How did Lyor Cohen turn trash like Fetty Wap into a star?

Seriously, how the hell did he do it? There has to be more to it than just radio doing its magic. Why sign trash when there are so many good or at least decent artists out there? How do you justify investing money into a song that needs to be heard 5 to 15 times before the memes and shit-tier lyrics and beats can become catchy, instead of promoting songs that are actually good on a first listen? ("Trap Queen" was out for about 6 months before becoming a hit,same with his other songs).

These guys are obviously doing something different, any idea what exactly?

investing money? lol he threw it on sound cloud and it spread organically... blame the people not lyor bro..

investing money? lol he threw it on sound cloud and it spread organically... blame the people not lyor bro..

The song was already out for at least 6 months and it only became a hit once he signed with the label. So why would he sign a deal if the song was already a hit? Is he stupid? Look how much radio play he's getting, you think that's a coincidence? Songs don't just become hits organically, at some point someone has to invest money in it.

J. Cole's album went platinum and he never had a billboard top10 song. Think about it, a million people BOUGHT his album and that still didn't cause any of his songs to go top10 "organically"... Same thing with Drake, no top10 songs in past 2 or 3 years. But Fetty Wap had three top10 songs in the past month?

The song was already out for at least 6 months and it only became a hit once he signed with the label. So why would he sign a deal if the song was already a hit? Is he stupid? Look how much radio play he's getting, you think that's a coincidence? Songs don't just become hits organically, at some point someone has to invest money in it.

J. Cole's album went platinum and he never had a billboard top10 song. Think about it, a million people BOUGHT his album and that still didn't cause any of his songs to go top10 "organically"... Same thing with Drake, no top10 songs in past 2 or 3 years. But Fetty Wap had three top10 songs in the past month?

Preach.

Listen to Breakfast Club and Hot 97 interviews - the DJ's (the tastemakers of radio rap) on their own channels will complain routinely about WHY songs are on heavy rotation, how long it takes for a song to become a "hit" and why certain artists are pushed over others.

Nothing "organically" happens when it comes to Money and Business.

"Overnight success typically takes 15 years".

None of this stuff is hidden from the public. Maclemore and Ryan Lewis paid a consulting agency to get their stuff on the radio. There were many articles written about it, people just chose to ignore it.

Funny thing, i remember watching this PBS documentary about the marketing and some dude had a PR firm that hired a bunch of people to post stuff on the internet forums,they worked with record labels and what not...and you could actually see some guy trying to hype a Talib Kweli album. A got damn Talib Kweli album. This was like 10 years ago, around the time "The Beautiful Struggle" dropped. But Talib's success in this industry seems so organic, right?

Last edited:
None of this stuff is hidden from the public. Maclemore and Ryan Lewis paid a consulting agency to get their stuff on the radio. There were many articles written about it, people just chose to ignore it.

Funny thing, i remember watching this PBS documentary about the marketing and some dude had a PR firm that hired a bunch of people to post stuff on the internet forums,they worked with record labels and what not...and you could actually see some guy trying to hype a Talib Kweli album. A got damn Talib Kweli album. This was like 10 years ago, around the time "The Beautiful Struggle" dropped. But Talib's success in this industry seems so organic, right?

Talib's success was more organic than 99% of artists out since he started on Rawkus records with Black Star in the 90's and had hits on the radio...but, we see how successful organic labels do since Rawkus is no longer and the big 3 labels control the radio.

Talib's success was more organic than 99% of artists out since he started on Rawkus records with Black Star in the 90's and had hits on the radio...but, we see how successful organic labels do since Rawkus is no longer and the big 3 labels control the radio.

Rawkus was owned by News Corporation. Just google that. :)

Rawkus was owned by News Corporation. Just google that. :)

"Rawkus Records was established in 1995 by Brian Brater and Jarret Myer, with financial backing from James Murdoch,[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP] son of Rupert Murdoch. In 1999 the label entered into a distribution deal with Priority Records.
Over the years, Rawkus has recorded several notable independent hip hop artists,[SUP][4][/SUP] including Reflection Eternal, Company Flow, the High and Mighty, Mos Def and Talib Kweli (as Blackstar), Eminem, Common, Pharoahe Monch, Block Speakers and Skillz.
In 2002, Rawkus signed a joint venture deal with MCA. Soon after, MCA folded and Interscope/Geffen bought Rawkus. After the sale of its catalog in 2004, Rawkus split from Geffen.
In 2006, Rawkus signed with RED, a Sony Music distribution company and reemerged with a new line up of notable independent hip hop artists.
In early 2007, Rawkus Records accepted album submissions from Hip Hop artists, known or unknown, to be considered for their new campaign. The 50 artists chosen to wear the Rawkus 50 badge were signed to a digital distribution deal through IODA's (Independent Online Distribution Alliance) digital distribution network and had their albums released under the banner "Rawkus 50 presents". Among the 50 were artists including Custom Made,L.E.G.A.C.Y. and Pizon."

