DMV Coalition (DC, MARYLAND, VIRGINIA)

Styl

If anyone stays up on current music trends and such, than you should know that there is a massive amount of talent coming out of this area. Besides the best major label producers in the industry right now, the underground scene of DMV if filled with gifted musicians. I'd like to start a coalition of all the artists and producers from this area so we can all know whats happening in our region, be able to network with each other, and basically put out the best music in the country.

A website would definitely be a place to start, and possibly even set up shop in the hot spots of the DMV area. Post up some ideas if you're from this area, lets get some unity going in our region and get this popping! We could very well be the next big spot for rap/hip hop.

Also, NC really has some talented folks too, we really need to get together as a community and create a coalition. Like I said, lets get this business rolling.

EDIT: Now that we have this thing going on, lets get some info from everyone that wants to contribute. Hit me up with your email addresses, let me know what you can come through with! If we can all contribute then there will definitely be something in it for all of us.

Last edited:
I'm Newport News/VA Beach. I'm all about this movement. Who's running it tho? Where did it originate from, I've been hearing it so long I never thought to ask?

no1's really runnin it, but folks from the area just started using it a while back and it stuck ever since...I Think It STarted On the Radio Station... Its kinda workin these days because Bmore And DC had Beef For a While(Prolly Still Do) But Now I See FOlks From All Over The Area Showin Love...

DC cats got one of the craziest accents I ever heard. The way yall pronounce the long "u" sound all deep...like "'Drew" sounds like Druuee".

Forgot where I heard it too, but might as well run with it. Not sure whos running it, but we all could be for real. Staunton is on the western side of VA, past Charlottesville.

Reply to P.Batman -

lol yeahh man... cuz we stuck in the middle...Mix of up north accent with the south(more of the south if ya ask me)....

We like the Middle Child that neva gets heard...but shyt shud change soon

Styl said:
Forgot where I heard it too, but might as well run with it. Not sure whos running it, but we all could be for real. Staunton is on the western side of VA, past Charlottesville.

Ohh Way off in da country... das wasup

Last edited:
Pimp4days said:
Ohh Way off in da country... das wasup
Haha yeah but we got a little bit of a scene around the area.

A few ideas I had included a website showcasing anyone who wants to get their music out, a discussion board similar to this one where people could talk about events and artists from the area, and maybe setting up some events for DMV music. I know theres going to be an awards show for Va hip hop in Richmond soon, anyone know about this?

Styl said:
Haha yeah but we got a little bit of a scene around the area.

A few ideas I had included a website showcasing anyone who wants to get their music out, a discussion board similar to this one where people could talk about events and artists from the area, and maybe setting up some events for DMV music. I know theres going to be an awards show for Va hip hop in Richmond soon, anyone know about this?

As Far As Anything HAppening In RIchmond I Wouldnt Hear About it Cuz Das Like 2 Hours From Me... But I Mean theres Myspaces Pages Up For DMV.. But Your idea is a good one if you gone take it to the next level.
Me personally what i do to contribute to the area is recently been producing 3 artist in my area just workin with them creating songs and plan on doing what every other person on earth is doing and put out a mixtape...

dkapbeatz said:
reppin NOVA here fairfax

I Can Dig It... Got A Few Breezys Out There :victory:

Last edited:
im in the Nova area ,i be trying to find other cats to work with but i dont meet alot of cats.lol
but yeah i attached a skeleton im workin on.lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have more information about their area in particular? Contribute your myspace pages and sites on here, we should get a nice discussion going with everybody from this area. Also anyone with web design and graphics skills willing to work on this too, lets get this going.

Btw nice clip beatdoctor.

Last edited:
Wale music is my sh*t. He definitely gon put D.C. on the map. Yeah it might just be yall time next but Atlanta is holdin on 4 dear life & aint tryin 2 let it go 4 nuthin...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha yeah true. But like I said, artists like Clipse, Wale, Trey Songz, Neptunes, Timbo, etc. are all damn talented, and theres so many more on the underground scene around here. I'm working on getting a website poppin off, but we still need more ideas and contribution, anything is appreciated.

