Home Studios are Killing Music

I was reading this article and thought it was a really interest read and it had some good points that made me think real deep:

"For some, more gear equals creative suicide
by Ronan Chris Murphy

I get asked a lot by songwriters what gear they should buy, and I tell them a 4-track cassette or an old ADAT with a Mackie 1202 — and whatever they do, don't get a DAW. I am obviously a terrible businessman because I have a business, Home Recording Boot Camp, that makes money from teaching musicians how to make better recordings at home. But I have seen home studios wreck a lot of people's careers. For the most part, if you are a performing songwriter that puts a fancy studio in your home, if that does not stop your career dead in its tracks you are the exception and not the rule. I used to see it in artists all the time and then it dawned on me, that I can trace the end of my career as a performing songwriter to exactly the time I started building my home studio back in the late '80's. Granted, I have been lucky and traded it for a cool career as a producer/engineer and I am honestly much better at that than being a performer — but it sure as hell ended things for me. I've never toured as an artist again after I put together my first studio. [ I am actually going be touring again this spring! ]

I see this over and over again: If you meet two performing songwriters who were both talented and hard working and one had a 4-track cassette deck and the other was starting to put together a DAW-based studio. Fast forward one year and ask what they have been up to in the last year.

4-Track Owner: "I wrote a whole bunch of new songs and ran into a cool artist at a jam that ended up putting one of my songs on her major label release. I did a couple tours and last spring I went into the studio for a couple weeks with a cool producer and we cut an album which has been getting some airplay around the country. It's been getting spun a lot on some stations in the southwest so I'm about to do another tour there to support it."

New DAW Owner: "I have been getting the studio together and trying to save up to buy some better A/D converters. My band has been working in the studio a bunch and we've written and recorded basics for almost 7 songs. We should have the album done some time next year. Yeah it would be cool to tour but we are waiting until we get the record done. And we will need a new drummer. The old one got bored of not gigging and split but I have almost got my acid loops to sync up with with some of the old tracks............."

I am not saying that DAW guy's life is bad, but the hard reality is that the overwhelming majority of the time getting into home recording ends the careers of performing songwriters. The big reason for this is two fold:

1) All the time and financial resources go into the studio. So instead of spending money to fund a tour or pay for promotion or buy live gear or fix the van, the money gets dumped into plug-ins. Also, instead of spending time writing songs, rehearsing the band and gigging and touring, they are sitting at home trying to figure out how to get their new MOTU interface to talk to Logic Audio, or spending weeks editing tambourine tracks. The most prolific times in the last fourteen years for me were when I first put a 4-track cassette based studio together, and then about three years ago when I decided to go to Offfice Depot and get a micro cassette and start using that is my main writing tool.

2) Home recordist tend to isolate themselves and sit in their home studios playing with gear instead of getting out into the real world and stumbling into opportunity by playing more gigs or jamming with different people. The majority of great opportunities in this biz come from chance meetings than from someone hearing a home recorded masterpiece.

One of the things I try and talk people into in my classes is getting people to come into their studio and the fact that it can be so valuable. You make better professional releationships, people bring fresh ideas and perspective to the work, and they can bring in a lot of knowledge, too — like showing you a cool trick they learned from another engineer. It always amazes me how often bringing in a guest musician to the studio can transform a piece of music for the better.

I am sure almost everyone could show me an exception to the rule, but they are still exceptions. And for people that are just into home recording for the joy of recording and do not have ambitions as performing artist then none of this really matters. But if you look at it this way: If you had to take a gamble on two artists to have a good career. One spent a year getting a studio together and recording, the other went into a medium-sized studio for two weeks with a cool producer and spent the other 50 weeks of the year promoting the album. Which one do you think would be a safer bet?

Obviously, many of us love recording. It's the main reason many of us spend time reading articles and posting in forums online. And tons of us are just as happy to be having fun recording than trying advance our "artist" careers. But ending careers is a hidden cost of home recording for a lot of people. And there's a lot of great songs that will never be written."

source: http://www.studioreviews.com/killingmusic.htm

what are your thoughts?

I am a pretty tech savvy person. I probably know more about computers than I do about songwriting and performing. But I can say that I feel like home recording and learning daws are the absolute biggest pain in the ass. The whole thing is just so counterproductive to writing music. I mean I like the idea of spending some time on a song and making things right, but when you spend a lot of time just working out tech difficulties or playing with foreign technology/concepts it just drags things out.

