is anybody as tired of the game as i have become lately?

My issue with lyrics these days isn't the lack of complexity. My issue with lyrics these days is the lack of a person behind them. A lot of rappers seem extremely removed from their lyrics.

It's almost like they're drones or something... especially the " hustla " rappers. Rappers exaggerated in the 80's and 90's as well but it at least it seemed believable. To this day when I hear Brenda's Got A Baby, It Was A Good Day, Warning and countless others it's still believable. I'm pretty sure all of those stories weren't 100 % real but they're highly realistic.

When it comes to the " conscious " rappers... these days they seem too up tight. Motherf*ckas be sounding disgruntle as hell. Yeah these dudes " have something to say " but they aren't the least bit entertaining. A majority of the songs they do lack feeling and sound like a lecture.

I remember hearing songs that were cautionary or " conscious " but they were still entertaining. Groups like Brand Nubian, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Outkast, etc were able to create songs that were entertaining and full of substance at the same time.

I'm stuck in the 80's and 90's, not because of boom bap but because of the soul. It's damn near non-exsistant these days. A majority of the stuff I hear just doesn't make me feel anything. I'm indifferent to a lot of stuff that I come across... I don't hate it nor do I like it. I'm just waiting for soul to make a return to music.

Ant McQueen said:
My issue with lyrics these days isn't the lack of complexity. My issue with lyrics these days is the lack of a person behind them. A lot of rappers seem extremely removed from their lyrics.

It's almost like they're drones or something... especially the " hustla " rappers. Rappers exaggerated in the 80's and 90's as well but it at least it seemed believable. To this day when I hear Brenda's Got A Baby, It Was A Good Day, Warning and countless others it's still believable. I'm pretty sure all of those stories weren't 100 % real but they're highly realistic.

When it comes to the " conscious " rappers... these days they seem too up tight. Motherf*ckas be sounding disgruntle as hell. Yeah these dudes " have something to say " but they aren't the least bit entertaining. A majority of the songs they do lack feeling and sound like a lecture.

I remember hearing songs that were cautionary or " conscious " but they were still entertaining. Groups like Brand Nubian, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Outkast, etc were able to create songs that were entertaining and full of substance at the same time.

I'm stuck in the 80's and 90's, not because of boom bap but because of the soul. It's damn near non-exsistant these days. A majority of the stuff I hear just doesn't make me feel anything. I'm indifferent to a lot of stuff that I come across... I don't hate it nor do I like it. I'm just waiting for soul to make a return to music.

I definitely understand that.. And I'm not saying everybody has to like what's out there now, just instead of saying "all this new **** is complete crap, hip hop is dead!" .. Maybe try.. "Yeah.. I don't like it".

Dot_Robinson said it well.. The APPROACH is different now.. Rappers aren't trying to spill their souls (as much). They do have feeling behind them, but their focus and energy now is to drive the crowd.. Energies have changed from that smooth, kick-back kind of feel to the hit the club, dance your ass off vibe..The aim is different.

Ali'i said:
That's a horrible analogy.. Hot sauce is hot because you can actually feel the difference between hot and mild.. Wether radio music is hotter than underground is an opinion.. So people gotta stop saying that the radio is killing it.

you missed the whole point...

the point is...one person might FEEL burning while the other person may FEEL only tingling...

each person has different tolerance levels...

just like weed...

what i think is BAMMER, you would probably think is FIRE...

Last edited:
Ali'i said:
I definitely understand that.. And I'm not saying everybody has to like what's out there now, just instead of saying "all this new **** is complete crap, hip hop is dead!" .. Maybe try.. "Yeah.. I don't like it".

Dot_Robinson said it well.. The APPROACH is different now.. Rappers aren't trying to spill their souls (as much). They do have feeling behind them, but their focus and energy now is to drive the crowd.. Energies have changed from that smooth, kick-back kind of feel to the hit the club, dance your ass off vibe..The aim is different.

There's always been party records but now you have dudes that don't give much effort. I'm not a huge Lil' Jon fan but I can f*ck with his stuff because he's energetic... dudes like Soulja Boy just sound lazy. The lack of effort and enthusiasm is ridiculous yo. I can't give niggas a pass cause they're just " having fun ". People like Three Six Mafia are far from lyricists but they serve their purpose because they're like audio Red Bull. If you're just having fun, at least sound like you're having fun.

