How many of you guys actually Buy Music?

KelevraOne

Not too Kelevra son
How many of you guys actually buy music? and if you don't why not? I understand streaming music if you don't want to actually purchase it. I've started about a year ago to actually either streaming or buying albums mainly because I'd feel like a hypocrite for wanting people to buy my music, but refusing to buy the music of my contemporaries. Anyone else feel similar?

I usually only buy music from an artist that I have a connection with; it's usually artists that have been around since the 90s like R.kelly, Mariah Carey, Jay-Z, Nas etc. I have to really like a new school artist's work in order to buy their music, i.e. Kendrick, J.Cole Wale and Jazmine Sullivan, who all had really good new albums. I've spent alot on music within the last year as well. I've bought 10 albums within the last year so. I also have a Tidal and SiriusXM account, lol. Some people don't see the point in buying music when it can be downloaded for free, but I think everyone should atleast have a music streaming account. It's only $10 a month

Last edited:
I go to itunes every tues, scan the clips for anything that sounds good, and buy it. If I hear a song on spotify, youtube, or pandora that I like, I go to itunes and buy the album it's on. I have about 4,000 albums I've bought. Anything since CD print are all in digital form on my computer(around 3,500 albums). I roughly estimate that I've spent $40,000 on music(avg of $10 per album been thru some bargain bins, and bought some albums that were 18.99+, but, rough estimate). My problem these days is I don't hear many albums that are good enough to buy.

My last purchases were "The Beast is G-Unit" EP, the 50 Shades of Grey Soundtrack, Shannon "Let the music play" album from 1984(for 3 bucks), Fall Out Boy, Big Sean, Hozier, and Elle King. I didn't purchase Drake, Jodeci, Kendrick, K. Michelle, Rae Shremmurd, or J.Cole, because I was not into the music enough. Didn't purchase Selena Gomez, because it was "greatest hits" from her other 2 albums I already own. Want Bush's digitally remastered Sixteen Stone, but own the CD, feel like that's a waste. I don't think I've found anything interesting on iTunes the last few weeks I've gone to check for new stuff. I'll probably break down and pick up Neyo's album today for something new to hear.

I have an addiction to music that is no longer being fed. I have to rely on finding old stuff in bargain bins these days.

Told the story on here before... I lost my iTunes library (and entire HD) the day I went out to buy a backup drive. Came home, turned on the Mac to hook up the drive, and it went kaput. The irony haunts me to this day.

So I went the streaming route to save time and money. I wasn't about to recover all that music the hard way. Clogging up my harddrive with thousands of mp3s wasn't an appealing option again either. I have enough space taken up for my own music's wavs and all that. Rhapsody has been great. I just listened to an entire Jeff Beck live album I normally would not have outright bought. The freedom and risk-free approach is nice.

deRanged... streaming is the music addict's best option, IMO. Pay the monthly equivalent of one iTunes album, and listen to literally anything, from any era. Can't beat it!

My latest purchase is TPAB. Otherwise I stream. I don't necessarily buy music that I like, I buy music that is important.

Fifty Shades of Grey OST has a few songs that I like, but Earned It is on another level. It just sounds bigger than anything I've heard in a while.

I own the 20$ version of Tidal and I'm satisfied, I don't think I ever physically bought a album wit my money lol I'm 22

Told the story on here before... I lost my iTunes library (and entire HD) the day I went out to buy a backup drive. Came home, turned on the Mac to hook up the drive, and it went kaput. The irony haunts me to this day.

So I went the streaming route to save time and money. I wasn't about to recover all that music the hard way. Clogging up my harddrive with thousands of mp3s wasn't an appealing option again either. I have enough space taken up for my own music's wavs and all that. Rhapsody has been great. I just listened to an entire Jeff Beck live album I normally would not have outright bought. The freedom and risk-free approach is nice.

deRanged... streaming is the music addict's best option, IMO. Pay the monthly equivalent of one iTunes album, and listen to literally anything, from any era. Can't beat it!

