David Geffen: 'I'd Kill Myself' Rather Than Get Into Music Business Today

Kendall143

On the Music Industry Then

Though the story does not make it into his film, he revealed that he was once asked by Art Garfunkel if he thought Garfunkel should drop out of architecture school to pursue a career in music. "I told him to stay in school," admitted Geffen, who said there were plenty of acts that passed on working with Geffen, too, including REM, which signed with Warner Bros. at the time. "It's not about the ones that say no; it's about the ones that say yes," said Geffen. "Your life isn't made up of people who aren't in it." He acknowledged that he had set out to make a career in the movie business but was told early on that he'd have better luck with musicians as a young agent because they, too, were young.

On the Music Industry Now

Asked his thoughts about the opportunities and challenges of entering the music business as a producer or executive today, he deadpanned: "I'd kill myself." And it's no easier to break in as an artist now, he notes, attributing the difficulties to the absence of Top 40 radio and an outlet like MTV to air music videos on a loop. "You need repetition," he said of what he describes as a crucial element of discovery. "You need to be able to hear things a lot."

Read more at http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indu...her-than-1007644152.story#AZQbU2DJhXIhbB7q.99

Last edited:
Kendall143;49445327 [B said:
On the Music Industry Now[/B]

Asked his thoughts about the opportunities and challenges of entering the music business as a producer or executive today, he deadpanned: "I'd kill myself." And it's no easier to break in as an artist now, he notes, attributing the difficulties to the absence of Top 40 radio and an outlet like MTV to air music videos on a loop. "You need repetition," he said of what he describes as a crucial element of discovery. "You need to be able to hear things a lot."

Read more at David Geffen: 'I'd Kill Myself' Rather Than Get Into Music Business Today | Billboard.biz

This is VITAL. My business has a way to provide that repetition WITHOUT radio. Not only that, we can provide something that radio CAN'T provide...AN EMOTIONAL CONNECTION TO THE MUSIC AND THE ARTIST.

Last edited:
There are quite a few execs that need to 'kill themselves' with the foulness going on now in 2012

I wonder if the new execs in 5-10 years will do the same??

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

If I were an exec, I would receive daily death threats.

I would have an all-gay roster openly singing about homosexual love and lust. All videos would feature intimate gay scenes.

Then I would kill myself.

I would have an all-gay roster openly singing about homosexual love and lust. All videos would feature intimate gay scenes.

If you did that you would receive marriage proposals instead of the death threats in this entertainment biz lol...

That would cause more controversy than NWA and Death Row COMBINED.

Speaking of gay artists, If I were in a position to, I would have signed LAWRENCE from Real Housewives Of Atlanta in a HEARTBEAT. That dude had star quality written all over him.

Get him the right songs, and push him toward the LGBT community (and the the rave/dance scene) and CLEAN UP.

LGBT community comes out to support their own. I'd write him some amazing songs, change a few pronouns around, put that nigga in some heels, and let the checks come rolling in.

That would cause more controversy than NWA and Death Row COMBINED.

Speaking of gay artists, If I were in a position to, I would have signed LAWRENCE from Real Housewives Of Atlanta in a HEARTBEAT. That dude had star quality written all over him.

Get him the right songs, and push him toward the LGBT community (and the the rave/dance scene) and CLEAN UP.

LGBT community comes out to support their own. I'd write him some amazing songs, change a few pronouns around, put that nigga in some heels, and let the checks come rolling in.

YES!

This gay movement will be the next big pop culture trend.

Gangster rap is over. The gay wave is going to bring major moolah to the people brave enough to conquer it.

There are quite a few execs that need to 'kill themselves' with the foulness going on now in 2012

please expand on this

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

YES!

This gay movement will be the next big pop culture trend.

Gangster rap is over. The gay wave is going to bring major moolah to the people brave enough to conquer it.

you are sick man

you are sick man

Not at all.

American culture openly seeks immorality. When was the last wholesome show or album with major success? People love salacious and controversial entertainment.

The gay movement needs to go harder and put their agenda in the homes of the American public for all to see. The money to be mae from the huge swath of homoerotic entertainment is huge. It just needs to be done in an entertaining fashion.

I am still surprised that gay artists aren't making huge moves on Youtube yet. That site has the potential to bring homosexual/bisexual/transgender culture from the underground into the mainstream. The movement has had a few pushes here and there. But the tidal wave has not hit the shores yet. There needs to be a gay tsunami like there was a gangster rap tsunami.

I would definitely support any gay entertainment that had actual entertainment value. The money is too big to care about morality. I supported gangster rap for over 15 years now. My time to be relevant as a music consumer is ending. The younger generation needs to get assimilated to the gay movement and use its buying power and pop culture knowledge to push the movement into everyday life.

SMH at people hating on all that untapped cash.

The younger generation needs to get assimilated to the gay movement and use its buying power and pop culture knowledge to push the movement into everyday life.

SMH at people hating on all that untapped cash.

SMH @ U
Cash will never overrule my morals. I have had money offered and passed. That is what is wrong with you people,the dollar has you by the balls and you will sell your soul for it.

I don't want my kids being assimilated to this filth.

Last edited:
SMH @ U
Cash will never overrule my morals. I have had money offered and passed. That is what is wrong with you people,the dollar has you by the balls and you will sell your soul for it.

You are a coward and a fool. Good luck with that morality thing. I'll be flying over your shantytown and brainwashing your future grandkids with my wicked ways.

The scoffer, the worst form of fool, is not only to be avoided, but is to be driven away. -Proverbs 22:10

This life is temporary. Time to start choosing sides. I am standing with CHRIST on this one. Yea, the so-called imaginary guy everybody hates nowadays. I'm rolling with him. You can choose to get how u live.

Last edited:
Kendall143:49445546 said:

alot of parents said those exact same words about elvis. these days, they could play an elvis performance on abc family and you wouldn't think twice about letting your preteen daughter watch him pelvic thrust all over the stage. hell, elvis is more tame than most music videos that have come out in the last 25 - 30 years, but during his time, parents were outraged, and rock n roll was "the devil's music" and everybody was going to hell.

all of this gay sh*t seems like a big deal now, but 20 years down the line, it will just be a part of everyday life, like it or not. that's how everything is. premarital sex used to be a big deal. birth control used to be a big deal. are they still now?

funny thing is, if some gay sh*t like Desire Inspires was talking about really were to pop off, you not wanting your kids to have anything to do with it is only gonna give it more appeal, and that will be the exact thing that draws them to it even more. it's cat string theory. everyone's watched or listened to the sh*t their parents didn't want them to see/hear before.

The scoffer, the worst form of fool, is not only to be avoided, but is to be driven away. -Proverbs 22:10

This is life is temporary. Time to start choosing sides. I am standing with CHRIST on this one. Yea, the so-called imaginary guy everybody hates nowadays. I'm rolling with him. You can choose to get how u live.
I hear u fam! Stick with what u know and what's been good to your family. I don't get these cats its like they have something to prove by entering into arguments trying to assert man's failed logic, when faith is not about logic, it all about belief. You either believe or you don't. I believe and because of my beliefs I can say go about yo business i wish u peace to the nonbeliever.

Back