Colin wolfe- dr. Dre's ghost producer

Props for sharing this as it's always interesting to know who did what on albums and songs as the current generation of music non-listeners who only hear background noise will never know liner notes.

Last edited:
I love how he references the people that inspired him and made him create the G-funk like Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix. Kids nowadays (and unfortunately some adults) will call you a lame if you say you listen to anything other than Young Money or trap music.

Musicians love Music - plain and simple. It doesn't matter if it's Drake or Soundgarden or Earth Wind and Fire or Willie Nelson - a great song cuts through all the superficial. These producers coming up nowadays only know one style and that's what's on Hot 97 and their beats show it.

Great share @Benji and great point on the liner notes comment @Boombapdame

He wasn't a ghost producer or even a producer. He was a session musician.

There are so many great session musicians that played on so many hit records with no royalties or fame to speak of other than recollections and validation from the artists themselves. But it is no big deal.

Many of these guys last in the industry behind the scenes long after most of the guys in the limelight fade away.

Colin Wolfe ALWAYS got credited for his contributions to Dre's productions. ALWAYS. He was never a "ghost" anything. If people would just read credits. Damn. smh

Colin Wolfe ALWAYS got credited for his contributions to Dre's productions. ALWAYS. He was never a "ghost" anything. If people would just read credits. Damn. smh

He said in the interview he played on a few songs and didn't get credit. I actually got the article from a friend & cut and paste his title"ghost producer" If you read my initial thread, you'll see where I referred to him as a hired musician.

Last edited:

Kids nowadays have no idea what credits are. Unless it's in the song title or producer tag it doesn't exist to them smh.

Last edited:
Seems like only 10% include a digital booklet in there projects, and for the rest u got to do a net search for credits. I don't know why all artists don't include a booklet. I mean is it so expensive to include a pdf with credits into your project?

How can they if there's no physical cd's anymore? Just an mp3 on iTunes.

Physical CDs do exist. And there are things called the Internet and Research. Yes, I know that requires Effort, but most people don't even care or are lazy.

"Kanye makes all of his own rhymes and beats!!!!"

Physical CDs do exist. And there are things called the Internet and Research. Yes, I know that requires Effort, but most people don't even care or are lazy.

"Kanye makes all of his own rhymes and beats!!!!"

Outside of being involved in the industry why would someone look it up? As a kid I never checked the booklet for the details. I didn't do that until I was older and started making music myself.

This isn't news to me. I've know about Colin Wolfe (and the rest of the cast of characters putting together those early Dr. Dre records) forever.

Then again, I would memorize the credits of every single record/tape/CD that I bought back in the late 80's, early 90's, and on and on and on.

Outside of being involved in the industry why would someone look it up? As a kid I never checked the booklet for the details. I didn't do that until I was older and started making music myself.

Everyone's different.

I began playing piano when I was 8 years old and was always interested in WHO really made the music besides the singers/rappers. I was always interested in the producers, writers, musicians.

I even watch movie credits to see who the Producers are, Script Writers, Casting Agents, Music Supervisor, Photographers...that's just me and also who many of my friends are. My girlfriend even loves to point out to me when a movie is being casted by Mary Vernieu because chances are it's going to be a good movie regardless of how the trailer looks.

Some of the best conversations I have with strangers start off with us being impressed with each other's knowledge of Creators. There are a ton of us out here including my 14 year old nephew who can tell you crazy liner note details.

Last edited:
Then again, I would memorize the credits of every single record/tape/CD that I bought back in the late 80's, early 90's, and on and on and on.

Same here and I always have to SMH when I talk to people who don't, but they want to argue who did what. Creators respect other Creators.

Everyone's different.

I began playing piano when I was 8 years old and was always interested in WHO really made the music besides the singers/rappers. I was always interested in the producers, writers, musicians.

I even watch movie credits to see who the Producers are, Script Writers, Casting Agents, Music Supervisor, Photographers...that's just me and also who many of my friends are. My girlfriend even loves to point out to me when a movie is being casted by Mary Vernieu because chances are it's going to be a good movie regardless of how the trailer looks.

Some of the best conversations I have with strangers start off with us being impressed with each other's knowledge of Creators. There are a ton of us out here including my 14 year old nephew who can tell you crazy liner note details.

Oddity of the bunch. I never cared until I got involved with music and started to want to learn what goes on behind the scenes and in the studios. But to the average fan it's not important who Chris Lord Alge is or who the blues brothers were. You fall into the category with most of us on here. we care about the who and the how the music was made. Most fans care only about the final product. Nothing wrong with either

But on the original article it's always fun hearing the personal stories. notes and credits only give you names. When the person speaks you get the whole story with all the jokes n what not. Then you find out certain songs may have been made by accident etc...

Same here and I always have to SMH when I talk to people who don't, but they want to argue who did what. Creators respect other Creators.

I don't SMH at them. Most teenage boys were nerdy about sports stats. I was nerdy about music stats. Who was on what label, who was producing what label, who was the Producer and the A&R on what records/albums...I was even into what PUBLISHING companies were listed in the credits.

I remember when DJ Quik's album dropped, and I was like "what is this PROFILE logo, and why is it on all of my favorite albums?" That's how I started learning about labels and distribution, etc.

Stevie Wonder's albums in the 80's first piqued my interest in PUBLISHING. Every Stevie Wonder song/record would have JOBETE PUBLISHING on it.

That was my first lesson in Music Publishing. #MindBlown

But I say all that to say, not everybody is passionate about the nerdy side of the business. Doesn't take anything away from their creative passions.

Oddity of the bunch. I never cared until I got involved with music and started to want to learn what goes on behind the scenes and in the studios. But to the average fan it's not important who Chris Lord Alge is or who the blues brothers were. You fall into the category with most of us on here. we care about the who and the how the music was made. Most fans care only about the final product. Nothing wrong with either

You're right - nothing wrong with either. People that delve into liner notes are more like the engineers while those that don't are usually the beta testers. Both serve a purpose. But, I SMH when the beta testers want to tell the engineers who built what in the system. (Yeah I'm an IT guy)

I don't SMH at them. Most teenage boys were nerdy about sports stats. I was nerdy about music stats. Who was on what label, who was producing what label, who was the Producer and the A&R on what records/albums...I was even into what PUBLISHING companies were listed in the credits.

I remember when DJ Quik's album dropped, and I was like "what is this PROFILE logo, and why is it on all of my favorite albums?" That's how I started learning about labels and distribution, etc.

Stevie Wonder's albums in the 80's first piqued my interest in PUBLISHING. Every Stevie Wonder song/record would have JOBETE PUBLISHING on it.

That was my first lesson in Music Publishing. #MindBlown

But I say all that to say, not everybody is passionate about the nerdy side of the business. Doesn't take anything away from their creative passions.

I already know you and I could have a few beers and talk music history.

Back