Gasping for Breath as the Ship Goes Down – the final days of the recorded music biz

The radio broadcasting industry is corrupt. They laid in bed with the record industry for so long, sucking as much money as they could via payola, it was only a matter of time until they were ****ed. This proposed Government intervention of the cellular industry will not succeed. The end results will be the passing of HR?? (the number alludes me) in the house congress and the senate, and death of "major" radio as we know it.

That could be a good thing.

If passed, I predict a huge cut in the amount of radio stations across the nation, and as a result, due to the high costs of paying out performance royalties to the major labels, possible "SiriusFM" style mergers would arise.

Networks would then be forced to open the flood gates to the independent and unsigned, in order to gain leverage over major labels. My theory, independent and unsigned artist would take a lower royalty payout on the sheer grounds of "hunger to succeed". That would be a big "F U" to the major labels.

A scarier scenario would be a merged broadcasting syndicate "buying" music from the independent or unsigned, thus their systamatic takeover of sync-licensing. That would be a broom in the ass of major labels and a possible death blow.

Bad look. In plain english, the record labels are looking to collect royalties from Radio for playing songs. Radio argues that they play songs as free promotion as they have been doing since the dawn of radio.

I think the most bogus part of the article is forcing every small portable electronic device to carry an fm transmitter, as a way to compensate radio for it's troubles with paying off the major labels. Yeah, I'm sure Steve Jobs and the boys will be thrilled to ;et that happen.

The labels are trying to grasp at anything to prop up their archaic system and once again the artists suffer. Crap like pulling all their artists videos off of youtube and MTV.com until both companies bend to their will leaves the artists with less exposure and less avenues to promote their art. It's like the major labels are shooting themselves in the foot and everybody suffers.

Conclusion:
If record labels win, alot of stations go out of business, and the artists suffer. The few radio stations that do survive pay the royalties to the record labels, and if you think the labels are going to break bread with the actual artists, you're smoking crack. Not just major artists will suffer, but everybody. The few outlets independent artists and newcoming artists had get wiped out. Mc Git Busy can build all the local buzz he wants to by selling mixtapes out his trunk, but if there's no actual radio station to play his sh*t, that's where he stays....local.

10. Home Recording & Music Production Is Outlawed: Those amateurs and indie musicians thought they were clever when they started producing music in their homes and not getting it mastered at a recording studio. With all those fly-by-night music schools that graduate sound engineers by the hundred we need to guarantee that those students, who paid good money, have jobs when they get out of college. This will also have the effect of making artists dependant of the major label system to fund the recording of their music and drastically increase the quality of all music in general. All that stuff on YouTube sounds terrible, let’s fix that.
:rofl:

Bad look. In plain english, the record labels are looking to collect royalties from Radio for playing songs. Radio argues that they play songs as free promotion as they have been doing since the dawn of radio.

I think the most bogus part of the article is forcing every small portable electronic device to carry an fm transmitter, as a way to compensate radio for it's troubles with paying off the major labels. Yeah, I'm sure Steve Jobs and the boys will be thrilled to ;et that happen.

The labels are trying to grasp at anything to prop up their archaic system and once again the artists suffer. Crap like pulling all their artists videos off of youtube and MTV.com until both companies bend to their will leaves the artists with less exposure and less avenues to promote their art. It's like the major labels are shooting themselves in the foot and everybody suffers.

Conclusion:
If record labels win, alot of stations go out of business, and the artists suffer. The few radio stations that do survive pay the royalties to the record labels, and if you think the labels are going to break bread with the actual artists, you're smoking crack. Not just major artists will suffer, but everybody. The few outlets independent artists and newcoming artists had get wiped out. Mc Git Busy can build all the local buzz he wants to by selling mixtapes out his trunk, but if there's no actual radio station to play his sh*t, that's where he stays....local.

Radio stations, in certain regions, do not support local independent artist, i.e. the West coast. It's a known fact. Ask anyone from New York.

People who involve themselves in the music industry, mainly newcomers and aspiritors, have to come to grips with reality, that the music industry is no longer a geiser spewing money, it's a leaking spout. Some people will luck up and bank roll moderate success, as in any private sector organization.

All these "intelligent music industry forums" can kiss my ass as well. Everyone has a solution, but no one has yet to become successful with it. I say do you. The hustle never dies and the dream lives on.

