Has Rap Music Really Changed?

We have to understand the "music business". It's always been about making money. Whatever is generating the most "noise", it is going to be pushed (heavily) so that revenue can be created from it. Believe it or not, the new generation of listeners do feel a vibe and authenticity from the music that's out now. That's why it's out. There are so many varieties of artist that deliver different types of music. Rich Homie Quan and Young Thug are not the only artists that exist. In today's age, yes, anyone can put out a mixtape but it's about what happens after it's put out. People will gravitate towards what they like.

Exactly. Unfortunately a lot of the older heads don't vibe with the new music and then the deduce that there is no vibe, no feeling. Ironically it's the same thing others did to them when they were young.

From what I see, many of the mainstream rappers are pretty lazy with their lyrics and flow. Simple metaphors, simile, and very little wordplay. Not all rappers, of course.

Interesting point but I think when people refer to Hip-Hop's value in the mainstream being lost is more in the fact that Rappers in that industry are alot softer and seem to only say what a record label tells them i.e. Sex, drugs and jewelry. I do see your point about older rappers talking some of the same topics but the difference is that those guys are far more skilled and versatile and are certainly not one trick ponies. I mean I'm not going to act like everything in the mainstream is pure shit I mean I really like Kendrick Lamar and even some of Macklemore's material in the Heist album but I couldn't turn the radio on and vibe with 99% of the shit that comes on. Obviously nostalgia plays a major role in why the Old School eras of the 70s, 80s, and 90s but those records have aged exceptionally and have a timeless feel to them whereas alot of the productions that come out these days you know full well will feel dated in the future. Think of the Old School Vs New School the same way that you would compare the The Original Trilogy of Star Wars and The Prequel Trilogy.

So in this day n age people like to claim that rap has lost it's value, and has changed into music about objectification of women, drug dealing and crime activity. But hasn't rap always been like that?

Perhaps value means more than just the subject matter.........like if I said the movie Battlefield Earth sucks the fact that it and Star Wars are both science fiction movies isn't really the determining factor for what makes one a steaming pile of shit and the other one a valued classic within the genre......and the same is true of hip hop.

but the radio makes you believe that Rich Homie Quan and Young Thug are the only artists that exist. And there are only like five beats with a few slight variations. Everyone's even using the same drum sounds. You want to make a record that sounds ready for the radio, but nothing is really that distinct. Rap music and radio in general are completely different now than then. I'm old enough to say "I remember when..." but I'm still young enough to know and understand and somewhat relate to younger folks doing it now.

old school has an artistry with what they did. they were distinct and had personality. the voice, the lyrics, the beats, all came together to produce a final sound. you knew who someone was based on how they sounded, or their style. style was even substance. every region had a sound. rap radio now is one sound. all the genres melted into one, and while it sounds good to ride out to, it doesn't really go past that.

now this is only concerning radio. are there talented and skilled artists doing it right now? yeah, i'm sure there are, but nothing really stands out. everyone is doing what is safe. i know if i use this 808 kit, with this drum pattern, use this chord progression, say something repetitive, then i know it will get on the radio. and i can honestly say it wasn't always like that. but this is in all genres, i'm guessing it's the result of an auto hit algorithm. it's supposed to be music (first) business (second.) i'm sure there are programs available that allow you to take instrumentals, and run them through a pandora like software, that allows you to output a similar sounding but different final beat. and if you grew up and that's all you know, then you wouldn't question it or even think about it.

but the old school was actually making everything. it used to be a sin to loop a known part of a record. but that seems to be more of a creativity rule that originally existed to promote originality in hindsight.

the chefs are using all the same ingredients and microwaving it to make insta-hit. and it sounds good, you can eat it, and if you haven't tasted any other food, than you'd think it's just fine. but if you have actually tasted different foods, cook yourself, or have had the pleasure of experiencing different great tasting meals, you know that what the radio's serving us tastes alright, but it isn't filling. and if you've had better food and are used to better food, you're probably going to complain or get nostalgic for the food you know you remember having and other people can't convince you otherwise.

think about your favorite pizza place, think about your favorite major pizza chain, and then think about your favorite frozen pizza. they're all pizza but which would you choose to eat?

