Developing a Rap Voice

MattMik

Here's my problem:

I've got the beats, I've got the freestyle skill and the lyrics, but my rapping voice sucks. Like REALLY sucks. It's extremely weak, has no power at all, but I do have rhythm. I really need to develop a voice that is good for recording and rapping, but I don't know where I should start. I am looking for more of an old school sound (Melle Mel, LL Cool J, Kool Moe Dee, Public Enemy, Lords of the Underground), as my lyrics pack a ton of words into one line.

There's no way I'd be able to get anyone else to rap the vocals for my song, as no one I know has an interest in rap or a good voice.

Thanks!
~Matt

That's because I compare it to other rappers, and I don't think anyone would even want to listen to my lyrics.

IMO.......

Your arrangements are kinda.......dated.......

You sound a little choppy, feel me? Like how someone would make fun of someone rappin'.......

The good thing is these are things are easy to overcome with some practice and dedication.

Nothings wrong with your voice, you just sound very amateur on the actual "rapping"........

*IMO*

YOur Voice sucks....lol...

j/k

You need someone to help you write that can actually spit... so you can see how to craft your lyrics to develop a better flow... Voices aren't what makes every MC its what they say.... Jay wasn't known for having a great rap voice but he made it what it was....

PRACTICE...PRACTICE... PRACTICE

Take your craft seriously...

DCross said:
YOur Voice sucks....lol...

j/k

You need someone to help you write that can actually spit... so you can see how to craft your lyrics to develop a better flow... Voices aren't what makes every MC its what they say.... Jay wasn't known for having a great rap voice but he made it what it was....

PRACTICE...PRACTICE... PRACTICE

Take your craft seriously...

*FLOW*

That's what I was looking for, lol.......

Yeah, it's not your voice, it's just your flow.......

Hmmm...okay. I do have some of my own lyrics that I'm thinking about posting. I also have a beat for them.

The only problem with practicing is that my friends will not support me. They look down on rap, as they have only heard the commercialized version of it. They don't understand that hip-hop is a subculture and a way of life. Not just Apple Bottom Jeans or bitchez and hoez.

MattMik said:
Hmmm...okay. I do have some of my own lyrics that I'm thinking about posting. I also have a beat for them.

The only problem with practicing is that my friends will not support me. They look down on rap, as they have only heard the commercialized version of it. They don't understand that hip-hop is a subculture and a way of life. Not just Apple Bottom Jeans or bitchez and hoez.

then find some friends that actually do music

I had a friend that was into the video game industry hard, didn't care about music at all........

Hey man... if you're interested in rapping, all you can do is keep doing it. There are practices to deepen your voice, some of which I used in the past when I was first getting in to rap.

The problem here is not your voice, your voice is fine... it's your confidence. You have the typical bedroom rapper sound, and it's like you don't have the confidence to rap loud enough that someone might hear you in the other room. It's not the easiest thing to overcome, but you will eventually if you build up your belief in yourself.

If you wanna chat on some stuff, hit me up on MSN @ EtherealFlame1200@hotmail.com or just send me an e-mail. I've gone through a similar situation and we may be able to relate and maybe even collaborate.

Peace,

-E.T.

Haha! I do flow like it's 1984!

I gotta practice. I'll try to put a little more bass into my voice.

Anyone know of any particular rappers that I can model my flow after?

Thanks again, everyone. I now don't feel as if I suck that hard.

E.T. Science said:
You have the typical bedroom rapper sound, and it's like you don't have the confidence to rap loud enough that someone might hear you in the other room.

That is completely true. 100%.

Thanks! I'm gonna practice a bit more, and if I have any trouble, I'll be sure to contact you.

Last edited:
lol... yall goin hard on dude...
You gotta listen to the greats, pac, big, big daddy kane, snoop, pun..etc... see how they use their voices as instruments... you gotta ride the beat... intergrate your voice into the music and become a part of the song... build your confidence, and dont worry about your friends...
When I 1st started makin beats people laughed but you use the negativity as fuel and GO Hard!!!

Back