Clever Word Play, Double Meanings...on a tracks

F

Flow_Siete25

What are some songs that the MC or Rapper have used some clever word play or have wrote the song with a double meaning ...or better said, u hear the track, think he talking bout something...but on the reals he meaning some other 'ish....

Example: 2Pac - Me and My Girlfriend

To an average rap fanatic this song is talking bout a girl that pac is in love with or whatever....but when u decypher ( is this how u spell this, pardon my english ) the song...he talking bout a gun.....

"...I love finger ****ing you..." ( putting his finger on the trigger hole )

"...when u bust and make a nigga heart beat stop..." ( bullets comes out and kills a nigga )

"...17 like Brandy "you just wanna be down"..." ( 17 bullets in the clips, that are always down to bust and kill someone )

those are some clever lines that will make you think one thing but on the real is another....when I first heard the song, back when MaKaVeLi dropped... I was like...damn this is a crazy song to dedicate to a down ass *****...but a few month after...listening to the track while getting blasted....**** hit me....I was like "Wow...this nigga had me"....I was like damn son...this nigga pac is on some other ****.....

Now as the years have gone by...I have noticed the scarcity of tracks like this....as we all real hiphopper know, hiphop has extremely dumbed the fukc out....there is no more crazy use of words...no more lyrical content...no more tracks that will make you go " damnnn".....

Another example of clever word play... Jay-Z - Where I'm From .... This nigga Jay took it somewhere else on this...lines that weren't all that, compare to the standards that ppl have come to know him for...but where still crazy...

"..I'm from where beef is ineatable ( correct me)/ summertime unforgetable/booz is in abundance/buy a half price sweater new..." ... This is ****ing crazy....

"...your words was evrything, so everything u said u do/you did it....COULDN'T TALK ABOUT IT IF U AINT LIVE IT... ".....like how ****ing true is that...just sick how he used word play in this track....

"..from where niggas, pulled they cars and argued all day bout....who's the best MC...Biggie JayZ and Nas..."

Name some other tracks like these....that had clever word play and double meanings...lets show this new teeny boppers generation what they must on back when rap was real...when HipHop was an actual culture and not a "this is what's popping, I wanna be down" type ****....

Another one Atmosphere " the woman with the tattoed hand" .....crazy double meaning and word play...

My personal favorite is biggie's line from "Warning" when he says .."Gonna be alot of slow singin' and flower bringin' if my burglar alarm starts ringin'". That ish was genius... Another favorite is from Jay-z's "Where I'm from" when he says "Where we call the cops the A Team cause they hop outta vans and spray things/and life expectancy so low we making out wills at eighteen." Classic.

yeah man...JAY killed it on that track....thats my favorite Jay-Z track ever...

"...i'm a block away from hell, not enough shots away from straight shells
an ounce away from a triple beam still using a hand-held weight scale
your laughing, you know the place well
where the liqour store's and the base well
and government, **** government, niggas polotic themselves..."

the hungry JAY was the best...never liked him after he turned into that "flashy, pop appeal, bling like the neptunes sound, conglomerate, comercial nigga wit a white soul"

anyways...what are some othe example

I would say that the birth of this was Spice 1's song about the alcohol. I can't remember the name but that was the birth.

Kanye did a neat little song called "Home" were it seemed like he was talking about a girl, but was really talking about Chicago.

It's pretty obvious though.

I N.E.R.D.'s - Run to the sun you think pharrell is talkin about a girl but hes actually talking about his grandmother who was ill with Lukemia

ATG said:
Kanye did a neat little song called "Home" were it seemed like he was talking about a girl, but was really talking about Chicago.

It's pretty obvious though.

he got the idea from common. common made a song called "i use to love her" where you think hes talking about a girl or past girl freind but hes talking about how hiphop was goin throw changes and evoling into something he didnt like but he still loved the roots of it.

When most MC's would say somehthing like "My ice keeps me chilled or my bling will blind you" , Jay-Z said "This necklace is the reason all of my dates [have]been blind dates" - '03 Bonnie & Clyde. That was slick.

Also LL's "Pink Cookies in a Plastic Bag"

Yeah this is all tight and well...the whole "double meaning thing"...like where you think the MC is talking about one thing but it's another...much like a personification (like common's "i used to love her"). but you should really check out heads that are more spoken word like...i mean aesop rock's stuff is FULL of word play...of all sorts...double meanings...personifications...sick alliteration...

also check out local heads...my boy that just rapped over my track said "MC's are like overseers with their whips and chains"
literally = they are like slave masters you know like whips and leg chains...
double meaning = whips are cars (obviously) and chains (chains...jewelry)

theres a lot of hot local stuff just keep your eye peeled.

"b!tch, u think im here cause im fantastic.
but in truth, im here because my mom hid in the basement while bombs were blasting.
U think ur government is purfect, but u aint asking
what **** has happened
(but ur thinking) dam, we put boots in their asses"

im from iran. This about the iraq/iran war where america supported iraq. I heared a country song(red, white, and blue) and it pissed me of. Yea, my mom, dad, and bro had to be in the basement so no light could warn of the airplanes that there is people there.

Hey guys,

My favorit was JAY-Z on Resonable Doubt
track 12. Casmire Thoughts

That whole song is crazy he rips it from the begining to end.

"I call these cats Reynold's 'cause they plastic (w)rap"

-Talib Kweli

A few different way you can look at that.

Juxtapose said:
also check out local heads...my boy that just rapped over my track said "MC's are like overseers with their whips and chains"
literally = they are like slave masters you know like whips and leg chains...
double meaning = whips are cars (obviously) and chains (chains...jewelry)

theres a lot of hot local stuff just keep your eye peeled.
Well… that line was TAKEN from somebody. I forgot which rapper, but I will NOT forget that LINE.

Dude is being sneaky, you better WATCH him. I can’t believe he tried to get that one past you.

whatever homie...i'll "watch" him once you give me a reference...until then it was probably just a similar line...

i like in "threats" where jay-z says

"when the gun is tucked, untuck, nigga you die/ its like nunchucks held by the Jet L I"

and in encore when he says

"as fate would have its, Jay's status appears to be at a all time high/ perfect time to say goodbye, when i come back like jordan wearin the 45/ its not to play games with you, its to aim at you prolly mane you/ if i owe you im blowin you to smitherines, cocksucker take one for your team"

Juxtapose said:
whatever homie...i'll "watch" him once you give me a reference...until then it was probably just a similar line...
I told you once, and I won't tell you again. You'll find out soon enough and then you will be like Paper Chaser told me.

I'm use to people not taking my advice and falling victim.
I got a home boy sitting in the county jail on a $25k bond. I bet he is saying damn I should’ve listened.

There are two different kinds of people in this world.
1. The people that like to learn from their mistakes.
2. The people that like to learn from other people’s mistakes.
I’m the latter.

IMO one of my fav old skool tracks like that is Common "I use to love her" that is a straight up classic track! Kool cigarettes sent me a hiphop CD in the mail with that and like 8 other joints from that era the other day. i don't know when or if i even signed up for some shyt form them i don't usually do stuff like that but I'm glad i did it brought back allot of memories.

a cat i use to work with did a track like that once where he was talking about hiphop and his girl at the same time the whole track and it was dope as hell. ill have to find the track now.......

on some local level ish that same cat (Hainus) has some of my fav lines like that of all time:

Fucc the 4th of July my pistol will show you how fire works.

once in a freestyle he said some ish about like Chicago he makes "ill-a-noise" (Illinois) that was kinda hot.

that's not hommies best ish it's just what came to mind first.

Last edited:
Back