DMV Coalition (DC, MARYLAND, VIRGINIA)

Anyone go to that Va hip hop awards thing last year? If so was it any good? And has anyone heard about another one happening any time soon?

Im originally from North VA (WoodBridge) But I got major connects for anybody up that way...I know producers, engineers, few studio owners (serious recording studios) More Dj's than I can count and they always looking to work with talented ppl...I could of made a killing up there but I decided to move to FLA and put in work here....anybody wanna network with some serious ppl up that way (DMV) Let me know what you do and looking to meet. ...PM me or email me beatfanatix@gmail.com

Just wanted to let everybody know that we're working on a DMV website right now called ...:::PeeP My MuziK:::...., its basically just a music player and a forum right now, we're accepting music submissions from artists around the area. Check it out on twitter too at Twitter. If you have any ideas for the site or want to be a part of it, email us at peepmymuzik@gmail.com

DMV is about to take over real soon. I know from first hand experience that Richmond and NOVA are doing a lot of things behind the scenes. Just wait. Just wait.

born and raised out here in the RVA...dmv is already on its feet..a whole new type of sound...its going to be..south,east coast,west coast,midwest,etc and DMV will be a classified "sound"

Good to see this thread still going after 4 years.

DMV has always been a frustrating concept. For starters, only PG and MoCo would (or should) associate themselves with DC rather than Baltimore. In the same way, only Alexandria and Arlington would associate themselves with DC; Nobody in Richmond or Hampton Roads is riding with DC.

So for me its always been a D.C. metropolitan thing, strictly defined.

But D.C. is already a legendary music town. Duke ellington and marvin

And then as far as a regional sound, go go has got to be the most unique regional sound--it's not even a contest, go go is done on a whole nother format--its 7 or 10 dudes playing. its completely unique--its its own genre of music

So i guess part of my problem is that people on here would talk about a movement or whatever but nobody ever talked about the actual characteristics of what the music would be--if some dude lives down my block but i hear his song online and would have no way to distinguish his sound from a dude in LA or alabama or canada, then theres no actual movement. Like you shouldnt have to be told that the artist or the track is performed in a regional style.

So i guess if were serious about a movement we need to get serious about the geography, and we need to actually develop a style that will manifest itself in family resemblances between the work of artists. There needs to be a flavor to tie us together.

Im pretty sure that the flavor that should tie us together is Go Go. And im pretty sure this is a DC movement, our legacy is the mural of marvin on ny ave and the mural of duke on u street by the metro. Baltimore has a completely different legacy, as does richmond and hampton roads.

anyway if anyone wants live drums on a track PM me.

^^^ Jams I see what you mean, I've thought about the same thing too. Thing is, being right in the middle of the major urban music hubs, our sound is gonna be inspired by so many different factors. I see this as a positive thing. Also, its more than just a sound, we need to come together and support each other as a whole, instead of a bunch of musicians that JUST HAPPEN to be in the DMV... Easier said than done though I guess.

Looking to link up with a producer whose in search of an artist in the DMV area...

I'm in the area, but I'm not sure if my stuff is your style. Feel free to check a few of my tracks out. If you're interested you can contact me thru FP or on the cloud. If not, good luck with everything!

This a recent just ol school jammin track I did, you can see my other stuff on the cloud.
New orleans 95 by da_beat_professor on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

im super late but im from silver spring md, just moved out to philly tho.. got some heat at soundcloud.com/gbosproductions.com im back and forth all the time

There will never be unity when it comes to personal ambitions....Only in times of war do people unite....Can you imagine hundreds of mice trying to squeeze into one tiny mouse hole....That's the state of the music industry

There will never be unity when it comes to personal ambitions....Only in times of war do people unite....Can you imagine hundreds of mice trying to squeeze into one tiny mouse hole....That's the state of the music industry

The way I see it, if I collab with an artist in the next city over, then we both get exposure to each of our fans. Or if someone from my area needs mixing, mastering, videos, whatever, I like to be able to work with people in person and actually enjoy the creative process. Thats whats wrong with the industry now, too much greed. Instead of complaining about it we should do something about it....

Back