could a white rapper ever reach a status like tupac ?

To answer this question FIRST you have to understand what made Pac so great. Now unless you came up in the era when Pac was at his peak its going to be a little harder to accept and appreciate his impact as a cultural phenom.

What made Pac so great was his ability to relate to our struggles and our passions through his music. No matter how big Pac got, you always felt like a part of him was connected with you. Most of the things that he spoke about, even if you never experienced it, you could still understand and relate to it.

For that reason Pac was almost considered to be a savior of sorts. He spoke to and for the people. He gave the streets a political voice, and a powerful voice. He touched on subjects that a lot of rappers at the time didn't know how to approach. In fact if it wasn't for Pac, half the major commercial hip hop artists you hear probably wouldn't exist. There probably would be no 50 cent, no JaRule or any "commercial rapper" that appeals to the streets. There wouldn't be a "How to Love" or a "Lollipop" or a "Cleaning out my Closet" or many of these type of personal songs. A lot of these songs and artists owe their existence to Tupac because he literally wrote the blueprint for how to do these type of songs but yet still maintain connection with the streets.

Prior to Pac, most (but not all) hip hop artists that had singing on the hook were considered soft. Most (but not all) hip hop artists that rapped about women or feening for a woman were considered soft. Most (but not all) rappers that spoke about their deeper feelings were considered soft. You either had to be hard or you had to be soft but you couldn't be both. Pac showed you how to do both and still keep your edge.

From that standpoint he is considered a pioneer. The closest white rapper to that status right now is Eminem. While I don't think Eminem is or will ever be the cultural phenom that Pac was, he was definitely the bigger star when comparing the peak of their careers. That said, Eminem's impact was made in other ways.

So to ask will there ever be a white rapper like Pac is to ask will there ever be white rapper who can be the cultural phenom and a pioneer that Pac was. Will there ever be a white rapper who's literacy and work is a college course? Will there ever be a white rapper who influence through music impacts lives politically and culturally. Based on those merits, its hard to say, but the closest you have to that person right now is Eminem... who ironically was influenced by Tupac.

Based on those merits, its hard to say, but the closest you have to that person right now is Eminem... who ironically was influenced by Tupac.

Closest thing and he is more of a comedian who is hard to take serious by a lot of people.

[/end of 2Pac/Eminem comparison]

Last edited:
In terms of inspiration (early)Eminen = Tupac

Difference is
Tupac died and now enjoys Martyrdom
Eminem didn't and now suffers Mediocrity

Safe to say that it is highly unlikely anyone after them will have the same appeal and impact they have/had.. Notice i didn't say NEVER though.

If the roles were reversed the outcome would be the same.-Except Rap enjoyed a higher level of exposure cause Eminem made white people enjoy rap.. Tupac Alienated them..

Does anyone doubt that if the roles reversed that Tupac would have softened his message.. ermmmm no ****ing doubt

One of my favourite Jay-z lines 'Die and be a hero or live to see yourself become a villan'

Last edited:
yall should have rephrased the question to Can a white rapper reach the same status as tupac to black people. Then with that answer you get a no. But truthfully I gotta say most white dudes under the age 30 are heavily influenced by eminem.

Eminem has reached Tupac status. the only reason tupac is so "legendary" is cuz hes dead. if tupac was still alive, hed probably be like Jay z is now.

Actually Pac was already an icon BEFORE he died. Its just that he lived so fast that you didn't get a chance to actually appreciate and realize what he did until AFTER he died. His death didn't help him reach legendary status, the body of work he did while he was alive is what helped him reach that status.

Jay Z just hasn't had the political and social impact with his music that Tupac had. On the other hand, Jay Z has had more commercial success than Pac, but thats due primarily to longevity. I'm not convinced many rappers including Pac would have or could remain relevant as a rapper while in their 40s. That's quite impressive.

Ever heard of thus guy named EMINEM???

PPRREEEEACCHHHHHH

preach.jpg

Eminem has reached Tupac status. the only reason tupac is so "legendary" is cuz hes dead. if tupac was still alive, hed probably be like Jay z is now.
People were saying 2pac was an icon while he was alive also. Its not like he died and all of a sudden became the greatest ever. When he died the debate was who is the best rapper of all time him or biggie. There were others like Rakim in the discussion but for the most part people only talked about him and big. That aspect has not changed.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

Actually Pac was already an icon BEFORE he died. Its just that he lived so fast that you didn't get a chance to actually appreciate and realize what he did until AFTER he died. His death didn't help him reach legendary status, the body of work he did while he was alive is what helped him reach that status.

Jay Z just hasn't had the political and social impact with his music that Tupac had. On the other hand, Jay Z has had more commercial success than Pac, but thats due primarily to longevity. I'm not convinced many rappers including Pac would have or could remain relevant as a rapper while in their 40s. That's quite impressive.

exactly something else to keep in mind 2pac was only in the game for 6 years before dying and only saw his real success the last 4 of them after Strictly for my niggas. Jay Z didn't see real consistent success until after 5-6 years when the blueprint came out. Jay Z had hits before that like Big Pimpin, Give It To Me, Hardknock life sure but nobody put him that class with 2pac and Biggie until after the Blueprint.

x2_a961ac0.jpg

Shit man.....2Pac had more to say in just one song than people say in their whole career. Multidimensional.

Question? How do women feel about Eminem? No...........how do they really feel? Besides the "he's cute............he is the greatest rapper.......I just love Eminem".............what is it about Eminem that would make them feel like Pac makes women feel?

Last edited:
To reach a high status as a rapper I don't think you should be concerned what skin colour you are. Just be true to who you really are.

I don't think anyone is making the thread about skin color per se. In fact the thread actually asks a very valid question. Pac is considered the epitome of commercial, cultural and social success as a rapper. This is the reason why most rappers who grew up on him aspire to emulate what Pac has done. So its only fair to ask not just can white person achieve that same success, but can another rapper period accomplish what Tupac did.

Personally I say no... at least not in the ways that Tupac did so. That's like asking will there be another Michael Jackson or another Prince etc. Artists of that caliber probably come around once or twice a decade (if that) in each genre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back