Dr. Dre sues Death Row

That's wassup!!

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003627976

Rapper/producer Dr. Dre filed a lawsuit in bankruptcy court against defunct label Death Row Records over who owns the rights to the 1992 album "The Chronic."

Dr. Dre, whose real name is Andre Young, alleges in the suit that he owns the copyrights to the album, which features hits such as "Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang." And he isn't taking kindly to the possibility that Death Row and the court-appointed bankruptcy administrator will try to sell the rights.

The lawsuit, filed Wednesday with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Los Angeles, asserts that Dr. Dre created, produced and was the principal performer on all master recordings for "The Chronic."

Sometime around the fall of 1992, Dr. Dre granted Death Row a license to distribute the album in exchange for payment of royalties. The album was released on the Death Row label in November of that year.

Around March 1996, Dr. Dre agreed to relinquish his 50 percent ownership interest in Death Row Records, as specified in a written agreement. Also under that 1996 agreement, Dr. Dre agreed to hand over copyrights to the album on the condition he continue receiving royalties.

According to the suit, while Dr. Dre has held up his end of the bargain, Death Row has failed to pay the royalties. As a result, Dr. Dre gave Death Row Records notice in 2000 that he was rescinding the agreements and demanding return of the copyrights.

Based on that move, Dr. Dre asserts in the lawsuit that he is again the rightful owner of the copyrights and that the defendants -- Death Row and the Chapter 11 trustee administering the bankruptcy case -- have infringed on his rights by continuing to distribute the album without the rapper's authorization.

According to the lawsuit, Dr. Dre believes the Chapter 11 trustee intends to sell the copyrights and in the past month has solicited bids from potential buyers.

Dr. Dre is asking the L.A. bankruptcy court to declare that the 1992 and 1996 agreements have been rescinded and compel Death Row and the trustee to restore the copyrights to him. He's also asking that the label and trustee be made to pay him restitution for all revenue Death Row received from its use of the copyrights.

Dr. Dre also wants the court to issue a permanent injunction that would bar the defendants from offering the copyrights for sale without his written consent. "If not enjoined, the trustee will proceed to accept a bid, and seek bankruptcy court approval to sell the copyrights accordingly," the lawsuit states.

Good for him, hope he wins..That was a pretty much self made album and he deserves full ownership of it..

Makes you think of what is happening with the other albums he did for Snoop on Death Row like DoggyStyle.

It's only right. I wonder what will happen to the rest of the catalog and what about Dre's unreleased music that Deathrow agreed not to release?

That album he was working on with Cube and his second solo album "Poppa's got a brand new bag" that Cali Love was supposed to be on.

Looks like Dre is about to go after some of the money that Suge was "deebo'ing" him out of.

Cuz he was still the PRODUCER of some of those albums, and that shouldn't factor into his OWNERSHIP of the label that he relinquished in that 1996 agreement.

So hopefully he's gonna at least get back royalties from the sales off those albums that he produced on, and since when you produce a song, you own half of the copyright, he's probably gonna get paid when they sell of the DR catalog.

LOL...funny all he's worried about is that CHRONIC album. lol

I hope Dre can get his rights back to those songs. Snoop needs to sue them too. I remember when Snoop's Last Meal came out in 2000, Death Row posted the whole album on their website for download, two weeks before release. At the time Death Row was releasing their Snoop album with old recordings. They had a poll on their site to compare both albums and called it the Snoop Challenge.

barrysanders20 said:
I hope Dre can get his rights back to those songs. Snoop needs to sue them too. I remember when Snoop's Last Meal came out in 2000, Death Row posted the whole album on their website for download, two weeks before release. At the time Death Row was releasing their Snoop album with old recordings. They had a poll on their site to compare both albums and called it the Snoop Challenge.

but Karma comes back. Suge Knight has NOTHING. Judges have seized all his assets.

Dr. Dre is at the highest point of his career. He's never been more paid.

Snoop is the most popular he's EVER been. His career is on cruise control, at it's peak.

God don't like ugly.

Dr. Dre deserves his money and I hope he gets it. That albums all him.

wait whos the owner of death row? didn't suge file bankruptcy

i dont think he wants it for $$$ as much as for ownership of it.

i wish i could hear all that unreleased dr. dre material, lol. prolly dope.

suge really got what he deserved.

j.troup said:
God don't like ugly.

then why is Lil Jon rich? :D
kidding.

now that Dre stopped smoking, he's remembering alot of things.
"oh yeah, I produced that sh*t too. that album is mine, I want my money back!!!" LOL

it's all about the Detox.

and he's still waiting for my beats.:rolleyes:
but I really need to Detox first, before I do that one. :sing:

Back