Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If You Were Wondering about those Pharrell Chords

Thanks

If You Were Wondering about those Pharrell Chords

Sign in to disable this ad
    If you were curious about those chords from the Pharrell beatmaking video for the 'Midnight Hour' song...

I was playing through Nas' Illmatic album, and in my iTunes library Nat King Cole comes after Nas. So after the last track, it rolled over, and it turns out that the intro to Nat's "Just You, Just Me" has those chords. The tunes (or whoever it was that laid the specific chords used in that song) replayed them slower, in a higher key with a more r&b feel, with the same 4-chord loop but starting on the second chord instead of the first.

Crazy how things get from one form to another.

Yet another reminder to listen to all types of music. You never know where inspiration is gonna come from.
    Last edited by codexlf; 08-26-2006 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks
    yea im sure he gets inspiration from other genres, but they're just major 7th chords. everyone either uses or has used major 7th chord progressions at some point in their career. he could've gotten the inspiration from anyone or he couldve jus been playin around on the keyboard and came up with it. pharrell says himself that he loves chords and his favorite are major 7ths. i dunno, it could be a coincidence considering how different the two songs are although there are some subtle similarities between them.
    Last edited by Cam'rox; 08-26-2006 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam'rox
    yea im sure he gets inspiration from other genres, but they're just major 7th chords. everyone either uses or has used major 7th chord progressions at some point in their career. he could've gotten the inspiration from anyone or he couldve jus been playin around on the keyboard and came up with it. pharrell says himself that he loves chords and his favorite are major 7ths. i dunno, it could be a coincidence considering how different the two songs are although there are some subtle similarities between them.
    the chords are *the same* chords as the ones in the intro, in the same order, repeated the same way. that's more than "subtle similarities!" It's not a very typical chord progression, like I IV V or something like that.
    Last edited by codexlf; 08-26-2006 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks
    can you upload the Nat King Cole song for us? I'm not very familiar with his work

Thanks
    and the nat album is called "midnight sessions"

oh and by the way , only one chord is a major 7
    Last edited by California; 08-26-2006 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by California
    and the nat album is called "midnight sessions"

oh and by the way , only one chord is a major 7
    Do you mean "After Midnight"

Thanks
    hes not that tight that im gonna memorize his album . its somethin like that

Thanks
    Nat King Cole aint that tight?? are you serious? Nat and his trio are incredible!
    Last edited by wescadwell; 08-26-2006 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks
    Yeah man, a lot of dudes sleep on Nat because they just heard him sing the christmas song or whatever, but if you listen to his real trio music it's crazy, he was a sick, sick pianist

And yeah about the albums, there are After Midnight (which is one of my favorites), and the 'Cool Cole' box set I got this song from. 4 cds of the early days when the focus was really on the trio sound.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wescadwell
    Nat King Cole aint that tight?? are you serious? Nat and his trio are incredible!

I was going to comment on it, but I didn't want this thread to turn sour...

Thread Information