do you beilive in sending demos in

NOTOWN HERO

so a friend and i are having a debate on: is it beneficial to spreading the word to sending in a demo or your mixtape into music studios and big name artists and producers.

my answer was it couldnt hurt, worse they do is not get back to you...

his answer was; waste of time cus they have so many others sending stuff in they probably disregaurd it....

experiances? yoru thaoguhts?

Im actually workin on a compilation to hand out and send to studios al over I was watchin a video with sha money xl and mentioned it is good to have a nice lookin demo cuz it keeps their attention longer who wants a sony cd-r disc with some marker over it

take ya time and mske sure its right

like I said im on the same thing right now

it never hurts.

even if you wind up with some one whos not in a position to help you hearing your music
thats one more potential fan.

BUT

you need a following. whether its soley online, overseas or just home town you need to have some kind of fanbase

look @ how oj da juiceman worked his way up.

exacly as long as you try and get taht music out there no matter what ...i really like the suggestion of making your demo stick out.

It doesn't hurt. It's another way of catching that persons ear. It always helps when you are catching their ear in other ways. like producing on records that have a buzz.

You also have to remember that a lot of interns will go through music submissions at labels. If they like your ****, they will pass it over.

What up D Wells?

Yeah, my sister tells me that all the time. "You need to send that to <insert rapper/singer who would be perfect for the beat> NOW!!"

I will, but like dude said, you need to come correct with it.

The key is to make a demo tape people just can't resist. I'm talking about potential hit instrumentals and also write your own lyrics and record demo vocals to it. Three-four very good songs and all different in style is pretty good goal. I begin to press demo-cds when I have those three-four irresistable songs ( and some extra money ). It still takes me years to do so ( to finance demos and cut the cd ), but I know how high the standard is. My skills in graphic design also get to work, to make sure those high standards and dedication are also seen.

This is the best track order in my opinion:

1. Anthemic uptempo pop-song. Something that instantly hooks the listener and gives a nice starting "explosion".

2. Little bit slower ( but still fast ) club-song. Something that rocks the nearest club straight from that demo-tape.

3. Softer pop/rock acoustic ballad. The lyrics and melody are very important. This makes him/her wanna call you about how beautiful and emotional the song is.

4. Maybe a dramatic slow instrumental piece should be a good closing piece. Something hooky and beautiful. Something that makes you feel you are in a middle of the ocean and divine warmth surrounds you while looking at the sunset.

Last edited:
so a friend and i are having a debate on: is it beneficial to spreading the word to sending in a demo or your mixtape into music studios and big name artists and producers.

my answer was it couldnt hurt, worse they do is not get back to you...

his answer was; waste of time cus they have so many others sending stuff in they probably disregaurd it....

experiances? yoru thaoguhts?

There are two basic schools of thought when it comes to this topic:

1) I have talent and I need to promote to the people/companies in hopes they make an investment (finance and/or resources) in me to help maximize my push back to the consumer. This investment is based on talent (demo tape)

2) I have talent and I need to promote directly to the consumer so I can create a core audience base for my product. By doing so I can start making money immediately and continue to spread my brand virally (if your product is dope the consumer will promote it for you) and attract an investor which in turn can help maximize my push back to the consumer. This investment is based on existing MARKET SHARE.

Both approaches have been proven to work and there is nothing stopping you from doing both at the same time. Put yourself in the shoes of the person your trying to gain the attention of and ask yourself the same question and it will help you make the best decision.

^^^ Agreed.

Sending in demo's is basically the equivalent of saying "put me on". If you do happen to catch the attention of someone that's going to "put you on", they're gonna respond with the statement "take what we give you".

So if you're just sending in demo's, you have no proven fan base, no quantifiable market share, then you're asking someone to make a high risk investment in you...and high risk investments come at a high price.

So "putting you on" comes at a high price.

On the other hand, pushing your product directly to the consumer and getting a fanbase, so that the people you're asking to "put you on" can see that you already have a built in base and that you're actually ABLE to make money, then you have more LEVERAGE.

So whent hey say "take what we give you", you can say "kiss my ass", because you already have the leverage.

I'd go with B. Puts you in a position of power.

Go and establish a base for your product, and make them come to you.

So if you're just sending in demo's, you have no proven fan base, no quantifiable market share, then you're asking someone to make a high risk investment in you...and high risk investments come at a high price.

So "putting you on" comes at a high price.

What risk are you talking about?

Im actually workin on a compilation to hand out and send to studios al over I was watchin a video with sha money xl and mentioned it is good to have a nice lookin demo cuz it keeps their attention longer who wants a sony cd-r disc with some marker over it

take ya time and mske sure its right

like I said im on the same thing right now

Yup. And make sure it was permitted (or solicited) or most won't even open it.

It also doesn't hurt to include the bio, and reference/quote sheet. ya know braggin on yourself. If you can.

And ya, it never hurts.

What risk are you talking about?

The risk of putting money behind you (if you're an artist), or taking a risk of having an unproven producer make the beat for a song (if you're an artist).

Breaking a record can costs up to half a million dollars, so that's alot of bread to "risk" on someone who doesn't have any type of proven ability to sell records.

Producers names sell records just as artists names do.

If that record fails, then that's alot of money gone.

that's the risk I'm talking about.

why wait for the right person to hear your demo? make your own album and push it yourself. Don't chase the industry make ur own money and make them chase you.

why wait for the right person to hear your demo? make your own album and push it yourself. Don't chase the industry make ur own money and make them chase you.

if you are marketing and promoting yourself, it wont hurt to distribute your professional sounding product to anywhere you can think of.

Back