[F_or_DEAF] said:
you missed the whole point...

the point is...one person might FEEL burning while the other person may FEEL only tingling...

each person has different tolerance levels...

just like weed...

what i think is BAMMER, you would probably think is FIRE...

Not really.. You took the whole preference aspect out of it..

Lets say for every example, the person is completely unbiased and all conclusions are based on facts.

Say I try both hot and mild.. Obviously, hot would be hotter.. If I smoke some dank club ****, and smoke some mexican shwag, the club **** will definitely **** me up more.. FACT.

Now if I listen to some radio played music, and then listened to some underground music.. How do you say one is better than the other? That is completely opinion there is no fact involved with that. Which bugs me, because people are saying **** like "This [insert mainstream rapper here] sucks!" As in, it's a well known fact.. Rather than saying.. "I hate [insert mainstream rapper here]"

Ant McQueen said:
There's always been party records but now you have dudes that don't give much effort. I'm not a huge Lil' Jon fan but I can f*ck with his stuff because he's energetic... dudes like Soulja Boy just sound lazy. The lack of effort and enthusiasm is ridiculous yo. I can't give niggas a pass cause they're just " having fun ". People like Three Six Mafia are far from lyricists but they serve their purpose because they're like audio Red Bull. If you're just having fun, at least sound like you're having fun.

And I still agree with you.. There are definitely radio played rappers I don't like, my point wasn't that all mainstream is better than everything before it (which DEFINITELY isn't true, I dig a lot of older stuff), I'm just saying that dudes should stop with the "hip-hop is going down hill" bull.. Change isn't always bad, but can definitely be hard to accept.

Last edited:
could it be that we feel we grew up to 80-90s hip hop, and just thinking our generation is best? i mean kids now, will grow up durin the lil wayne, souljaboy, kayne generation and probably not like whatever direction that comes after that.

Its all media influence.. Kanye and Weezy are at the point in their career where they can sing some garbage and people will love the **** out of it.

I used to think to myself and complain on how crap new stuff says, but just gotta keep it to yourself.. Just let it be enough motivation for you to want to do something yourself, create your own **** while paying hommage to those before you.

Ant McQueen said:

Outkast's "Benz or Beamer" flew into my mind when I read that.

Hypertek said:
could it be that we feel we grew up to 80-90s hip hop, and just thinking our generation is best? i mean kids now, will grow up durin the lil wayne, souljaboy, kayne generation and probably not like whatever direction that comes after that.

Its all media influence.. Kanye and Weezy are at the point in their career where they can sing some garbage and people will love the **** out of it.

I used to think to myself and complain on how crap new stuff says, but just gotta keep it to yourself.. Just let it be enough motivation for you to want to do something yourself, create your own **** while paying hommage to those before you.

I definitely agree with that..

I'll use myself as an example.. Before I started listening to hip-hop, I grew up around (what I call) the TRUE hardcore/punk scene, before it went mainstream and, slightly unlike hip-hop, .. Damn I'm going into side rants.. Hip-Hop has been mostly consistent with it's fans, which is one of the only genres I can think of that has been able to do that, but in the case of Hardcore when I listened to it (Final Fight, Life Long Tragedy, All Bets Off, Ruiner, Drugs of Youth, We Are Dangers...etc.) and what it is now, you can tell they are literally two different groups of people... ANYWAYS.. I refuse(d) to deem anything under the genre of hardcore that sounded like the emo-ish stuff that it's claimed as now.. But, that's how music is.. It evolves..

And something I really feel is true, is that more of the "vets of hip-hop" are more stuck up on the labeling of the genre rather than the actual music.. Say if Lil Wayne were to label his music as something other than hip-hop.. I feel there would be less people hating on him. I feel like people are seeing him as an intrusion(sp?) of sorts..

some of ya'll make it sound like IT'S IMPOSSIBLE for hip hop to be changing FOR THE WORSE...

Last edited:
I would also like to comment on Soulja Boy. Yes, I'm tired of the threads too but I'm even more tired of hearing people say " just let the lil' nigga get his money. " That sh*t is wack yo, if your music leaves your hard drive it's automatically up for criticism. Nas was 19 when Illmatic came out, Snoop was 19 when Doggystyle came out, Lauryn Hill was 17 when The Fugees came out... I mean, we can go on and on. People shouldn't give that bullsh*t excuse " he's only a teen. "

I think this recent trend of " haterism " has people afraid to have an opinion. People preach individualism and swear up and down that they're different, but they don't allow anyone to have a different opinion. There's a lot of people who think being different is dressing like Pharrell. No, being different is knowing when something is or isn't for you. You have to be extremely diplomatic these days and walk the tight rope of " d*ck riderism " and " haterism ". Hopefully this will change some time soon...

