Is Drake a culture vulture?

KelevraOne

Not too Kelevra son
Honest to God question. Should we consider Drake to be a culture vulture? He's very heavily drawn from different areas as far as music goes at different times in his career. we got Jamaican Drake, British Drake, Houston Drake, Memphis Drake and Toronto Drake.

...well i haven't met a humboldt drake. But I do know a lot of great artists, and we're all connected through that small town.

it's crazy, but I can count more very successful artists than I have fingers and we've all come out of or gone through humboldt at one point.

but drake? ...no clue.

A culture vulture isn't determined by the style of music you make. The term applies to people outside of music who try to capitilize/make money by using others for commerce. It's like what a few major labels did when they didn't know anything about the music culture, but saw a way to invest into artists for a cash return. If anyone here ever took a music business course, you may remember that there are only 3 major lablels that control the other "majors"...none of them are American. Can you guess which? Their executives are culture vultures.

As as for Drake, a musician/artist...it is the nature of such a person to absorb other styles and further the evolution of music. I grew up in New York playing classical and gospel piano. If I release a rock or edm track this year, does that make me a culture vulture or a versatile musician?

Drake ain't doing nothing that thousands of other rappers haven't done. Sampling = a form of culture culturing. The whole Hip-Hop genre is mostly a derivative of other genres.

I don't think he is. I think he just loved what he heard from other genres to the point that he incorporated them to the genre he is in.

Back