Industry Observation 10: People Don't Know S****

Dot_Robinson

Psalms 37:4
About a year and a half ago I stumbled upon the Myspace page of a very well known manager and label exec. Now I'm not going to reveal his identity because that would be in bad taste, but let's just say this gentlemen is sitting on millions and is managing one of the most sought after producers in the game.

Being the ******* that I am, I decided to test this gentlemen's music taste and see if he really has an ear for hit records.

I'm not one to contact people via Myspace (unless I have to), but I decided to send him a friend request to see if he would respond. Sure enough by the days end I was on his friends list.

I send him a brief message with a description of who I am, where I am from, and a run down of my business intentions. Long story short, I asked that he grant me permission to send him a copy of my first "single". To my surprise he says "yes".

At this point I really have no intention of sending him a real song, but more so something from someone already in the industry. I look threw my mp3 folder and find Ryan Leslie's Diamond Girl, which at the time was very underground R&B and had not become the HUGE hit it was destined to become.

I upload the song onto z-s-h-a-r-e and send him a link via Myspace to the song.

A few days later I get a response (ANOTHER SHOCKER).

Needless to say...this guy trashed the song. He said:

I really don't know where to begin. This record is horrible. The concept and chorus are just too corny for mainstream R&B or Pop. Granted, the mixing is superb, I doubt any label would want to clear this sample. If your going to sample a record, at least make it sound like an original piece. You might have some of what it takes to make it someday, but right now, records like this aren't cutting it. Listen to your local radio station and hear what people are listening to. Gauge the commercial viability of your music by that of what the radio is willing to play.

I burst into laughter three months later when the record blew up. I thought to myself:

"What the **** do these people really know at the end of the day?".

Like Russel Simmons said; *In a lisp* "Do You".

100% truth.

Last edited:
That is one of my biggest problems with the industry, and most of life (haha).

How does a college dropout who doesn't play any instruments or sing know more about it than me or some other random on FP? Because of their position, you assume they have it together, but many of them are just guessing at this sh!t as well.

And the moral of the story is...don't take R. Les' music and claim it as your own...joke lol.
I would understand if he was a singer and felt threatened by your music, but I dunno.

I thought Diamond Girl pretty much tanked? at least there's no buzz over it. And quite frankly, it's corny like R Les too.

I just find it 'normal' for someone to feel like there is something missing from a song, especially, when it comes from people who claim to be in the industry. I guess we listen with an ear that is different from that of a consumer.

I thought Diamond Girl pretty much tanked? at least there's no buzz over it. And quite frankly, it's corny like R Les too.

why would there be a buzz over that record now? its like 2 years old did what its supposed and now RLes is on his second album.

you must be the dude the OP sent the song to, lol

Dot_Robinson, good work. ALTHOUGH, you pretty much sabotaged your chances of sending that manager anything again - even if you used a fake account, I'm sure he won't be so trusting ever again. So you screwed it up for everyone else too. You buttmunch :)

Does this manager manage a guy who has an "al" in his producing name?

Last edited:
Prolly not Dre. I reckon Tim or Danja. Actually since he didn't know this song it might be someone more old school like Swizz or Preemo.

Dot_Robinson, good work. ALTHOUGH, you pretty much sabotaged your chances of sending that manager anything again - even if you used a fake account, I'm sure he won't be so trusting ever again. So you screwed it up for everyone else too. You buttmunch :)

Does this manager manage a guy who has an "al" in his producing name?

Well I was (and still am) in a position where I don't care. Getting 'put on' was not my biggest concern at that point (still isn't). I was more so focused on entrepreneurial movements that put money directly in my pocket and not in the hands of a label where the money would dissolve into a fraction of what it was initially.

Secondly, the gentlemen didn't know I was testing him, therefore, your more than welcome to send him your demo at anytime. I didn't ruin anyone's chances at getting 'put on'.

everyone that has ever been a hit in any part of the entertainment industry has been turned down with teh very material that made them famous....

this post is right up there with saying......"the sky is blue"

it gets the captain obvious award for the day....

it's not surprising. Niggas passed on "Whoa." Christina Milian passed on SOS. Hell, Britney Spears passed on Umbrella. So just because you thought I was hot doesn't mean he should. I'm sure you disliked joints that end up being hits and vice versa. And apparetly dudes judgement ain't to bad...

everyone that has ever been a hit in any part of the entertainment industry has been turned down with teh very material that made them famous....

this post is right up there with saying......"the sky is blue"

it gets the captain obvious award for the day....

The moral of the story is "just do you".

You get the "it flew over my head because I'm a smart ass" badge. Wear it with honor my friend. :cheers:

I'll add my 2 cents... big deal.

Get used to the jackasses in this industry they only multiply over time.

One day they'll figure out the truth that better money is made elsewhere.

Back