Can you become a millionaire off leasing beats?

Drumkitreserve

Screen-Shot-2017-03-17-at-7.30.46-PM_large.png

This post is a response to what @illmindPRODUCER was ranting about the last few days on Twitter. While !llmind has some good points, he’s missing some key points and looking at the issue of selling beats to “struggle rappers” from high on the pedestal of someone who has already “made it” in the music industry. For the rest of us, this is our hustle and one that could potentially turn us into millionaires if we play our cards right.
I want to preface this article by stating that the $50 beat you sold last week could definitely turn into $1,000,000 in publishing but it is HIGHLY unlikely and completely improbable. I take that stance that any money made doing something you love is a good thing, whether the end result is a “good thing”or not. I’m of the mindset that you should get every god damn dollar you can and do it TODAY. Chasing placements has never been a winning strategy for MOST people.

read more of the response here

Repost:TheDrumBrokerBlog

Last edited:
Cats need to know that producing for a big name artist or artists has been and is being reduced to nothing. People need to forget about placements and focus on finding artists and collaborating with them to develop their sound.

It's like hitting the lottery. I think that the $50 dollar beat business is taking business away from the big money cats and that is what this is really about. Some can say the business is over-saturated but on the flip-side you can look at it as highly competitive. Now with more exponentials and growth in the market, this will only increase the standard and will help a stagnant industry that hasn't really done anything great in a while. So basically, too many people sound the same so this will cause an ambitious person/people to do something different.

I'm all for the flooding of the market - someone is going to shine

Last edited:
It's probably more likely to become a millionaire in a lucky night in vegas to be honest.

Even if you don't get the royalites for it yourself, you can now put on your CV: produced that mega smash beat and you'll have a lot more success getting hired to do other production

The dude who made the beat for Don't by Bryson Tiller sells beats 40 for $20. Unless your paperwork is God Level, You're not becoming a millionaire off of a random lease. You're gonna have to actually connect with artists.

Back