Europe's Militant Stance in Hip Hop

benji2

Great video by KRS-One. It answers why so many of my militant associates & Jay Electornica prefer to live or spend significant time in London. I'd still have to see it with my own eyes:

Listen to how he describe's Afrika Bambatta's vision in the beginning. That's why I admire Bam so much and think a movie about the man is a necessity.

Cool. Always gotta respect KRS-One, but he be having these holes in his position sometimes.
Like I don't see other artists getting recognized by the President. Sh_t if your lucky, you can get invited to play at the white house.
But the respect and government thing is pushing it. KRS-One, like others, are at the tail end of their careers.
The US market is highly saturated with MCs and producers.
KRS is 50 + years old, let's be serious
The global grind has long been better for artists than in the US. Cats been going, and moving, to Europe for years.
I'm happy that artists can travel to get the respect and money they need, but the US is still the center when it comes to Hip-Hop/urban music.
There are plenty of dope UK artists, for example, who can't break in the US market with big machines behind them.
You might be poppin where u come from, but u ain't doing it until u make a dent in the US.

Ya a movie about Bam would be great:cool:

Cool. Always gotta respect KRS-One, but he be having these holes in his position sometimes.
Like I don't see other artists getting recognized by the President. Sh_t if your lucky, you can get invited to play at the white house.
But the respect and government thing is pushing it. KRS-One, like others, are at the tail end of their careers.
The US market is highly saturated with MCs and producers.
KRS is 50 + years old, let's be serious
The global grind has long been better for artists than in the US. Cats been going, and moving, to Europe for years.
I'm happy that artists can travel to get the respect and money they need, but the US is still the center when it comes to Hip-Hop/urban music.
There are plenty of dope UK artists, for example, who can't break in the US market with big machines behind them.
You might be poppin where u come from, but u ain't doing it until u make a dent in the US.

Ya a movie about Bam would be great:cool:

Yeah , I only was able to catch about the first 8 minutes. KRS one is a walking contradiction. You cant take everything he says at face value. Now that I think of it, Jay Electronica is dating a Rotschild heiress(lol). Aint nothing militant about that. He may be over there living a privileged life of luxury. I did hear from many artists how Europe appreciates hip hop and never really embraced commercial rap like we did in the states.

Last edited:
I initially only watched about 4 minutes of it actually. I have now watched it in it's entirety. KRS One gets an A on this topic. I met Europeans in college from italy and Germany who were cool as ice water, big fans of hip hop. I defintely understand where he's coming from. Europe may be a rap legend's paradise. It's a great place to visit and make decent money but it's dull and restrictive compared to America. It's not a place too many American rappers would want to live either.

Last edited:
Back