How long until I can make a good beat?

K

Kid inc.

I know this may seem like a "newb" question with no distinct answer but Im just looking for an estimate, Ive always wanted to make beats but because I went to play college basketball I never could find the time to actually sit down and learn about all this information and get familiar with a program. I have reason four and an axiom keyboard and Im starting from the bottom (youtube tutorials, playing around with reason getting to know it, and surfing around this site at all the info) BUT I am commited because even if this never makes me a dollar I think It would be awesome to make a dope beat and have someone turn it into a dope song. Im wondering.... with dedication how long will it be until I can make some good sounding beats that legit artists would even think about using.... keep in mind Its not like im devoting every hour of every day to it..... I probably have a couple hours a day to work on the craft.... any feedback would be great.

Well that's impossible to answer. You'll pretty much suck at first, but you'll feel like your music is the sh*t.

You might excel, maybe not excel but you get the point, at a certain aspect (for example, coming up with dope melodies which isn't hard to do) but you'll definitely be lacking in other departments, so just work on your craft and it'll come to you.

And when you find what your good at, you'll find what your not so good at. Mixing will probably, actually definitely be a problem, but if you study and do research, and just work at it, it'll all come together.

Mixing everything together is very, very tough because it can be very hard to make sure everything blends together nicely. Mixing is an art in itself, but once you get the beats down to where you know your music will shine if you have a good mix, that's when you can worry about that aspect. For now just focus on making dope beats, that's what it starts with anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as it takes you to learn. Practice and playing around with music is as valuable as learning theory and techniques though.

You'll pretty much suck at first, but you'll feel like your music is the sh*t.

I went back the other day and listened to my older stuff and I was like 'WHAT WAS I THINKING!' but there was like 1 track that sounded decent :rofl:

but ya, it takes time. C419 basically said everything. My only advice is to just have fun and constantly evolve.

Work hard and try to get feedback from other people.

Use criticism to your advantage and you'll be fine.

It's all on YOU. It can happen very rapidly if you got that type of drive to do what it takes to get the job done. Remember your beat doesn't have to be complex to be dope... It can be simple and still be hot.

Well I've been doing it for 2 years and I just had this dope rapper make a really good track out of it. i'm really excited to show people on here but I gotta wait until his mixtape drops.

Idk but generally to make a beat that someone would buy probably around 2-4 years. To make a beat that you actually had fun doing and think its descent maybe 4 months.

I would recommend FL Studio though, much more intuitive for a beginner.

damn where to start making a beat is cool but once you start mixing youll be on another level cause making a beat thats decent but making a beat sound full an plush is just an art not a hobby ,in time youll find out if your serious enough to learn the inns an outs to make your music sound as good as you want it to be .its all on u

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've been doing it for 2 years and I just had this dope rapper make a really good track out of it. i'm really excited to show people on here but I gotta wait until his mixtape drops.

Idk but generally to make a beat that someone would buy probably around 2-4 years. To make a beat that you actually had fun doing and think its descent maybe 4 months.

I would recommend FL Studio though, much more intuitive for a beginner.
that long? my tracks aren't the greatest and really werent at my 2 year mark but I sold my first beat after 6 months

nothing wrong with giving them away as long as you are building yourself a nice catalog of music. I tend to look for artists to do entire projects with. If I can find an artist to do a whole project with I have been known to give those beats away for free. The larger your catalog the more money you can generally ask for.

Yeah it is probably more worthwhile in the long run. I am working on a demo for an artist at the moment. More quality than quantity is the aim.

that long? my tracks aren't the greatest and really werent at my 2 year mark but I sold my first beat after 6 months

I dunno about Wedges but some beatmakers just don't reach a lot of artists. A rapper who is a friend of a friend wanted to hear some of my beats. He wanted to buy one that I made just months shy of the one year mark. He wanted exclusive for $25. I was like gtfo. That was my first and probably last (for awhile) experience shopping beats.

Back