Didn't see anything about NewsCorp or Rupert...can you site? And doesn't surprise me Rupert would shut down the most powerful independent hip hop label...

Last edited:
OMG this industry is controlled by money??

/sarcasm

Really, if you want to hear talented artists and musicians, just go listen to them. They're readily available basically anywhere online or in the world - just maybe not on commercial-based Pop radio.

Didn't see anything about NewsCorp or Rupert...can you site? And doesn't surprise me Rupert would shut down the most powerful independent hip hop label...

News Corp is the reason they were successful. They spent millions on breaking new artists like Mos-Def and Kweli. Where do you think they got the money from?
Just goes to show how ridiculous these DIY stories are, Rawkus was the holly grail of indie Hip Hop, turns out they were owned by possibly the biggest media corporation of all times. :sigh:

James has been at News Corp. since 1996, when the company bought an 80 percent stake in his start-up Rawkus hip-hop record label for an undisclosed sum. Rawkus closed in 2004.

This is a must read https://myspace.com/article/2014/04/16/the-oral-history-of-rawkus-records

IPM Music said:
OMG this industry is controlled by money??

/sarcasm

Really, if you want to hear talented artists and musicians, just go listen to them. They're readily available basically anywhere online or in the world - just maybe not on commercial-based Pop radio.

That's not really the point. The point is - what new techniques is 300 using to make trash like Fetty Wep successful.;)

Last edited:
Sure, but more talent could possible lead towards more money. The idea that you can't have a hit song unless it's instant, mindless, degeneracy worshiping tune...could be wrong.

The problem with that is the people with less talent have more grind than the people with more talent.

Hustle > Talent

yeah idk all that mainstream music sounds the same to me.. I know I have heard his music but honestly I couldn't tell him from Future, Migos or any other shit that is on the radio... You don't have to be talented to be on the radio.. that is obvious.. you people who sayin he must be talented cuz he on the radio don't know shit bout the music biz... Pro Tools and other DAWS have changed the game so that now anyone can do music and the music game I so lame saturated with bull shit music cuz it is basically free for anyone to make music now... Lyor put him on cuz he has a catchy song that children can sing along to for a year or so, collect all his cash cuz he is on a 360 deal, then after his album and song sales stop he is gonna drop him from the label and off the face of the earth like all the other horrible pop-ish shitty rappers from 2005 to present... Huey, Jibbs, Hurricane Chris, that "This is why im hot" guy, V.I.C., ect, ect, ect, ect,ect.... where they at now... they all got dropped after they first album.. in these days it pays more for a record company to sign a rapper with a catchy one hit wonder song to a shitty 360 deal and then drop him and go on to sign the next one hit wonder than it is to sign a serious rapper and keep putting money into him album after album cuz some albums may eventually flop... signing a one hit wonder then dropping him after it fizzles out is the safest way for a record company to make money...... but you should check out Raz Simone... he makes dope poetic type rap with a street edge to it and he is also signed to Lyor Cohen record label

do you think that radio stations just play what ever they want to play?? hahahah labels pay iheartmedia group, which pretty much owns all the major hip hop stations in America, to play songs from their artist.. and iheartmedia tells their hip hop stations how many times a certain song must be played in a day... this is why on hip hop stations you pretty much hear the same 8-10 songs every hour.. and only on the "top 5 most requested songs" or "local music hour" you will hear different music... for instance here in the Bay, local rappers like E-40, Mac Dre, The Jacka will rarely be played through out the day but when they have the voter countdown shows E-40, jacka and Mac Dre might have the most requested songs of the day...

do you think that radio stations just play what ever they want to play?? hahahah labels pay iheartmedia group, which pretty much owns all the major hip hop stations in America, to play songs from their artist.. and iheartmedia tells their hip hop stations how many times a certain song must be played in a day... this is why on hip hop stations you pretty much hear the same 8-10 songs every hour.. and only on the "top 5 most requested songs" or "local music hour" you will hear different music... for instance here in the Bay, local rappers like E-40, Mac Dre, The Jacka will rarely be played through out the day but when they have the voter countdown shows E-40, jacka and Mac Dre might have the most requested songs of the day...

