Votes: 75 61.5%
  • Trap

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 7 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
one distinct element are the hats. The hi hats go in depth to like 32nd notes... literally sounds like a helicopter.

yep, I mentioned the hats. I sometimes use hats like that in a hiphop beat. So is that the only defining element as you see it? Is that what makes a track 'trap'?

yep, I mentioned the hats. I sometimes use hats like that in a hiphop beat. So is that the only defining element as you see it? Is that what makes a track 'trap'?

I'm no trap expert. But ik the hats are a substantial component. But remember trap still is technically a sub genre of hip hop. While boom bap is just more of an old school groove(in production). I'd listen to young thug, and even start listening to drill. Just make a station on Pandora lol

Also like mentioned above, trap is a combo of the trap electronic sub genre and hip hop. They do this to conform and also to innovate hip hop today. So in the instrumentals they'd have a lot of electronic productions. As far as rapping, the lyrics usually consist of meaningless yelped lyrics. Definitely not conscious.

This may be subjective for me to say, but as i digress, personally i think trap is just horrible. Its typically very generic, corny, and just paradoxically conforms to each others sound to fit in.

Not trap? Hats are 16ths. Don't even drop in and out, just straight "tick tick tick tick tick".

It's going to mainly be CONTENT and RAP STYLE. Hats can be a distinction, so can the little sounds used in it. Tempo often plays a big factor because trap rappers usually have a different delivery that takes a slower beat(which gives more room to fill in with snare rolls, hat triplets, and 32nd or even 64th speed ups to give a certain "accent" for lack of better words). Snares usually hit more often than in traditional boom bap. But none of these are concrete. That's why I'm always lost to people who put it all in one category.

You can say "People who bit off Shawty Redd and D Rich music that was made popular in monotony by Lex Luger" instead of "trap", and I follow. But most are categorizing it all as the same thing like if I said all "Boom Bap" had to have every element that Primo uses. "The main thing that makes it Boom Bap is the DJ scratches and samples pieced together to make a chorus".

Last edited:
For me the main difference is the tempo:
Boom-Bap is around 85-90 BPM
Trap is around 50-70 BPM (or 100-140 BPM double-timed).
So trap is slower, but hats and snare-rolls are 2x faster.

Also the melody in trap is dark. Sometimes as dark as melodies in horror-movies :)
So pianos, strings, brass, bells, 808, some synths and you are ready ;)
Oh.. and organ, if you are Zaytoven))

if you asked me a few years ago i would have said boom bap without hesitation but these days ive come to appreciate all forms of hip hop equally.so they are both equal in my eyes. in saying that though a lot of these trap rappers that get attention these days are complete trash, when done right though it is amazing.

if you asked me a few years ago i would have said boom bap without hesitation but these days ive come to appreciate all forms of hip hop equally.so they are both equal in my eyes. in saying that though a lot of these trap rappers that get attention these days are complete trash, when done right though it is amazing.

Exactly. It's such a dope genre that a flock of new producers are trying to emulate what Metro Boomin and Southside are so good at creating when they should be using that inspiration to create their own vibe. Good music is good music and trash is trash.

After thinking more about that, neither. It's best to know as many genres as possible and personal preference between these two is just that.

I like to combine them. It's hard to favor one over the other. I will say trap is much more 'modernized' and currently is in high demand. It's mainstream. Boom pap reminds me of old school for some reason. Idk I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back