Ever Been A Victim Of/Accused Of Beat Jacking?

Word has it that back in the early 2000's Domingo used to browse various producers sites and on occasion would post on those sites...

Around December 2005/January 2006 I uploaded an unfinished beat to my Soundclick, then posted it on a few forums to get feedback on it. The beat sampled the opening bars of Willie Hutch's "Ain't That (Mellow, Mellow)". I made a couple of revisions to it whenever I was bored, uploading the last version to my soundclick in April of 2007 (incidentally, I tweaked it even more a couple of years after that)

In 2008, Kool G Rap drops "Half a Klip". The first song on the album is "Risin Up", produced by Domingo. The beat is almost identical to the one I made and posted up. A few cats came to me about it, thinking that my joint had been ripped off 'cause the two were so strikingly similar.

I can't remember how it came up, but IIRC in 2009 some cat came across my version of the beat on my soundclick and he was a member of some forum that Domingo regularly posted on and came at dude about it. Domingo supposedly said I was trying to claim the beat was mine and that I had produced it. He happened to pose the question about the beat on a different forum I was a member of and I hit dude up and let him know my side of the story. He then went to Domingo with what I said and came back to me; this was his response:

"yo man that is cool I actually talked to domingo and he gave the impression that he had not heard your beat at all or anything so it seems like a pretty crazy cosmic coincidence (I'm not being sarcastic haha)"

Half of me was like "yeah right...", he heard my shit and flipped it, but then the other half of me remembered back when Redman's "Muddy Waters" dropped at the end of '96. There's a track on there called "Creepin" which samples the first two bars of Roy Ayers "Shining Symbol". Back around '94-95 I was flippin Roy Ayers samples all day long and would let local MC's I was cool with peep out my tracks frequently. There was a track that I had done that also sampled the first two bars of "Shining Symbol", slowed down in exactly the same way as "Creepin" and with a very similar drum pattern as Red's track. There was, however, a difference because I replayed the vibe section towards the end of Roy Ayers joint and layered it over a sampled break because the original would slow down ever so slightly towards the end of those few bars, throwing off any attempt to sample it right.

Everyone that had heard my version simply thought I either sold the beat or that my shit had been jacked... Which was impossible because I hadn't sent my beats out and no one had a tape of 'em; they had only heard them.

I let the whole Domingo shit go. Can't prove anything and it could have very well been a coincidence so I just said "fuck it" and moved on.

Last edited:
Yep. Made a track for one artist, only sent it to that one artist, he used it for his album but then somehow the instrumental ended up in the hands of some group that used it for a compilation, didn't even get credit for producing it.
How did I handle it? I contacted the label owner and told them that they needed to put my name in the credits, the owner said if they re-pressed the album that they would make sure to do it. Doubt they repressed it lol.

Back