How did Lyor Cohen turn trash like Fetty Wap into a star?

stokeI

Seriously, how the hell did he do it? There has to be more to it than just radio doing its magic. Why sign trash when there are so many good or at least decent artists out there? How do you justify investing money into a song that needs to be heard 5 to 15 times before the memes and shit-tier lyrics and beats can become catchy, instead of promoting songs that are actually good on a first listen? ("Trap Queen" was out for about 6 months before becoming a hit,same with his other songs).

These guys are obviously doing something different, any idea what exactly?

Seriously, how the hell did he do it? There has to be more to it than just radio doing its magic. Why sign trash when there are so many good or at least decent artists out there? How do you justify investing money into a song that needs to be heard 5 to 15 times before the memes and shit-tier lyrics and beats can become catchy, instead of promoting songs that are actually good on a first listen? ("Trap Queen" was out for about 6 months before becoming a hit,same with his other songs).

These guys are obviously doing something different, any idea what exactly?
For starters, he's not on Future Producers bitterly scrutinizing another man's success.

For starters, he's not on Future Producers bitterly scrutinizing another man's success.

Isn't FP a discussion board? Instead of questioning things and maybe learning something you prefer to stay ignorant? Just because a song is a popular one it doesn't make it any less of a trash. The label is obviously doing something different and new when they can turn garbage like this into a mainstream hit. But lets just accept mindlessly that it's the talent and the radio just doing its magic, right?

Amen!

Lyor knows talent when he hears it. Fetty Wap is blowing up on the radio. They both worked hard to get where they are at. The rest is irrelevant.

No intelligent 60 year old Jewish guy thinks Fetty Wap is talented.

Repetition.

Obviously. But if repetition is all it takes, why not invest into a decent artist who can have a longer far more successful career? Why invest in these talentless one hit wonders who glorify crime and degeneracy?

Isn't FP a discussion board? Instead of questioning things and maybe learning something you prefer to stay ignorant? Just because a song is a popular one it doesn't make it any less of a trash. The label is obviously doing something different and new when they can turn garbage like this into a mainstream hit. But lets just accept mindlessly that it's the talent and the radio just doing its magic, right?

You don't know talent when you hear it. That is why Fetty Wap is on the radio.

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...p-hop-r-and-b/i-think-fetty-wap-drake-508838/

Last edited:

You don't know talent when you hear it. That is why Fetty Wap is on the radio.

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...p-hop-r-and-b/i-think-fetty-wap-drake-508838/

wiki:

his prior single "Trap Queen" was ranked number six that week—as well as the first male rapper to have two concurrent top ten hits as a lead artist since 2011, when Lil Wayne accomplished the feat.

and you seriously still think its not the label? why did no other rapper achieve this success? even guys who "sing" like drake or future, are their songs really worse than fetty waps?

Ya should know by now that simple beats, sing a long lyrics, catchy hooks and repetition has been the
formula since the inception of the music industry, why do ya act surprised when it works? lol

His style is very catchy.
I don't "like" Trap Queen, but the moment I heard it, I knew it either was, or would be, a hit single.

I always wondered why Current Trend Cosigners thought that people who end up being around 10 years later were initially straight garbage, but defended one-hit wonders. Things that make you go hmmm...

Ya should know by now that simple beats, sing a long lyrics, catchy hooks and repetition has been the
formula since the inception of the music industry, why do ya act surprised when it works? lol

If some no-name posted the same exact song on FP asking you for opinion, you probably wouldn't listen to it twice. People only care about "Trap Queen" because it gets shoved down their throat constantly through social media. I'm just interested to know how they do it, there's a system to it, they are not doing it randomly and inefficiently.

wildinout8 said:
I always wondered why Current Trend Cosigners thought that people who end up being around 10 years later were initially straight garbage, but defended one-hit wonders. Things that make you go hmmm...

This is a problem because it leads into self-censorship.

Last edited:
Obviously. But if repetition is all it takes, why not invest into a decent artist who can have a longer far more successful career? Why invest in these talentless one hit wonders who glorify crime and degeneracy?

The Business of Music isn't about talent...it's about money.

Fetty Wap is a character who makes sing songy, catchy type music. No different than Nelly.

He'll have 2 albums, and then we'll never hear from him again.

The Business of Music isn't about talent...it's about money.

Sure, but more talent could possible lead towards more money. The idea that you can't have a hit song unless it's instant, mindless, degeneracy worshiping tune...could be wrong.

Sure, but more talent could possible lead towards more money. The idea that you can't have a hit song unless it's instant, mindless, degeneracy worshiping tune...could be wrong.

I agree with you in theory. But in reality, mindless music artists have the same potential to sell records as talented music artists. Either an act succeeds or fails. Talent or a lack of talent is not a determinant in the ability to sell.

I hated "Trap Queen" when it came out, but quickly gained interest when "My Way" started getting airplay this Summer. Dudes vocals are way too soulful and the lyrics during the verse were quite clever (How dare that N' run his mouth, when he know his pockets in a drought). I didn't even notice at first that dude was holding the same melody for 16 bars straight because of how captivating of a performer he is. Also on one of his other songs "Zoovier" the adlibs he's singing in the background are crazy. You got guys like Jeezy/Jim Jones who were known for their adlibs, but no one has ever sung them before in the history of rap music.

Besides that the guy is a walking advertisement, he's the type of man who can walk into a room and capture everybody's attention before he even speaks. Besides ASAP Rocky, I haven't really seen another Rapper with the combination of having good looks/style. If his Rapping Career never blew up, dude could have easily been a Fashion Model.

Another factor is Fetty's street credibility, so far no one from his neighborhood has come forth to challenge his claims. He had his first kid @ 21 and is now 25 and when you consider he doesn't have a high school diploma I doubt he could have landed any high paying jobs. If dude pushed bricks, I'm guessing he must of been a mid-level distribution, to have never done any jail time.

And lastly, there's the whole eye thing. And the fact he makes fun of it during his Instagram Videos is another part of his appeal. Even if he didn't Rap he could easily be a Famous Personality on the strength of that alone.

Back