Depressed about the state of hip-hop.

• Thread starter Quiet Storm 2.0
  • Start date
Q

Quiet Storm 2.0

I look at Billboard, nothing there but the usual suspects, nicki minaj, rae srummerd, whatever the fuk that means...chris brown, hes alright. its the regular people but the songs and the topics of the songs are just lame. Even hip-hop dx been lame lately. Ive been listening to rock....**** hip-hop.

How old are you and how long have you been into Hip Hop? Take into account that Hip Hop has long been "pop" music albeit with different artistic perspectives outside of whom the "mainstream" has deemed "non-threatening." You have to remember that what appeals to the "charts" is not solely due to it being what sells but also to the thought of the "masses" accepting what is "hot" according to non-personable radio personalities who play what is nationally dictated to them. Because I am old enough to say that there hasn't been a year where the artistic and commercial status of Hip Hop has gone undiscussed and the era I'm an adult in in no different. I don't pretend that Hip Hop isn't depressing because in many cases it is in relation to subject matter but if you dig history it must be said that Hip Hop was never meant to be music for expressing sympathy although as all music genres change simultaneously for better and worse, Hip Hop in its current incarnation should emphasize an individual and collective disdain for the art form's en masse gentrification in spite of the corporatized subject matter many artists regurgitate though I'm not naive to think that the powers that be would behave any different than they have and continue to do.

Last edited:
HipHop is right where it should be.....underground. Actually I believe it was KRS-ONE who said, "rap is what you do, HIPHOP is how you live."

I prefer hybrid genres tbh. Although I do like nikki's massive attack and ittybitty piggy.
Pretty much goes for anything lol pure country or traditional rock with no bachata inside eh...
Although pure hiphop still sounds ok to me for some reason, maybe it's because it's primarily sample based and the samples are usually jazz/soul.

Im 31, and yeah ive probably made a thread like this.... .

Depressed? LMFAO! Who gets depressed about music? Just go get on some girls in the club. Whatever they shake they booty to is what you should be playing in the whip.

Depressed? LMFAO! Who gets depressed about music? Just go get on some girls in the club. Whatever they shake they booty to is what you should be playing in the whip.

I'm 27 with a kid. Like Chris Rock said, you cant be the old geezer in the club(lol). I agree with you though about not being critical of the music in clubs though. People want to dance and have fun not be reminded of the harsh realities of life. HOWEVER when you leave that club and are playing songs in the whip, no one wants to hear that commercial garbage.

I'm 27 with a kid. Like Chris Rock said, you cant be the old geezer in the club(lol). I agree with you though about not being critical of the music in clubs though. People want to dance and have fun not be reminded of the harsh realities of life. HOWEVER when you leave that club and are playing songs in the whip, no one wants to hear that commercial garbage.

Just put on the Frozen Soundtrack. Kids love that ish!

Back