Does soundclick cheapen your brand?

Soundfont

Do you think you are viewed as a second rate producer for running things through soundclick? I mean you don't see mustard, nic nac, danja, etc on soundclick. But what if you did? what if you could go to a Nic Nac or Dj Mustard page on soundclick and they leased a bunch of their C-level beats. Would it diminish their brand and reflect poorly on them? I'm wondering if it's best to do SC under an alias. The thing is if a guy like Nic nac or Mustard leased beats on soundclick, their fame would bring in buyers and they'd make well over six figures. And a lease for a C-level beat would probably make them more money than some industry placements. I suppose one of the downside for big name producer on SC is that you'll have tons of wack artists releasing songs produced by 'your name'. Thoughts?

You should be on as many sites as possible to maximize exposure. The only thing that'll diminish your brand is if the musics wack.

Creative people create whether it's soundclick, myspace or even okayplayer. Everyone has to start somewhere so I doubt the few beats a producer uploads to Soundclick will hurt his brand long term anyway. The more important issue is can he continue to make slamming tracks when called upon.

Chop , lex , jahlil and tons of others had a sc.

so my question would be, would it hurt them if they kept the SC account? The more I think about it, it would be wise to maintain it, just don't put up throwaways that make you look bad. Jahlil would probably be making more off SC than he does in the industry if he was still leasing.

For me personally, if I see a producer/artist on soundclick, I automatically assume they are at least somewhat behind the times. It's kind of like if I saw someone link to their myspace. Everyone links to soundcloud or youtube nowadays, which seem to be much more populated and intuitive to use. To answer your question, I believe it depreciates the brand, especially if that's where the artist is directing everyone to listen to their music.

For me personally, if I see a producer/artist on soundclick, I automatically assume they are at least somewhat behind the times. It's kind of like if I saw someone link to their myspace. Everyone links to soundcloud or youtube nowadays, which seem to be much more populated and intuitive to use. To answer your question, I believe it depreciates the brand, especially if that's where the artist is directing everyone to listen to their music.

ok, I worded my question poorly. I meant to ask if online beatselling/beat leasing diminishes your value. Like you don't see big name producers leasing beats, even though I'm sure they make hundreds of beats that don't place. If they sold those on the web, would they be taken less seriously?

Call me a newb, but I've only heard of Soundclick by its name. Never went there or tried it or anything. Maybe somebody could fill me in on what it's all about. Is it like a music reviewal service?

-Matty
www.MattyJonesBeats.com | @DrMattyJonez

Last edited:
Anything getting you exposure is good. Most producers have short lived runs. I don't think anyone should have "throwaways" of any type when they're hot. But the second people aren't checking for you, why not have an SC(soundcloud/soundclick) page along with any other outlet to keep fans looking once the industry has moved past your worth?

Most of those guys make Six Figures a month selling to local rappers/independents, their inboxes are already flooded and have people coming to them not the other way around

If you are aiming for major placements then yea it does.
On the flipside if you are targeting indies it helps.

It's baffling to me how in 2015 producers don't have their
own websites with their own e-commerce system, completely
bypassing soundclick.

damn, soundclick still exists?

lol @ six figures a month. I don't believe it's even possible to make that off music in 2015

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends, do you want to sell 99 cent beats or premium beats?

I'll put it to you like this...

A brand of New York ice cream wanted to build up a perceived high value for their brand. So what did they do?

They stocked their ice cream at only the upmarket stores. Upped their price, changed their product range to appeal to sophisticated adults. They re-branded themselves with a new Danish name (foreign branding). Furthermore, their logo was designed with "high value" colours (dark reds, silvers and gold)...

Entirely opposite to the competitors who marketed towards children with bright colours and only a bit of pocket money.

After a few years, once they built up their brand loyalty they started selling in the big chain supermarkets, your Tescos/Walmarts of the world... The ice cream became more available but still maintained the high value.

Do you see what I'm saying?

I was talking about Haagen-Dasz by the way.

Last edited:
Back