Home Studios are Killing Music

blaccteezy said:
WHat do you mean when you say "real" producers? Are you saying that we are fake producers?
I mean that they are not only beat makers. They do the other things that producers USE to do.

I never made a comment about you or anybody else here, but if the shoe fits wear it. Just cause I consider them real doesn't mean that you are fake. I know there is SOME real producers here.

Last edited:
Absolutly true, that's why I've been spending most of time the past month on learning jazz piano, and setting up any possible musical collaborations.

It's a rough path no matter how you take it, but wherever you come from just know that there is a way to achieve that goal.

theonlybman said:
........and setting up any possible musical collaborations.

It's a rough path no matter how you take it, but wherever you come from just know that there is a way to achieve that goal.

that´s the truth. people are impatient, rather than motivated.

The artical didn't really get to me like it was designed to. To me it just seems like people with home studio's have a poor hustle.

ATG said:
The artical didn't really get to me like it was designed to. To me it just seems like people with home studio's have a poor hustle.

Some could have a poor hustle, but its also that home studio owners wants to achieve all of the production processes by themselves:

they want to make the beat (beatmaker)
they want to record the vocals (recording engineer)
they want to mix the track (mix engineer)
they want to master the track (mastering engineer)
and they want to be the producer!

Its not a bad thing at all, but some individuals might not master all these positions.

in the end its all about balance.

I try to wear one hat now days and thats called a "Musician" and a "sound designer" and thats it. A lot of us want to be producers but when we get our first "big pay day" 9 out 10 times we are gona just be beat makers, at most "Ghost producers". If your lucky you will get a chance to be ask to hang out while the recording session is going on. Most likely somebody else will really be doing all the producing. Thats where you learn alot of stuff to earn the title "producer" for later on. Youll also learn alot about engineering the session if you ask the engineer a few question once the session is over. When i had a lot of studio stuff i did learn a lot about making music, creating the song, recording music, and mastering music and maybe tring to sale the music. All that is way over kill for one person and for some of us who have to still keep a reg. day job and have a Family.
Now days i dont worry about pro tools, or sound cards this or that mics. I just worry about scales, chord, mixing up sounds to create new ones and so on. I love the overall creating of music from start to finish and still read up on the whole process from time to time but for the most part i play my position and thats a "Musician". Give it a try cause youll be shock how much better youll musical production will be if you just focus on being that!

Young Keyz I completely agree, I do do all of my music at my home.(However I don't release it for sale, I release it just so people can listen) But, as for the mastering and recording crap I mean I don't really care to master it I just want to have enough ability in that so that I can fully express my musical side and even enhance it, but applying my creativity to my knowledge of 'production.' But, in the end all I really care about is the music and I think that the musical side of my my music is the most important part and the part that I have the most potential for thus I work hardest to learn and improve in that aspect.

I agree and disagree at the same time with the previous posts and the article.
If you believe you will only be a ghost producer, then you will if not less. And yes, you don't need the most state-of-the-art home equipment. 8 years ago the average aspiring musician was still using 4-track tape recorders and toy Boss drum machines with their contact info handwritten or typewritten.
I'm on my 6th official year producing (1 year and a half off until three months ago). I'm ready to blow up. I can't work a 9 to 5. I'm not afraid to make a Reggaeton beat or a two minute Laffy Taffy. I should utilise my ability to rap in Spanish. I'm past the "make music for yourself" stage.
Four years ago my junior high classmate The Game was still a hustler who hadn't written his first rhyme (unless you wanna believe Fase on allhiphop). 14 years ago I was the school rapper and he was the class clown. Now he's the huge one. I use that as inspiration (never envy), especially since he is my first myspace friend!!!!!

to me personally, it couldnt be more true.
lately i've been really concentrating too much on the technical aspect of music (sonically), and not focusing on making good stuff (musically), i mean any knowledge is good knowledge, but lately ive been trying to figure out acoustics, room designs, recording technics, all types of technical shyt, and i haven't produced jack shyt for a long time. seems like the technical sides of things has taken over my creativity. i need to stop worrying so much about fuking soundwaves reflections and low end absortion and focus on making good music.

Comic genius ;)

Back