...and the funny thing is these cats on the radio aren't making no kinda money.

Let's compare artists and albums that were on the radio WITH MULTIPLE TRACKS from the past and today:

Jay-Z - Hard Knock Life Volume 2
Outkast - Aquemini
Big Pun - Capital Punishment
A Tribe Called Quest - Love Movement
Juvenile - 400 Degrees
Method Man - Tical 2000
Redman - Docs Da Name
Def Squad - El Nino
MOP - First Family for Life
Lauryn Hill - Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty
Black Eyed Peas - Behind the Front
Scarface - My Homies
Canibus - Can-I-Bus
Gangstarr - Moment of Truth
Goodie Mob - Still Standing
C-Murder - Life of Death
Busta Rhymes - E.L.E.
RZA - Bobby Digital
Tupac - Greatest Hits
Lyricist Lounge - Volume 1
Big Tymers - How You Luv That Vol. 2
Cocoa Brovaz - Rude Awakening
Master P - Da Last Don
AZ - Pieces of a Man
DMX - Flesh of My Flesh
Silkk Da Shocker - Charge it to da Game
Jermaine Dupri - Life in 1472
Xzibit - 40 Days 40 Nights
Fat Joe - Don Cartagena
Onyx - Shut Em Down
No Limit - We Can't Be Stopped

Kendrick - To Pimp a Butterfly
Drake - If You're Reading This
Big Sean - Dark Sky Paradise
Young Thug - Barter 6
Wale - The Album About Nothing
Ludacris - Ludaversal
Meek Mill - Dreams Worth More than Money
Travis Scott - Rodeo
Migos - Yung Rich Nation
Kid Ink - Full Speed
Rich Homie Quan - If You Ever Think

You really wanna even try to compare skills between lists? No Limit and Mannie Fresh were making trap in the 90's...just stop, young'ns.

Last edited:
but the radio makes you believe that Rich Homie Quan and Young Thug are the only artists that exist. And there are only like five beats with a few slight variations. Everyone's even using the same drum sounds. You want to make a record that sounds ready for the radio, but nothing is really that distinct. Rap music and radio in general are completely different now than then. I'm old enough to say "I remember when..." but I'm still young enough to know and understand and somewhat relate to younger folks doing it now.

old school has an artistry with what they did. they were distinct and had personality. the voice, the lyrics, the beats, all came together to produce a final sound. you knew who someone was based on how they sounded, or their style. style was even substance. every region had a sound. rap radio now is one sound. all the genres melted into one, and while it sounds good to ride out to, it doesn't really go past that.

now this is only concerning radio. are there talented and skilled artists doing it right now? yeah, i'm sure there are, but nothing really stands out. everyone is doing what is safe. i know if i use this 808 kit, with this drum pattern, use this chord progression, say something repetitive, then i know it will get on the radio. and i can honestly say it wasn't always like that. but this is in all genres, i'm guessing it's the result of an auto hit algorithm. it's supposed to be music (first) business (second.) i'm sure there are programs available that allow you to take instrumentals, and run them through a pandora like software, that allows you to output a similar sounding but different final beat. and if you grew up and that's all you know, then you wouldn't question it or even think about it.

but the old school was actually making everything. it used to be a sin to loop a known part of a record. but that seems to be more of a creativity rule that originally existed to promote originality in hindsight.

the chefs are using all the same ingredients and microwaving it to make insta-hit. and it sounds good, you can eat it, and if you haven't tasted any other food, than you'd think it's just fine. but if you have actually tasted different foods, cook yourself, or have had the pleasure of experiencing different great tasting meals, you know that what the radio's serving us tastes alright, but it isn't filling. and if you've had better food and are used to better food, you're probably going to complain or get nostalgic for the food you know you remember having and other people can't convince you otherwise.

think about your favorite pizza place, think about your favorite major pizza chain, and then think about your favorite frozen pizza. they're all pizza but which would you choose to eat?