Preach.

Record labels have adopted the philosophy of cheap stocks - they think they'll make quicker money by investing in cheap stocks hoping it will blow up instead of investing in a long term play that is of higher quality.

Does your job do that for your 401K? Do you do that in your personal portfolio? But, apparently it's what the music business thinks is smarter...then they wonder why they're going down the drain.

News Corp is the reason they were successful. They spent millions on breaking new artists like Mos-Def and Kweli. Where do you think they got the money from?
Just goes to show how ridiculous these DIY stories are, Rawkus was the holly grail of indie Hip Hop, turns out they were owned by possibly the biggest media corporation of all times. :sigh:

This is a must read https://myspace.com/article/2014/04/16/the-oral-history-of-rawkus-records

Great article and I appreciate you sharing it - the stories bring back so many great memories of growing up listening to hip hop and being really excited about music.

Last edited:
The problem with that is the people with less talent have more grind than the people with more talent.

Hustle > Talent

In your opinion, how much of the radio airplay is payola vs song research and advertisers?

Strizz said:
in these days it pays more for a record company to sign a rapper with a catchy one hit wonder song to a shitty 360 deal and then drop him and go on to sign the next one hit wonder than it is to sign a serious rapper and keep putting money into him album after album cuz some albums may eventually flop... signing a one hit wonder then dropping him after it fizzles out is the safest way for a record company to make money

exactly... but truth be told there are still some labels that actually try to develop the artist

wildinout8 said:
Great find on that Rawkus article!

I'm still not seeing what James Murdoch actually did that got Rawkus on the map.

He didn't sign or recruit any of the artists - most people said they never met him or if they did it was just a handshake and never saw him again.
The office was missing door handles and the workers usually slept on the couches at night.
The founders drove to every independent record store in the country to build relationships.
Everyone pretty much hustled hard to get their success.

Rawkus was spending money like crazy, what they did cost millions of dollars. But here you go from the same article:

Not long after we started we moved offices to 676 Broadway and it was a completely different situation. By the time I left Rawkus five years later we had two entire floors, an office on the West Coast and an office in the U.K. It was a fantastic transition. The Broadway bathroom had a handle too.

I do alot of research into exactly how certain artists get on. Alot or all of it is just plain networking. I wish I had the links to some of the things I'll reference but I'll give the basics of what I've learned from him.

First of all, look at the structure of 300 Ent. The company is founded upon this idea of really being that bank for artists already moving. It's kind of like a chamber of commerce for artists. The main difference between them and a bank is they offer some deep level contacts with taste makers and key efforts in radio promotion. They didn't pluck Fetty Wap, Migos, T-wayne etc from the streets and make them big. These artists would have been big anyway. They just put the money and insider connects behind them. They dropped alot of that rollout red tape and from what I can gather, they let those artists teams control the output of songs. That's why Migos album rollout look alot like mixtaps. That's why Fetty Wap has 7 singles out at one time. That's why T wayne really has no follow up. They aren't deciding release dates and etc for these guys they just put force behind it when these guys say go.

Now to Fetty Wap. I watch alot of videos by Hot97 and Breakfast Club on YouTube. And anytime these DJs get into it about supporting local artists, Fetty Was name gets thrown around constantly. Here's what I can gather Fetty Wap has done.

1. New Jersey doesn't seem to be that big a music scene. I'm sure if you know a key player or 2 you can really make a name for yourself. Fetty Wap has pushed himself as a street dude And hasn't gotten any push back from Jersey. So either he really did some things or he's affiliated. His affiliations probably could get him alittle play in Jersey clubs, if he's gang affiliated I'm sure he could get some play at House parties. Either way, he found a way to make a name in Jersey. I'm sure that got him some networking connects.

2. The longterm classic music doesn't work for strip clubs. You need bass, and bass doesn't leave alot of room for dense instrumentation in a mix. Lyrics have to be simple and catchy because when your drunk and it's 430, you don't want to do alot of thinking as you throw money at a iffy looking stripper in good lighting. Fetty Wap's music is perfect for this scene. All the big NY DJs say that Fetty Wap STAYED in the clubs NIGHTLY pushing them to PLAY his record. He got pushback but he b3 came recognizable and I'm sure he won them over with his personality. Plus he's got all his Jersey connects so that's probably how he could get in the DJ booth to begin with.

3. Now he's spinning in clubs. DJs **** with him connect wise and personality wise. Jersey backs him because he's a local and probably affiliated with important people there. This starts to create a small scale buzz.

