Is Datpiff.com Legal?

mixtapes can be a touchy subject, and I dont know if datpiff is legal, but i know i downoad mixtapes from torrent sites.

Dunno if its legal but those mixtapes will be thankful for it cuz it gives them so much promotion, hella people browse through that site. Dont the record label contact them anyway? I contacted the site to get my mixtape on there...

SP

No offense but just in general ...

Start rant :

I'm sick of people worried and scared if mixtapes are legal or not ... 1st the DJ Drama situation was just a scare. Him or Cannon haven't been charged with anything. 2nd The feds aren't gonna bust down your door because you downloaded a mixtape from a website or you sell a mixtape (If that was the case everybody would be getting hit left and right not just drama & cannon, what about clue, kay slay, green lantern, etc. ?). It was a scare people and also they assumed they were gonna go in and find bootlegg albums and drugs as well and they were COMPLETLY WRONG and probly pissed off that they didn't find that. I'm up on the mixtape scene 24/7 people and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. 3rd dont think the feds are blind and can overlook sites like that. It is known that datpiff.com exists and it's not getting shutdown (Just like it's known about ll the sites where you can get cracked software in plain sight). I know tons of people who use datpiff.com daily to download or just stream mixtapes from normal people to industry people. Those downloads/listen numbers get payed attention to by a few a&rs as well if some of you didnt know (Which is another topic in itself).

End Rant

Mixtapes are a grey area with lupoles ... If your using a majority of album tracks on a tape then your gonna get hit for BOOTLEGGING (Other than singles) ... Thats what some people are getting hit for. But as you all know mixtapes feature a majority of tracks that are not on albums that are done just for the mixtapes and thats fine as the record labels don't own any of those songs ... BOTTOM LINE they ain't stop mixtapes or making them illegal. You cant tell someone its illegal to put music they make (Yes they as in the artists that record tracks for the djs as well as host the tapes and do drops) on cd and release it as a mixtape.

Last edited:
mixtapes are illegal. period. when you sell a cd full of music from artists that are legally bound to work for another company that owns any subsequent copyrighted tracks, then you need to get their permission. Unless an artist does a freestyle over another beat, which is still technically bootlegging. a bad trend i'm seeing is remixes coming out before i hear the actual single from the actual artist, that sh*t is confusing to the consumer dog.

they are essential, however, to hip hop and are a great marketing tool. but making money off of artist's music (a lot of which hasn't been released yet) is what a successful dj does in this day and age, don't get me wrong, i still pursue mixtapes to hear new beats, but i know that holding all these songs are wrong when you're substituting artist's albums for dj's mixtapes. the artist is hurt. but the mc's themselves will never complain, it's all good - great promotion, exposure. is where we are right now with the RIAA because the industry is and always be a racket, a money making institution. And they weren't seeing any money off this booming mixtape culture. So now you're seeing "the official mixtape" from jeezy and whatnot as basically controlling how the music gets out there from def jam down.

btw i love a good mixtape

datpiff.com in theory is only fair b/c the dj's in essence do the same thing when they play and distribute artist's track. It's a cool way of streaming new sh*t without trying to find it in the streets, i'm in reno and they're is no mixtape spot here.

i'm done ranting

Last edited by a moderator:
beatz by greed said:
mixtapes are illegal. period.
- So if me and my artist go in and make a mixtape all
original productions and lyrics it's illegal ?

- If me and Jeezy go in the studio and bang out a mixtape with all
original production and lyrics and none of the track are tracks from his
albums and he even does drops for the tape ... It's illegal ? Even though
he gives full permission ?

Mixtapes are not all illegal ... It's a grey area, it depends on exactly
what yo are doing for it to be considered illegal. With the BS talk about
needing to have permission to use certain songs on tapes (In example
of singles and album cuts) but if it's a track thats not on an album or
any official release please explain to me how it's illegal ? Mixtape tracks
are like releasing something to public domain. I know more than enough
DJ's who pump mixtapes out on a regular basis to know this big and
small.

It's a grey area ...

that's funny!

here's our last sh*t

http://www.datpiff.com/Nas-Phil-Collins-PhillMatic-mid1680.html#

PhillMatic-mid1680.jpg

djba$$ay2k5 said:
mixtapes aren't 100% illegal, its the bad business practices that are copuled with them

i agree, but nobody's stopping these wack a$$ pausetape dj's from dropping 2 cd's a week. I'm glad we got a little breathing room now

beatz by greed said:
that's funny!
i agree, but nobody's stopping these wack a$$ pausetape dj's from dropping 2 cd's a week. I'm glad we got a little breathing room now

lmfao thats definite, one of my homie's aint even been in the game 4 yrs now but he got 9 mixtapes and 5 variations of it lol so thats 14 mixtapes

in this scenario I could give a rats ass if dat piff is legal or not, cuz the mixtape scene is keepin hip hop alive and pumpin out artist you dont hear on the commercial level so props to datpiff.......1

i don't think we'll see the justos again after last year....i wish chris would've won that justo, he's a super nice and talented dude, a real class act who's not in it for the money, just the music and the creativity, which is awesome

me and chris are working on who vs wu, he started making beats so we both are contributing to this one....he caught on FAST to reason so we bout to drop some sh*t

Reading some dumb statements here. Lets clear it up, mixtapes are not illegal WHEN you are NOT SELLING the material. That is why mixtapes say FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY. Datpiff.com is a website based on promotion, you can upload your promotional mixtape for FREE, you can download for FREE, and listen for FREE. Now you have cases of people hustling and selling mixtapes, with copyrighted material, which is illegal. So when the mixtape is strictly for promotion, NO SELLING, no legal actions will be taken.

^^^ exactly

idk wtf yall are talkin about........people have to post the mixtape on datpiff in order for it to be on there

unless someone else steals it and posts the songs thats datpiffs problem

Last edited:
AngP the FUTURE said:
Reading some dumb statements here. Lets clear it up, mixtapes are not illegal WHEN you are NOT SELLING the material. That is why mixtapes say FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY. Datpiff.com is a website based on promotion, you can upload your promotional mixtape for FREE, you can download for FREE, and listen for FREE. Now you have cases of people hustling and selling mixtapes, with copyrighted material, which is illegal. So when the mixtape is strictly for promotion, NO SELLING, no legal actions will be taken.

You really just dug up a year old post for this ??? ... Now thats dumb lol

^^^lol. I'm glad they're changing the layout for their site. It's like you needed a f*ckin manual to know how to navigate their old site.

Somebody said that "most" all mixtapes are illegal because people don't get the samples cleared and they use beats that have been released by other artists.

They said the labels don't care because they see it as promotion for the real product... the official release by that artist. They said the labels don't want people to forget about artists so they don't knock artists for doing mixtapes.

If they were such taboo, then freestyles on TV over beats with samples or that belong to other artists would be in the same boat...
Hell, people wouldn't be able to rap over beats at nightclubs either then.

I've never heard of the site trying to be shut down...

It's crazy how you can ALLLLLL of the new songs by downloading some DJ's "mixtape" though. I always feel like a fool after I buy a song from iTunes and then download a mixtape and the song is on it too, lol.

but with that said...

LONG LIVE MIXTAPES!

Back