Things never really changed from the 90's except the level of saturation and your access to it. Everybody and their mama either raps or makes beats and have some form of music out on social media. Back in the day everybody still wanted to rap but actually had limited ways of getting their music out there. So that bedroom artist who had no chance 20 years ago can have a chance now.

It all depends on the type of music you like. If youre into hype music, most of the time lyrics go out the door and its all about the beat. More and more rappers are putting out hype music because it very popular right now, but there are still a lot of artists holding it down with great lyrics.

--SinchProductions
https://soundcloud.com/sinchproductions

Things never really changed from the 90's except the level of saturation and your access to it. Everybody and their mama either raps or makes beats and have some form of music out on social media. Back in the day everybody still wanted to rap but actually had limited ways of getting their music out there. So that bedroom artist who had no chance 20 years ago can have a chance now.

So, let me get this straight - the market is MORE saturated and MORE people are able to be heard...yet we only hear the same handful of people on the radio.

Hmmmm...

So, let me get this straight - the market is MORE saturated and MORE people are able to be heard...yet we only hear the same handful of people on the radio.

Hmmmm...

Actually yeah pretty much. There are artists such as Kevin Gates, Boosie, Currency, Childish Gambino, ASAP Ferg etc who don't get wide spread radio play, but make money from devoted fan bases. If you're trying to judge the variety of music from what you hear on the radio it's like trying to judge the variety of plants from what you can see from your kitchen window.

I will admit a problem we have now is trying to be noticed above the masses. Check out a hip hop page on facebook and notice how many rappers, singers, producers, etc are on there trying to be heard.

Actually yeah pretty much. There are artists such as Kevin Gates, Boosie, Currency, Childish Gambino, ASAP Ferg etc who don't get wide spread radio play, but make money from devoted fan bases. If you're trying to judge the variety of music from what you hear on the radio it's like trying to judge the variety of plants from what you can see from your kitchen window.

I hear what you're saying, but I think a more appropriate analogy would be:

I own a whole grocery store, so the only thing I eat is Purina Puppy Chow.

I feel there are artists that represent this change but I think it's unfair
to say ALL of the current Hip Hop artists make no attempt to be something MORE
musically or thematically.
There are several who don't just attempt to do so but actually do it, if we're Hip Hop heads
or claiming to be heads then we need to KNOW the people WHO ARE DOING WHAT WE WANT
and not have extensive knowledge on what we hate. IMO.

For example there are people in this thread and on other websites that can tell you how much they "hate" Rae Sremmurd
but have no idea that Skyzoo dropped an album this year that was very, VERY well crafted.

Last edited:
I just can't call rap music rap music.
hiphop or trap music but rap, no. I always associate that with just people talkin over a beat, could be dubstep anything.

Has trends changed? yes. Has music changed? yes.
Everything does over time. Some things carry over, some do not.
For better or worse, not too sure.

It's not just about the subject matter of rap, it's about the image and what rappers are actually about nowadays.

I feel there are artists that represent this change but I think it's unfair
to say ALL of the current Hip Hop artists make no attempt to be something MORE
musically or thematically.
There are several who don't just attempt to do so but actually do it, if we're Hip Hop heads
or claiming to be heads then we need to KNOW the people WHO ARE DOING WHAT WE WANT
and not have extensive knowledge on what we hate. IMO.

For example there are people in this thread and on other websites that can tell you how much they "hate" Rae Sremmurd
but have no idea that Skyzoo dropped an album this year that was very, VERY well crafted.

Skyzoo is one of my favorite emcees and Music For My Friends is dope. But, he doesn't really make commercial songs besides Popularity.