I'm from PG County MD.

There are two monthly events here in DC...a beat battle that seems to change venues a bit, and an open mic called "Mindpower" that happens every last Friday of ever month at "Artmosphere", a bar on Rhode Island Ave. I have to verify what's going on with the beat battle, though. There's a 3rd event people have been telling me about at a spot called Bohemian Caverns on U St. I've been hearing about people wanting more events in Maryland itself, but I think cats are still organizing.

My man DJ RBI has a show on 89.3 every Monday night at 11pm. They just started a slot for local artists that they want to have every month where cats get a chance to get some spins, feedback, interviewed, etc.

We're also trying to get back in touch with our folks in B'More...one of the best places to perform, believe it or not. The Sonar Club has mad shows that cats open up for, for example.

Last edited:
Pimp4days said:
Beat Battle? Shyt Where Is That Taken Place?

That's the only thing...these guys keep changing venues, but they always make it happen and cats like Marco Polo and Illmind have stopped through. I'm gonna try my best to get the info.

COINCIDENTALLY...our most notorious beat battle, the Beat Grinder, is accepting registration NOW. Actually, it's due tommorow. I know, I know, I SUCK. But here ya go. I'm trying to make it today, if not, maybe I'll see y'all there.

We are now accepting entries for The Beat Grinder Championship @ Liv (Bohemian Cavern)!!

Here are the rules:

Registration fee is $5.00 (Cash Only) before April 25th, and $10.
00 (Cash Only)
between April 25th and April 30th.
After April 30th, NO registration will be accepted!!!!
Once again, the absolute DEADLINE is April 30th!!!

Please download the registration form (attached to this e-mail), and fill it out to turn in
with your entry.
Entries are accepted at MAJOR in Georgetown, located at 1426 Wisconsin
Ave. NW, between the hours of 12 p.m. and 7 p.m. seven days a week.
Entries accepted
during business hours only.

To qualify, producers must fill out the registration form, your entry fee, and drop off a beat
cd with 5 beats (1 minute duration each).
If you have entered before, do not submit the
same beat cd you submitted previously.
We will disqualify you for recycling your beat CD,
as we are looking for fresh, new production skills for '08.
Remember, all registration forms
must be filled out, and accompany the entry fee AND the beat CD, if you are missing any
of the 3, you will be automatically disqualified.

The sample for Beat Grinder is here : (http://www. youtube. com/watch?v=78ad762mqok)

Once again it's on.
The Tru Skool "Beat Grinder Championship" is the only beat competition
that matters for the DC area & beyond. Ten producers battle it out for The Beat Grinder crown.

One producer goes home as The Beat Grinder King.
Tru Skool is known for hosting great hip
hop lifestyle events, and "Liv" at Bohemian Cavern is the new venue for '08!

Hosted by: Grap Luva
DJs: Damu the Fudgemonk and Underdog the DJ

Performing:

* Y.U. (Washington D.C.
/the Remainz/ the Humble Monarch)

* Insight (Boston/ Y society/insight. fm / www. myspace. com/insighthiphop

Giveaways all night long from all our great sponsors!

Where: Liv @ Bohemian Cavern
When: May 14th, 2008 / 9PM to 2AM

Supported by: MAJOR, EA Sports/EA Games, and Fusicology of course!

Thanks

I HAVE THE FORM. If you want it, just PM me an email and I'll be glad to forward it to y'all.

Last edited:
from Alexandria VA (Richmond Hwy.) but live in P.G. county now.. I do graphoc design, production, and minor web design.. click the banner to check me out on myspace.. I'm affiliated with a few ppl in the area doin they thang..

I'm down for whatevea.. holla at me! I been tryin to start a real DMV movement (like they got goin in ATL and Texas) and ATL & Texas fux wit us hard.. we got the whole Rap-a-Lot on our team in the DMV area.. we just need to make a lil more noise & stick together.. what you need me to do styl?

Back