FP is this really as currupt as they say

the labels put the artists in a box to work with certain producers and have all that shit set up by the time the ink dries up on the contract.. you know how they make albums for big artists like Rihanna?.. they have shit called Writing Sessions.. the labels book out a studio and bring in about 12 producers and writers and have them work on records for that album (just in case you trying to submit records for artists of that caliber... dont even bother unless you have a direct connect with the exact head A & R of her project.. chances are you probably dont)

plus the A & Rs that sign the artists usually have producers on a roster in the management section of their companies, so they keep shit all inhouse anyway

pro sumer is a professional consumer, the way that anybody can say "i want to make beats" go buy a macbook and gear and can have the groundwork to make beats, that could be professional. the way you can get a 600 dollar camera and take really good pictures from the gate.. its not like years before where you needed 10s of thousands of dollars to make music or shoot videos, you can do it all with a budget of around 5k for starters

and American Idol is set up like that in the contracts they have when you sign up to be on that show, why would anybody want to sign to a label that takes more money from them, and 360 deals are becoming the norm anyway? people know that labels hinge creativity and take money. theres no appeal in signing to a deal in this day and age.

that American Idol shit is part of a business model that is becoming very popular and expect more TV companies to do this.

"The contestants must be legal U.S. residents, and must not hold any current recording or talent representation contract by the semifinal stage" a portion of the rules to be on american idol. then when the person wins, they get a recording contract and are managed by a management team thats affiliated with the show.

all the networks/TV shows do this

Nickelodeon has a roster of artists, that get their own TV shows/series its a way they can get more money, same with Disney as we saw with hannah montana, i think cartoon network had a roster of artists as well not too sure. its all money, but artists arent signing deals because of monkey see/monkey do.. at least not entirely.. they sign deals cause these labels sit in your face and tell you all the things theyve done for huge artists, and try to convince you that you arent capable of producing similar results.

its crippling.

radio isnt going to die any time soon. People still like the idea of being handed music and what better way to hand people music while on the go than radio right now? Once these straming phone apps get better on cell phones then yeah radio will be done but for now thats not the case.
I only can speak from personal experience and from where I live, we don't even have a dedicated radio station for hip hop just a top 40's radio station that plays mostly pop, crossover, and a hip hop song once in a blue moon. Pretty much everybody that I know listens to music in their cars off their phones, ipods, and mp3 players off those tape adapters. People are barely listening to cd's/mix cd's anymore and what's the point when you can put 100's/1000's of songs on your ipod.

From what I personally see most people are getting/hearing new music off of hip hop blogs, youtube, (internet) now in days

I only can speak from personal experience and from where I live, we don't even have a dedicated radio station for hip hop just a top 40's radio station that plays mostly pop, crossover, and a hip hop song once in a blue moon. Pretty much everybody that I know listens to music in their cars off their phones, ipods, and mp3 players off those tape adapters. People are barely listening to cd's/mix cd's anymore and what's the point when you can put 100's/1000's of songs on your ipod.

From what I personally see most people are getting/hearing new music off of hip hop blogs, youtube, (internet) now in days

Every area adapts to things differently. the "hiphop" station where I live is closer to top 40 than real hip hop. people here generally listen to both. but where I live people are usually late on trends anyway.

i GUARANTEE you that there's MILLIONS of people out there that would STILL sign deals...REGARDLESS of what the facts are

of course, just like there a millions of people that still eat mcdonalds knowing that it kills you slowly, but as more successful acts go indie, more people will follow the success.

and who do you think is gonna tell you that theres no real appeal in signing a deal? the labels?

im not saying all deals are evil and all labels are bad.. but i am saying sign one when you want one, not cause you need one.

is that a LIE or are they telling the TRUTH??

its a lie, everything can be done for self in life if you want it bad enough and work hard at it.. you just gotta know the steps it takes to succeed and you can do it as cliche as it sounds

but nobody can ever work harder for you then you.. it might take a lot of work, you might have to work 20x harder then a normal artist for 20x longer.. but you can say youre self made.. i look at Tech n9ne and the whole strange music camp.. the biggest indie rapper in the game.. all self made, his own company, his own merchandise, everything, his own tours.. its a pretty big deal.

so to have a label sit and tell you that you CANT do something is insane, but thats the message they try to put.. you can do anything if you put your mind to it as cliche as it sounds. if you have the talent, social skills and business savvy you can do anything.

look at all the companies that have changed the world.. what if steve jobs brought his idea of Apple and the apple brand to a company and they said "naw.. you cant do that, its gonna take forever for you to make money that way.. but how bout you work for us and develop something with our brand.. we can help you make your money faster and you can shoot right to the top in our company"

that defeats the purpose of having something thats yours.. i mean nothing wrong with it, but if you have the ability to do something for your self with yourself or people that you **** with.. why wouldnt you want to be totally self made?.. i know people have kids, family, responsibilities to take care of but *shrugs*

if you need a deal, and you need the money take it. im not gonna sit here and lie that if a label approached me with a 360 deal for 1.5 mil.. i would take that shit in a heartbeat.. money talks

but if you work a regular job 9-5.. especially if youre young, with no kids, no real responsibilities.. just wait it out.

its a lie, everything can be done for self in life if you want it bad enough and work hard at it

very, very true words...

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

nobody can ever work harder for you then you.. it might take a lot of work, you might have to work 20x harder then a normal artist for 20x longer.. but you can say youre self made

that's wussup...

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

"naw.. you cant do that, its gonna take forever for you to make money that way.. but how bout you work for us and develop something with our brand.. we can help you make your money faster and you can shoot right to the top in our company"

word...that be their angle ALL DAY

and im not Anti-Label, Anti Mainstream... im not anti-anything.. im just pro-know what youre doing before you sign a deal, and have people who have your best interests in mind.

and ask yourself, what do you think a label does for artists.. if you feel like you can do the majority of those things yourself, do it to the 10th power and move from there, thats all im saying

i dont feel like labels are bad.. i just feel like people dont ask enough questions because theyre either embarrassed or whatever the case may be.. but there are a lot of things in contracts that are carried over from the old recording contracts that still hold weight when they shouldnt with the new age.

its all business, its all money.. are there shady people? yes... and not all independent companies are good.. there are a lot of indies that move just like majors.. so i guess that whole rant is to just say leverage >>>

Last edited:
Back