Can any1 be a rapper? talent vs hard work

Gaus

Some people obviously start the game with more talent than others, but can even a wack rapper become dope if he just puts in the hard work necessary? Or do you have to have some sort of talent to be dope?
I'm of the opinion that talent is mainly an excuse invented by lazy people to not follow their dreams. Obviously talent exists but at the end of the day if u wanna be a master of something, all it takes to make it is to simply do whatever it takes. But then again theres the physical aspects like your voice, if u got a wack voice there aint really much to do about it. what do you think?

I'm a believer in just because you can doesn't mean you should. Talent by definition is an innate ability but it is nothing if one doesn't put in hard work which is subjective and varies from person to person. Physical ability matters not solely in music but in all fields. I'm all for inclusion but I also feel there are some individuals who don't need to be in the music business overall, for instance, anyone who has been or is within the penal system. As for physical aspects such as voice, there is nothing a Speech Language Pathologist, vocal coach and/or voice teacher can't correct given the artist's desire to want correction. I don't believe making it involves doing whatever it takes 'cause one has to consider what one is willing and/or not willing to do as success is subjective and often measured extrinsically.

Last edited:
I'm a believer in just because you can doesn't mean you should. Talent by definition is an innate ability but it is nothing if one doesn't put in hard work which is subjective and varies from person to person. Physical ability matters not solely in music but in all fields. I'm all for inclusion but I also feel there are some individuals who don't need to be in the music business overall, for instance, anyone who has been or is within the penal system.
why is it you think people who has been in the penal system shoundt be making music? I think its great that people from all kind of different background and situations make music, makes for a more diverse soundscape that way

why is it you think people who has been in the penal system shoundt be making music? I think its great that people from all kind of different background and situations make music, makes for a more diverse soundscape that way

It's not that they shouldn't, but take into consideration how music affects all people differently and you have listeners who can listen to what amounts to glorification but not act on what was heard/listened to, listeners who actively participate in glorification via criminality in their neighborhoods, and listeners who are on the edge of the perceived audiences' message.

Last edited:
It's not that they shouldn't, but take into consideration how music affects all people differently and you have listenrs who can listen to what amounts to glorification but not act on what was heard/listened to, listeners who actively participate via criminality in their neighborhoods in glorification, and listeners who are on the edge of the perceived audiences' message.

i understand where u coming from, i dont vibez with that shit either, but music is an artform and to censor it would be to suffocate it. The questions we better be asking is why people glorify that shit and why people like it. The fact that that shit is popular is saying something about society, that its fuked up. We gotta treat the disease not the symptom.

In a lot of scenarios hard work trumps talent.

I've seen lazy 'talented' people produce zero because they are too busy waiting for their ship to sail in versus going out and making it happen.

On that same token, working harder doesn't always guarantee success ~ especially in the music biz.

Sometimes you just need to have 'it'...

Which a lot of people don't.

So, to answer your question:

Anyone can be a rapper.

Few will be successful at it.

Last edited:
keep in mind that success, and being dope is not synonimous. I know lot of rappers who are not succesfull but i still consider them to have mastered the art of rapping.

No one is "born" a dope rapper. EVERY RAPPER was a biter. Big Daddy Kane looked up to somebody. Damn what the blogs, media, history books, and people claiming they were there have to say. They all could be lying. Like Rakim has a flow.......that might have came from someone who had a great style but terrible delivery...but all you get to see is him with the chains dangling....with his biting ass...you would never believe the shit because you weren't there...some blogger read some history books...that's all. It all boils down to "POETRY". There are rules to specific poetry styles, but in poetry itself there are no rules. You had long, deep, powerful poems in history, and you had simple Dr.Seuss like poetry. It is all poetry. So "being in love with the CoaCoa" vs "being the biggest hypocrite of 2015" has NO GREATER OR LESS THAN values in "RAP" itself. Once you put them in their "correct" category then you can determine what's right for what.

I say that to say, always stick to what's in your "heart" and not what "you feel you suppose to do" when it comes to "hip hop". Nevermind all of the rules people made up for "hip hop" itself because there never were any rules. If there were rules then it wouldn't be all over the world right now with people participating for this long of time and on going. Doing what's in your heart creates an energy that's a magnet for success.

Short answer. Rapping is a learnable skill.

The rest is *paid media infested politics to create growth and sales of popular artist due to force fed propaganda to trick you in to believing YOU could never be better than who THEY SAY is LARGER THAN LIFE. Plenty of rappers can rap like EM and even outdo EM at being Em lyrically (for example)......because they "studied" him like their pathetic asses could've been studying to be a Doctor or a Lawyer. You would never believe it or even witness it to judge for yourself........due to *.

I'd say 10% talent, 90% determination.
That goes for almost anything, music, drawing, painting etc...

others go as far as "success is 1% inspiration 99% perspiration" first attributed to Edison

the broader issue is that without work/practice of some sort no matter how much raw skill you have it will never be developed to its full potential

Last edited:
hard work over everything. cuz theres no true definition of "good" its all subjective
and the more you hear a persons song the more you like it...

think of how many songs you hate but know all the words to.

Back