The Salvation is one of the best hip hop albums of the past 10 years, but we will probably never hear Skyzoo on the radio due to marketing budgets.

well that's pretty easy to answer... its not that the subject matter has changed it is that the originality, realism and talent has decreased threw time.. I back in the day rappers would spit mediphors and word play that would make you think" what is he saying" then once figured out his mediphor or word play u would be like "holly shit he is totally right, I never thought of it that way"... and now a day rappers just say words that ryme and it makes o sense at all... rappers used to rap bout real shit in they life ad not make up a fake persona (Rick Ross, ec)... take this real story rap by Mac Dre ad compare it to Fetty Wap an u will see wat im talkin bout

MAC DRE-

Stop - I can't take no mo'
Why is the police steady knockin at my do'?
24-7 them devils be trippin
They say some banks was robbed and I fit the description
But that's drama, so save it for your mama
I'm not criminal minded, punk police, I'm a
Dope rhyme dealer, not a money stealer
Was real in '91, but now I'm much realer
On the streets you roam, tryina follow me home
Steady runnin checks on me and my Brougham
You see my mother is worried, you got her vision all blurried
You throwin darts at my partner's poster - and he's buried?
Restin in peace, but you won't give him no peace
Man, you punk police, I'm not the savage beast
You labeled us a ruthless g-a-n-g
But the biggest gangsters are on the VPD
They hate to see me drivin a car I bought
They hate how I talk, I can't spit on the sidewalk
They roughin and coughin me, in jail they be stuffin me
Every damn day, man, they can't get enough of me
I could maybe understand if I was breakin the law
And I'ma dedicate this to Detective McGraw
You be steady accusin, but these cases you losin
You be steady abusin, mane, do you find it amusin?
Well haha, I'ma laugh in your face
While you kick on back and feel the bass
Punk police with a one-track mind
Man, you can't even find who's been robbin you blind
It got deep, so you had to blame somebody
What's next - you gon' frame somebody?
You gon' frame somebody?

FETTY WAP-

Mumble mumble mumble some more mumbling over mumbled adlibs - (repeat 20 times - end of song

well that's pretty easy to answer... its not that the subject matter has changed it is that the originality, realism and talent has decreased threw time.. I back in the day rappers would spit mediphors and word play that would make you think" what is he saying" then once figured out his mediphor or word play u would be like "holly shit he is totally right, I never thought of it that way"... and now a day rappers just say words that ryme and it makes o sense at all... rappers used to rap bout real shit in they life ad not make up a fake persona (Rick Ross, ec)... take this real story rap by Mac Dre ad compare it to Fetty Wap an u will see wat im talkin bout

MAC DRE-

Stop - I can't take no mo'
Why is the police steady knockin at my do'?
24-7 them devils be trippin
They say some banks was robbed and I fit the description
But that's drama, so save it for your mama
I'm not criminal minded, punk police, I'm a
Dope rhyme dealer, not a money stealer
Was real in '91, but now I'm much realer
On the streets you roam, tryina follow me home
Steady runnin checks on me and my Brougham
You see my mother is worried, you got her vision all blurried
You throwin darts at my partner's poster - and he's buried?
Restin in peace, but you won't give him no peace
Man, you punk police, I'm not the savage beast
You labeled us a ruthless g-a-n-g
But the biggest gangsters are on the VPD
They hate to see me drivin a car I bought
They hate how I talk, I can't spit on the sidewalk
They roughin and coughin me, in jail they be stuffin me
Every damn day, man, they can't get enough of me
I could maybe understand if I was breakin the law
And I'ma dedicate this to Detective McGraw
You be steady accusin, but these cases you losin
You be steady abusin, mane, do you find it amusin?
Well haha, I'ma laugh in your face
While you kick on back and feel the bass
Punk police with a one-track mind
Man, you can't even find who's been robbin you blind
It got deep, so you had to blame somebody
What's next - you gon' frame somebody?
You gon' frame somebody?

FETTY WAP-

Mumble mumble mumble some more mumbling over mumbled adlibs - (repeat 20 times - end of song

Funny thing is this generation not only thinks today's rapper are as good, if not better, than rappers from the 90's, but they think the old school rappers are trash!

Fabolous vs. Future
Big Pun vs. Lil Wayne
Canibus vs. Chris Brown (yeah, when he rappin cats still tryna rep him)
Jay-Z vs. Young Jeezy
Method Man vs. Meek Mill

Back