Do You Miss Real Hip Hop?

OGBama

When people say they miss "real" Hip Hop they miss the hypermasculinity which hasn't really left and probably won't ever leave (no matter how much of a simp people label Drake he is still playing up hypermasculine tropes such as: I got your girl and I'm gonna have sex with her, I got more money, etc). It is this hypermasculinity that has many a man confused as to his "role" in society and going deeper the need to prove one's self to his fellow man is why many Brothas have done prison time and that has been a badge of honor inside and outside of Hip Hop. Real men don't need to control women as women are to control their own selves.

I had a conversation/debate tonight at work about something similar to this (masculinity, hiphop, and race) triggered by my coworker and I reaction to the cover of Young Thug's new album. I feel that society still cannot grasp the fact that femininity and masculinity are really just social constructs and have nothing to do with biological sex. I can't see how wearing a dress can make someone gay let alone a "woman", because, lets be honest-what part of our physiology specifies that a man must wear pants and a woman must wear a skirt?

No I don't because it never left. I listen to slacker everyday, underground hip hip station and the new Shit coming out from there is bananas.

Nope.

Fake hip hop is more real than the real hip hop because the real hip hop is not on the radio and I only listen to the radio.

So real hip hop is just dead and gone. The fake hip hop motivates me and intrigues me in a way that the real hip hop cannot compete with.

Real hip hop just doesn't have any place in the conversation at this point. It has said and done all it could and now it just fades away so the fake hip hop can shine with the light of 1,000 suns.

At least to me, "real" hip hop doesn't have to be a macho thing.

Dead Prez, Roots, Immortal Technique, Saul Williams, etc

When artists like that used that hypermasculinity it was usually intended to be ironic and a commentary on the mainstream's tendency towards it.

Some of the indie/underground artists still channel that.

I find myself holding on to Real HipHop songs longer now. I don't even listen to the radio. So when I get a new album with a real hiphop sound I normally keep it in rotation for a couple years and just ignore all the bs.

Yes, as your header reads, I do miss REAL HIP HOP

Lyrics, punchlines, wordplay, style, charisma, diction, flow, a message. The whole masculinity thing, I get it, but that doesn't constitute hip hop as a whole, it's characteristic, but real hip hop, was about the music that gelled with the wordplay. An art and science it was, there was also diversity, now everyone mimicks each other with beats done in 10-15 min with a Sub bass & 808 with a sparse melody and tripled hi hats, and one long ass run on sentence.

It seems the weirder you can be, the hotter you are, I don't discredited ALL current rappers, but it isn't REAL when your goal is to JUST...... do it for the money.

The reason the OLD SCHOOL hip hop lasts, is because of the message and the purity of sound, the element of BOOM BAP. Once again not discrediting ALL current music, but seriously some of the stuff heard......SERIOUSLY (smh)

This right here.

We just miss real rap. I don't care if you rap on boom bap beats or trap beats, but atleast spits som real bars and have meaning in with you wonna say.

And as far as hip hop, we miss the culture. The dancing, the scratching, the clothes all of it is gone.

Last edited:
@ OGBama, The position that you presented seemed like a weak (my opinion) college thesis/argument for an essay because hiphop is not based on masculinity. Sure, that can be one aspect of it, depending on the artist. But it can also have nothing to do with it, depending on the artist. It does read like you are seeking feedback for a research paper, though because it contains that dry, one-dimensional characteristic of an essay argument.

Anyway,

I sometimes get upset about this, but the truth is that "real" hiphop simply is just not played on the radio anymore.
There are some scattered radio shows and podcasts, etc that do but it certainly isn't played on the major stations like it used to be. People are not exposed to it as much as they used to, so it seems like hiphop is dead. It is not.

What I am mostly is sad about is that, right now, what is being portrayed as hiphop; is not hiphop at all. It does not represent anything about hiphop and it should be viewed as a separate entity altogether. It should have a different name. I'm sure we've seen the clips of these wack persons that specifically claim that they are not mc's and do not have to say anything meaningful over a beat. Let them do their thing and sever them from any type of identification with the hiphop artform. They are garbage. Let them define their own genre because it is not hiphop or rap.

Anyway, hiphop is alive and well. It just takes more effort than before to find it, because society and social media is saturated with what makes you stupider.

There are people around creating some of the most insane beats I've ever heard, that is for certain. There are still great writers and MC's out there too.

I miss hearing people think and using their brains to create music and write verses with intellect/substance...That's what I miss.
We are in an age where stupidity is celebrated and embraced as cool. Speaking and rhyming like you have had a severe brain injury is NOT cool or a way to best express oneself, but then, this is a subjective statement. If you want everyone to perceive you as retarded, then I guess you rap over beats like some of these guys do now. If you encourage yourself to have a low IQ, then you will.

I don't think it's out of line to mention or suggest that it's possible that this form of music has been hijacked and weaponized to facilitate the further idiocracy of the masses. My f'in grandma could write better than almost all of these embarrassments to the human race that pass for what is acceptable as vocalists or writers. I only hope that the youth can see through the bullshit and have someone to guide them, that's the only way they will know to want to create something better.

Nothing on the radio is Hip Hop. Just like how this younger generation tried to make up that "dance" and call it the "new Running Man". No, that is not the Running Man - it is something completely different.

Culture vultures are making cookie-cutter generic music and trying to pass it off as Hip Hop.

A cubic zirconia is not a diamond no matter how much you try to convince me it is.

@OGBama, i came across kinda mean/abrasive, sorry. I meant to say I disagree with your stance that people simply miss the male dominated/hypermasculinity aspect of hiphop when they say they miss "real hiphop".

Then went on to explain why I personally miss it and why it's still here.
As the above post claims though,...yeah, not on the radio....commercial radio, at least.

I miss 90s hip hop, those beats were bangin', brrrap. Rob

What's their to miss, "real hip hop" still exists. Logic. Childish. King Los. J.Cole, Kendrick.. all rappers of this generation. I think people are too focused on what's going on in mainstream music to realise the authentic style of hip-hop never left.

Back