their music.

Peace,

PG

Well I guess you can say that.
dont be so humble about it. say some of the stuff u say on yahoo. this dude is pg13 here hes really real on yahoo lol

Xabiton said:
dont be so humble about it. say some of the stuff u say on yahoo. this dude is pg13 here hes really real on yahoo lol

LOL! Nahh....haha get my *Deranged* on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back