In the two years I have been learning daw I have probably written about one song a month, with maybe two unfinished pieces in development for every one I "finish." And by finish I just mean find a creative stopping place and then getting it decently mixed so I can ask people to listen to it. Before those two years I just made beats/songs on a Triton(I was much more into hip hop then) and I probably would pump out a piece per week without pushing myself or experiencing any strain, and im a way better musician now which speeds my current songwriting up because I dont have to record parts 15 times to get a take with no mistakes...

Just to me there is something to be said about finding something that just WORKS for you and sticking with it. Nothing wrong with constantly trying to push the envelope too though. Artists who work in very digital based genres and still sound like they are straight 1997 style with keyboard presets and **** dont have much excuse with all the current technology available.

I will attest that having a steady paycheck and a high speed internet connection is NOT a good combination for someone who just wants to put out product and be heard.

I used to have a problem with buying gear, but I'm pretty much past that. My biggest problem now is justifying my reasons for fully expanding my fantom x module with $270 Roland cards.

I have 4 slots left to fill....

As far as downloading is concerned...LOL!!!! I lost two hard drives last week because I downloaded a...well...lets just say a fake plug in. Luckily I retrieved most of the files that I lost on those drives, but damn.....three programs lost that totaled about 11 gigs of sounds....

Thank God( Or The Devil)for bittorents.

I agree. My career has had two phases. This time around I just got a laptop, Live and Reason and that was all I needed to get out there here. And y'all said I needed monitor speakers and a MIDI controller (I got a Trigger Finger).

I belive that can be very true. I am just now finnaly starting to become creative again. I used to spend all of my time trying to "put together the perfect studio" and not actually putting out songs. Now I have been banging out at least 3 keepers a day on reason and getting our music vault up. I admit, when I had my tascam 4-track tape and no internet, I was a bad muthafukka! Even when I had no money and only frootyloops and a 100 keyboard for a midicontroller, I was good. Luxurys can kill creativity, just listen to half of the hip-hop industries stuff before and after the riches.

blaccteezy said:
.......Even when I had no money and only frootyloops and a 100 keyboard for a midicontroller, I was good. Luxurys can kill creativity, just listen to half of the hip-hop industries stuff before and after the riches.

same here. I used to make beats with ten different synths, software, eqs, comps, verbs, samplers. it WAS a creativity killer. organizing billions of sounds, ready to shoot, is a pain in the ass.

I sold it all, kept three synths, a comp, an eq and a verb unit. now I have to deal with limitations.

I will (most of the time) preview sound sets, limit myself like "here ya go. ten sounds. you WON`T use anything else for this track". that works.

the biggest mistake is to think, that gear will make you speed up the process. quite the contrary. if you don´t know every piece of your studio, in and out, you won´t go nowhere. you will actualy sit there and go through 1000 kicks, even though sample number 2 and 15 were perfect for the track.

bring in innovations into your workflow rather than new gear and your creativity level will rise up.

I feel its the truth. when i first got into this "Who wanna be the next big producer" game i went all out. Computer, recording software, recording plugins, sound card and so on. I also had the reg. production gear(mpc,motif,ectt). I think my production game was suffering cause i was tring to do too much. after i make a beat i was tring to mix it and master it. I had to do alot of reading on these subjects to get the most out of my gear. I have a best friend who raps and use to come to my studio and record his mix tapes. I gave him my laptop, motu 828 with nuendo/waves pluins and studio mic. My shorty was confuse cause she knows i work so hard toget all that stuff and at one point that was all i would talk about. Well what i started to understand with my new set up(Mv8000 motif es nord lead)is these are all the tools i need. I learn how to creat better sounds but i learn what ever i need to learn about mixing and what not when im in a real studio. My production game has got 100 percent better

Hell yeah, I have finally gotten comfortable with the setup that i have now. I used to think that reason sucked. But I have been bangin out heat now and all my tracks are like 5x's better! It doesn't matter what you use or have, its how you put it down.

I think that the home studio is killing the music in some ways. I recently had the opportunity to work with some real producers and the experience made me come out of retirement. It was to much for me to make beats, write lyrics, and engineer. It's kinda like you can be a Jack of all trades and a master of none. I met these two guys that are producer/engineer and damn they make the music sound GREAT. They help with the hooks and concepts. I will be working on my album soon. I will post some songs.

I did a reggaeton song with a latino chick for the first time. I don't like the style of music, but the work was great.