I stream on Pandora and Spotify. But if I lose my entire iTunes Library(like 700gb), I can just get another HD, go to itunes and waste a week of life downloading it all again. Just go to your purchased history. Adding all the CDs again will take a month though, lol.

Keep in mind i sample, and when I mix, I reference alot, so it's good to have hard copies on deck.

Last edited:
All I do is buy these days.
The last two albums I bought were Kamasi Washington-The Epic and To Pimp a Butterfly. Throw in some jazz albums at a rate of about two a month and a bunch of singles I heard off Pandora. I love the idea that I can (usually) buy something I hear off of Pandora. What pisses me off is when I hear a song I want to buy and its unavailable for purchase in iTunes, sometimes on some "ALBUM ONLY" shit or not on iTunes at all. Even worse is when they stream a rare b-side or a song from a long out-of-print recording. I don't know how it is for other genres, but this is commonplace on jazz streams. So I can stream a song, but not buy it? MMMmmmmkkkkkaaay, so you don't want my money-huh?

I stream on Pandora and Spotify. But if I lose my entire iTunes Library(like 700gb), I can just get another HD, go to itunes and waste a week of life downloading it all again. Just go to your purchased history. Adding all the CDs again will take a month though, lol.

Yeah at the time, this stuff was pretty new. My library was mostly my CDs and CDs I borrowed from my friends (we had a huge exchange thing going on when iTunes became "the way"). This included bootlegs, live albums, rarities, along with classic studio albums. My actual iTunes Store purchase history is kinda thin.

I stream people like drake but jazz or soul of any kind and anime stuff I get the cds if possible.
Vitaminless is prolly the next album I' getting cd of. Then wild arms cds since all I can find of wild arms 3 is just youtube quality instead of lossless wav from the game etc.

As far as physical purchases, I haven't copped CDs since 2008. To this day, I still go record vinyl digging. My GF used to sell bootleg CDs in the early 2000s and I'd cop them for $5.

On the net I mess with iTunes and Google Play, but everyone just emails me new music for free.

I haven't spent no more than $1.00 on recent music.

There's nothing exciting about going out to buy music these days.

Last edited:
I use legal chanels as close to the artist/label as possible.

When it's really good I buy it. If it's somewhat ok but not good enough to buy I use Pandora/Spotify.

If it's youtube/soundcloud, I hit the artist & labels official page.

I do not fool with torrents and illegal means. I've wrecked too many computers and phones over the years with virus/bugs so I stay far away from illegal media.

I use legal chanels as close to the artist/label as possible.

When it's really good I buy it. If it's somewhat ok but not good enough to buy I use Pandora/Spotify.

If it's youtube/soundcloud, I hit the artist & labels official page.

I do not fool with torrents and illegal means. I've wrecked too many computers and phones over the years with virus/bugs so I stay far away from illegal media.

Yeah, people say torrents are save.. Dabbling in that stuff is like walking thru a minefield.

I'm surprised and pleased by the feedback. A lot of my friends give me grief for actually buying an album or a song. I tell them why I do it and they're confused.

I stream music, it's just way more reasonable with paying a specific fee and you can access pretty much (almost) every album from decades ago to now. On the other hand, if it's an artist that I personally admire, I'll buy their records just for keepsake such as outkast, I'll get the CD and the Vinyl. I don't judge those who don't buy music because 9 times out of 10, they just don't have enough money to be a music buyer.

Yeah at the time, this stuff was pretty new. My library was mostly my CDs and CDs I borrowed from my friends (we had a huge exchange thing going on when iTunes became "the way"). This included bootlegs, live albums, rarities, along with classic studio albums. My actual iTunes Store purchase history is kinda thin.
Always worth backing up to an external also. I'm on a Mac, so you know I'll feel invincible until I lose everything, but now...I think I'll back up my albums. I always do songs I've created.

I buy from artist I like. I donate to indy artist who I respect (may not be feeling their music). I spotify the rest.

Back