De La Soul: Signing To A Major Label Is Slavery

Before y'all new cats who are too lazy to do y'alls Hip Hop history homework say something sideways, De La Soul always felt how they feel about labels and had the balls to openly critique them in their work unlike today's rappers who are cowards.

Last edited:
Major labels are bad for most acts!

This is because most acts cannot sell enough records to make profit for the label. Record deals are for people with aspirations to sell a lot of records. Those that are not interested in selling a lot of records but still want careers in music have many better options. Distribution and promotion deals work wonders for artists with a growing fan base that regularly release music and tour.

But enough complaining about record deals. There are easier ways make music and better ways to make money.

I don't believe Dave when he said that De La lowered the goal to seem less greedy. I think another reason behind it was the fact that if they didn't reach the higher goal, and missed out by say $5,000, they would have had to refund the funding they raised. I don't believe they are that nice and genuine... (And I'm a fan)

However, I do believe them when they say it's not about pocketing money.

Related note:

The beauty of crowd funding through the likes of Kickstarter is that the well known brands can make the required money for a new product, based off the consumers perception of their brand.

In other words, De La has made so much money through this funding process because people have based their opinion on the new albums value off of the back of their other older albums. SO, if you are consistently good as an artist putting out music, Kickstarter is a great way for you to fund your next albums if people know they can rely on you to give them something good in return.

Remember: The value of the new album is based off of the value of the old ones.

Just another reason for you to focus on branding, instead of writing it off like it's all bull****.

Cheers,
Jordan

Last edited:
Major labels are bad for most acts!

This is because most acts cannot sell enough records to make profit for the label. Record deals are for people with aspirations to sell a lot of records. Those that are not interested in selling a lot of records but still want careers in music have many better options. Distribution and promotion deals work wonders for artists with a growing fan base that regularly release music and tour.

But enough complaining about record deals. There are easier ways make music and better ways to make money.

Agree with this. People should know that we live in a consumeristic world, which means that its all about the money. They don't care about talent, quality, substance and all that if it doesn't sell. Now I still believe that IF you could make some great quality art with your music, and still convice people that it can sell, I think you will be more priviliged and better positioned in the industry.

Back