Networks would then be forced to open the flood gates to the independent and unsigned, in order to gain leverage over major labels. My theory, independent and unsigned artist would take a lower royalty payout on the sheer grounds of "hunger to succeed". That would be a big "F U" to the major labels.

Same thing i was thinkin reading the article. This could really benefit the indie artist. The only people i see this negatively affecting is cell phone & ipod makers & let's be honest those bastards are filthy rich already so who cares??

LOL @ the list @ the bottom though.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
A scarier scenario would be a merged broadcasting syndicate "buying" music from the independent or unsigned, thus their systamatic takeover of sync-licensing. That would be a broom in the ass of major labels and a possible death blow.

well said...

If a compromise is reached then it will mean business as usual because the radio broadcasters will simply raise the payola rate they charge the labels to make up the difference. Meanwhile the labels will gobble up the majority of the artist royalty money by telling the artist they're owed zero due to being unrecouped (90-98% of ALL signed artist are in unrecouped status with the label) via cross-collateration of album points. The few superstar artists and others that are paying attention and have saavy attorneys will be able to avoid the label's tentacles and recieve proper compensation. Many others have already signed it away without even knowing it.

Last edited:
If a compromise is reached then it will mean business as usual because the radio broadcasters will simply raise the payola rate they charge the labels to make up the difference. Meanwhile the labels will gobble up the majority of the artist royalty money by telling the artist they're owed zero due to being unrecouped (90-98% of ALL signed artist are in unrecouped status with the label) via cross-collateration of album points. The few superstar artists and others that are paying attention and have saavy attorneys will be able to avoid the label's tentacles and recieve proper compensation. Many others have already signed it away without even knowing it.

Exactly. The majority of artists would see none of this new revenue stream.

And there may be some regions where radio don't play local artists, but there are also some that do. And what I'm trying to tell you guys are that these are the stations most likely to be affected by this ruling.

You think Power 106 is going to go out out of business before HOT 107.1 FM out of Memphis Tennessee does who actually does support there local artists???

I may not have all the answers about how to make music as profitable as it was in the 90's before Napster came along (I'd be very rich), but I do know this ain't it. This kind of sweeping generalization of lets get all the radio stations out of here and somehow try to start over would hurt you guys chances of getting heard and breaking through the glass ceiling more than help it. I guarantee you that.

MC Git Busy's radio station is going down way faster than Jay-Z's radio station, if Jay-Z's radio station is going down at all. I guess that plan of working and developing your own local artists to get put on doesn't look so tempting after all now does it?

Exactly. The majority of artists would see none of this new revenue stream.

And there may be some regions where radio don't play local artists, but there are also some that do. And what I'm trying to tell you guys are that these are the stations most likely to be affected by this ruling.

You think Power 106 is going to go out out of business before HOT 107.1 FM out of Memphis Tennessee does who actually does support there local artists???

I may not have all the answers about how to make music as profitable as it was in the 90's before Napster came along (I'd be very rich), but I do know this ain't it. This kind of sweeping generalization of lets get all the radio stations out of here and somehow try to start over would hurt you guys chances of getting heard and breaking through the glass ceiling more than help it. I guarantee you that.

MC Git Busy's radio station is going down way faster than Jay-Z's radio station, if Jay-Z's radio station is going down at all. I guess that plan of working and developing your own local artists to get put on doesn't look so tempting after all now does it?
o yea cuz selling 20 dollar leases to talentless hacks is so damn appealing right :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Damn i didn't even think about it like that. I also didn't take into account that this could hurt indie radio as well.

I guess that plan of working and developing your own local artists to get put on doesn't look so tempting after all now does it?

radio wasn't doin' shit for a lot of local muthafukcaz anyways...

UNDERGROUND never was about no "radio"-type bullshit in the first place.

radio wasn't doin' shit for a lot of local muthafukcaz anyways...

UNDERGROUND never was about no "radio"-type bullshit in the first place.

Depends on what you're goal is in breaking the artists. Some people want to work their city, hook up with local dj's, try to get a buzz in the clubs, and then get on their local radio station. Then from there they can sign a major record label deal, sign a distribution deal, tour, etc. etc. etc. I'll spare you the details. And I'm sure you can see how this will benefit the producer who grew and nurtured this artist and buzz.

Or you can just kick back, throw some beats on a website you don't even own, and sell your work for pennies because everybody else is doing it.

Just depends on what your goal is.:smokinFP:

Back