Hip Hop is in a pretty Good place right now?

KelevraOne

Not too Kelevra son
Am I the only one not bemoaning the state of hip hop? I say hip hop is on a nice run right now. In the last 4 months we've had some good music. Jay Cole dropped his album, Big Sean just dropped his and Kendrick has just released his. All please different crowds and all are pretty good. Am I the only one thinking shit good right now?

Btw Wayne stole the song from Sean

I was all like "yeah it is"

then this goatmouth ass.................post some Big Sean........:)

I think hiphop is doing pretty good right now. There's a good mix of good music out there. We need the diversity, that's what made music so good back in the day. I was happy to hear J.Cole and Kendrick's albums because we needed that change from what everyone else was doing. Big Sean's album is good also. I also heard Wale and Luda's leaked albums and they both sound impressive. I preordered them both by the way.

I never considered myself a hiphop head when i was growing up as I was more into R&B, but I'm missing Rap City right now. It was cool to see a variety of artists in one place and to get a visual of where the culture was at. Now it's all over the place online.

Last edited:
I think hiphop is doing pretty good right now. There's a good mix of good music out there. We need the diversity, that's what made music so good back in the day. I was happy to hear J.Cole and Kendrick's albums because we needed that change from what everyone else was doing. Big Sean's album is good also. I also heard Wale and Luda's leaked albums and they both sound impressive. I preordered them both by the way.

I never considered myself a hiphop head when i was growing up as I was more into R&B, but I'm missing Rap City right now. It was cool to see a variety of artists in one place and to get a visual of where the culture was at. Now it's all over the place online.

exactly, people just all listen to random stuff online

there isn't many everyone listens too its all fragmented.

hip hop worked best when it was a cultural epicenter because it was alive and organic, but like how everthing is a barren wasteland of annonimous listening experiences now there is no main artist like how Pac and Biggie were the leaders.

Now its all just randomness and uncoordinated so it died out. Nobody listens to it like that anymore unless its a special event.

exactly, people just all listen to random stuff online

there isn't many everyone listens too its all fragmented.

hip hop worked best when it was a cultural epicenter because it was alive and organic, but like how everthing is a barren wasteland of annonimous listening experiences now there is no main artist like how Pac and Biggie were the leaders.

Now its all just randomness and uncoordinated so it died out. Nobody listens to it like that anymore unless its a special event.

The lack of an epicenter is a good thing. There are mini movements and sounds with leading artist. People aren't as dependent on others for their music. I consider that a bonus.

I am glad that hip hop is fragmented. That is why it is better now. People soldiered around hip hop back in the day just because it was black music. Most people knew that most rap was wack. But there was this "they are attacking our music" mentality. Nowadays, blacks don't have to stick together.

Everybody is coming together for the good times and then doing their own things in real life. There are enough black people with enough goals and interests these days so that the sense of community is not important. People don't have the fear of being outcasts in a community. They just form their own communities if they get rejected by one community. The sense of individuality and freedom from group think is extraordinary.

Rappers come together to collaborate on a song on the basis of sex, partying, and money. Then they go off and make all kinds of weird and experimental albums. They claim to be the best rappers on one song and then sing on 5 other songs. That is beautiful!

Please, keep hip hop experimental and selfish. I don't want to see artists competing. I want them to make great collaborations and then do their own crazy things. Everyone has the right to make wack, weak, weird, or wonderful music. Just do something!

Last edited:
Yep along with the comment about different tastes. All three reach different crowds for the most part. I just sit back and enjoy what I like from all three.

There's a difference between rap and hip hop. Big Sean is just as hip hop as Soulja Boy.

^^^ I thought we left that old as argument back in 2012 or something. but i guess like broken toilets old shit will keep being brought up

Hip Hop is in an equally good and bad place as the fragmentation is leading to disjointed output by artists and it is why many albums seem more like a collection of random songs than a unified theme.

^^^ I thought we left that old as argument back in 2012 or something. but i guess like broken toilets old shit will keep being brought up

I have accepted the decline in quality of music as a sign of the times. I at least thought there was an agreement at what Hip Hop music actually is. I guess it's say to say anyone rapping these days is a Hip Hop artist. The NFL has also changed with the times. You can no longer hit the QB. It's a finesse game. Hey, it is what is. Change is part of life.

I have accepted the decline in quality of music as a sign of the times. I at least thought there was an agreement at what Hip Hop music actually is. I guess it's say to say anyone rapping these days is a Hip Hop artist. The NFL has also changed with the times. You can no longer hit the QB. It's a finesse game. Hey, it is what is. Change is part of life.

What is hip hop then and how is big sean not part of it when he raps on similar topics and concepts that artists have rapped about since it's inception? If your answer is different from the answer I usually receive that glorifies the 90's as the end all be all of real hip hop in terms of subject matter and style, I'll apologize for assuming. But for the most part when I hear things like that from people they'll usually list some song from the 90's while ignoring the roots of hip hop as party music.

I was all like "yeah it is"

then this goatmouth ass.................post some Big Sean........:)

Goatmouth lmfao.

I think I'd agree with the notion of Hip Hop is in a better place than it was a few years ago.

Everyone seems to have found their feet. You've got multiple niche's, and I'm not hearing as much bitching/moaning about music being poor as I once was five years ago.

I still moan though. :o

I think the radio (and the content on it) needs improving, but who am I to argue against a business model that's working for them?

P.S. De La Soul have got the funding for their album today. That's a pretty great thing for me.

Last edited:
Back