WHat do you mean when you say "real" producers? Are you saying that we are fake producers?

to me personally, it couldnt be more true.
lately i've been really concentrating too much on the technical aspect of music (sonically), and not focusing on making good stuff (musically), i mean any knowledge is good knowledge, but lately ive been trying to figure out acoustics, room designs, recording technics, all types of technical shyt, and i haven't produced jack shyt for a long time. seems like the technical sides of things has taken over my creativity. i need to stop worrying so much about fuking soundwaves reflections and low end absortion and focus on making good music.

the guy speaks the truth. I feel that some people who have these lavish hitech home studios are covering over a lack of creativity.

Sometimes I get the impression some people are more intersted in the technology side of things rather than the music really.

The article is somewhat true, but doesnt hold truth for hiphop producers. The article is geared more for songwriters. Songwriters for R&B, rock, and pop music. The difference is based in the way music is sold in the industry. An R&B songwriter can simply record a great SONG (music/arranging) on a 4 track recorder. They can then submit that song to different publishers. The publisher can purchase the song, and then sell it to the artist, hosted by a record company. If the RC purchases the song, they will have a defined producer come in and actually produce that record. They are not going to keep the 4 track version that the songwriter wrote. Hiphop is a bit different..

This is because hiphop doesnt fall in line with the rest of music. In hiphop, you already have to deliver a great sounding track. They are not going to want to come in and hire a producer to reproduce the song yet again. It does happen, but nowhere near as much as other genres of music. If you try to submit a great musical song to G unit, made from poor equipment, and an overall poor sound quality, the chances are they will pass on the song immediately, as the artists are directly listening to submitted material.

Of course, poor production, and poor music can stem from any lavish studio, or general 4 track. Its silly to say that it only has one source

BIGMOZ said:
The article is somewhat true, but doesnt hold truth for hiphop producers. The article is geared more for songwriters. Songwriters for R&B, rock, and pop music. The difference is based in the way music is sold in the industry. An R&B songwriter can simply record a great SONG (music/arranging) on a 4 track recorder. They can then submit that song to different publishers. The publisher can purchase the song, and then sell it to the artist, hosted by a record company. If the RC purchases the song, they will have a defined producer come in and actually produce that record. They are not going to keep the 4 track version that the songwriter wrote. Hiphop is a bit different..

This is because hiphop doesnt fall in line with the rest of music. In hiphop, you already have to deliver a great sounding track. They are not going to want to come in and hire a producer to reproduce the song yet again. It does happen, but nowhere near as much as other genres of music. If you try to submit a great musical song to G unit, made from poor equipment, and an overall poor sound quality, the chances are they will pass on the song immediately, as the artists are directly listening to submitted material.

Of course, poor production, and poor music can stem from any lavish studio, or general 4 track. Its silly to say that it only has one source

exactly!!! this is for songwriters not producers, as producers we NEED our own studio and NEED to know all this ****. most of the **** u guys are talking about is somthing u NEED to go threw. u need to knowa good work flow and tehc **** to produce good records.

singers dont, they need to know how to sing and write lyrics.

we need to know about sound design, making melodys, making things sound good, aranging, comming up with concepts for artists and ALL that. THATS A BEATMAKER?PRODUCER.

JimbaFrosty said:

we need to know about sound design,
true
making melodys,
true
making things sound good,
true
aranging, comming up with concepts for artists and ALL that.

true,

but some of us are trying to achieve everything on our own, trying to be the one man show, with the mentality of "why should i pay him to record my shyt when i can do it on my own?".
thing is, you can, but it can be a long painful ass process in learning your equipment with the right mic technique with the right signal chain at the right level.

to me, that article was a reality check.
i ventured way to far on the technical side of thing instead of focusing on working with new scales, finding new samples, new chord progressions etc.
man i thing i maxed out my style of music, have to go back to the lab and try a new formula. i killed those dark piano melodies

Fella's it's not what kind and how much equipment u have it's how u use it. The way the industry changes and how much it changes is something we have to keep up with. Home recording is whats hadnin right now, It saves gobs of money in studio time. Keep it simple when it comes to Daw's. I have seen people go over board with the type of computer, software, plugins etc....Me and my partner builds what we call DSS-Digital Studio Systems that r really fast and cheap compared to the pc's alot of people get. I built for myself a 3.0 ghz pc with 3 gigs of memory, soundcard etc for less than 300 bucks. We can literally record, mix and master from these pc's and i'm not talkin about home studio mixes and mastering, i mean the real deal. Now i know yall might say that's impossible with a home studio but we have had professional engineers call us liars behind what they heard with our mixes and mastering. Big recording studios say that it can't be done, but if u think about it if they told us all the secrets of recording big studio quality in a home studio then where would they work. Hell most of the big studios would go out of business if they did, so what i am saying is it's job security to them if they keep their mouths shut.

Back