4. As he starts popping up on social media and the clubs I'm sure he started getting covered on mix shows and in listener choice slots.

4.5. I don't know for a fact but I assume he got some street money and hired a PR company and put money in on a crisp professional video. Got placed on clogs on the strength of DJ connects and his branding through the PR

5. He goes viral. I know on instagram I saw memes about his eye before I heard his music. I'm sure he was probably popping on Vine too.

6. 300 steps in and probably says, look, keep doing what your doing, we can just amplify it. It's already a proven success, we'll just take it national.

7. They put in a radio promotion campaign. This gets it placed on major stations in the tri state area as well as ATL and MIA. It's already a proven success. It's spinning in the clubs, it's on the blogs, and all over social media. A PD in San Diego, CA or Dallas, TX or Bosie, ID HAS TOO PUT IT IN ROTATION NOW. HIS JOB IS ON THE LINE IF HE DOESN'T.

8. My Way was already made and taking a similar route to Trap Queen. Drakes camp has a clear strategy of putting their stamp on obvious up and coming stars to create the storyline that he's a starmaker. He has to hop on it. Drake is #1 because you have to go through him. If there are people making it without his help then they can steal from his fanbase. Future did an interview and said that Drake wasn't going to be on it but he called right before it was getting mastered and practically demanded to be on the project. The man wants to be on everything that's SELLING. That way everyone thinks he helped it sell. So drake finds Fetty Was second favorite song and just hops on it. Now it looks like Drake made My Way a hit to all the rap fans. Drake gets spins in the club mix and Fetty Wap has another legit radio hit with legs on it. That buys him time to make an album.....

Check out hot97 youtube video where Ebro interviews Stro. He goes into what he's looking for when adding an artist to the rotation

Check out Hot97 when Ebro and Rosenberg interview Troy Ave after it sold 9,000 copies.

Check out Breakfast club interviewing Rap Radar. And argument breaks out as to why radio DJS don't break new artists.

Also look into how Post Malone got on. It's all hidden in plain sight. PR campaigns, professional branding and networking. finally radio promotion. It's no secret it just takes time and money. That's why drug dealers get on so ofte. They have ALOT OF EXTRA MONEY. And they have time to waste networking and doing open mics and handing out music. That's why it's hard to get on when you have a day job and bills to handle.

Any ball park range of how much money these guys were spending, before the major label budgets were put on the table?

well said DaBomb, one of the best posts I have seen on FP since the "Legal Dollaz" Era

One thing nobody has mentioned, is the fact that Fetty Wap has undeniable beat selection. If you notice, all of his singles are produced by unknowns, who might as well be on the same level as any member on FP. It's not like he's getting beats from Industry Producers with proven track records, or has some A&R pitching him songs as if he's a puppet. It actually reminds me of how 50 Cent debuted back in 2002 with "Wanksta".

And secondly, more importantly than having a catchy hook is having a figure of speech that gets embedded in the public conscious, to the point where people will hashtag statuses/pictures on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and other social platforms. Most Top 40 Hits are written with multiple people pitching in their ideas (especially the ones that break into the Top 10), so when you consider that Fetty Wap has done this all alone, it makes you realize what a force of nature the guy truly is. In my opinion, dude is already up there with songwriting legends such as Johnta Austin, The Dream, Sean Garrett, Bonnie McKee. Don't be surprised if you start seeing dudes name pop up in the credits for other Artists.

well said DaBomb, one of the best posts I have seen on FP since the "Legal Dollaz" Era

One thing nobody has mentioned, is the fact that Fetty Wap has undeniable beat selection. If you notice, all of his singles are produced by unknowns, who might as well be on the same level as any member on FP. It's not like he's getting beats from Industry Producers with proven track records, or has some A&R pitching him songs as if he's a puppet. It actually reminds me of how 50 Cent debuted back in 2002 with "Wanksta".

And secondly, more importantly than having a catchy hook is having a figure of speech that gets embedded in the public conscious, to the point where people will hashtag statuses/pictures on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and other social platforms. Most Top 40 Hits are written with multiple people pitching in their ideas (especially the ones that break into the Top 10), so when you consider that Fetty Wap has done this all alone, it makes you realize what a force of nature the guy truly is. In my opinion, dude is already up there with songwriting legends such as Johnta Austin, The Dream, Sean Garrett, Bonnie McKee. Don't be surprised if you start seeing dudes name pop up in the credits for other Artists.

I can't think of not one memorable quote from that dude...matter fact - I don't even know what he's saying in half his rhymes

Back