[F_or_DEAF] said:
some of ya'll make it sound like IT'S IMPOSSIBLE for hip hop to be changing FOR THE WORSE...

every got-damn change ain't good...

I'll take that as directed towards me ;)

All I'm saying is it's opinion.. No matter what, music is gonna change, and there will be people who hate and love it.. Obviously, lots of people here hate it, but on the other hand.. A million in a week??? Seriously.. I'm not following trends, hopping on the band wagon, selling out or anything like that. When it comes to music, my mind is wiiiiiide open.. except for country >_> ... But wether you like it or not, it's still gonna happen, and no amount of THREAD POSTS is gonna change that.

Ant McQueen said:
I would also like to comment on Soulja Boy. Yes, I'm tired of the threads too but I'm even more tired of hearing people say " just let the lil' nigga get his money. " That sh*t is wack yo, if your music leaves your hard drive it's automatically up for criticism. Nas was 19 when Illmatic came out, Snoop was 19 when Doggystyle came out, Lauryn Hill was 17 when The Fugees came out... I mean, we can go on and on. People shouldn't give that bullsh*t excuse " he's only a teen. "

I think this recent trend of " haterism " has people afraid to have an opinion. People preach individualism and swear up and down that they're different, but they don't allow anyone to have a different opinion. There's a lot of people who think being different is dressing like Pharrell. No, being different is knowing when something is or isn't for you. You have to be extremely diplomatic these days and walk the tight rope of " d*ck riderism " and " haterism ". Hopefully this will change some time soon...

Criticism is fine.. Telling people they're whack for liking a certain type of music isn't..

** Btw, I'm not attacking anyone.. I like debating, and you guys are providing me with something to do.

Last edited:
Ant McQueen said:

REAL TALK...

Damn.. Alright really though.. You actually reading what I'm posting?? There is a complete difference between having an opinion and telling someone they're whack for listening to a certain artist. All I'm saying.

Ali'i said:
All I'm saying is it's opinion.. No matter what, music is gonna change, and there will be people who hate and love it.. Obviously, lots of people here hate it, but on the other hand.. A million in a week??? Seriously.. I'm not following trends, hopping on the band wagon, selling out or anything like that. When it comes to music, my mind is wiiiiiide open.. except for country >_> ... But wether you like it or not, it's still gonna happen, and no amount of THREAD POSTS is gonna change that.

Music is getting worse because people's mentalities are getting worse. This music that's coming out now is only a reflection of what's going on. A lot of people are losing their damn minds right now. Doing the dumbest sh*t known to man. Niggas get on their video blogs to stunt on the people who put money in there pockets.

From Sean Kingston's blog to Soulja Boy's Rich Nigga Sh*t, those are prime examples of what I'm talking about. You must be really arrogant and inconsiderate to do some sh*t like blowing your nose with a 100 dollar bill. I saw a video with Rick Ross lighting a stack of money on fire just so he could light his blunt with it. In the words of Dave Chappelle, " THEY SHOULDA NEVER GAVE YOU NIGGAS MONEY !!! ".

Ali'i said:
Criticism is fine.. Telling people they're whack for liking a certain type of music isn't...

If you support wack music than you are guilty of the crime of conspiring to murder hip hop...

Ant McQueen said:
Music is getting worse because people's mentalities are getting worse. This music that's coming out now is only a reflection of what's going on. A lot of people are losing their damn minds right now. Doing the dumbest sh*t known to man. Niggas get on their video blogs to stunt on the people who put money in there pockets.

From Sean Kingston's blog to Soulja Boy's Rich Nigga Sh*t, those are prime examples of what I'm talking about. You must be really arrogant and inconsiderate to do some sh*t like blowing your nose with a 100 dollar bill. I saw a video with Rick Ross lighting a stack of money on fire just so he could light his blunt with it. In the words of Dave Chappelle, " THEY SHOULDA NEVER GAVE YOU NIGGAS MONEY !!! ".

I honestly think that ****'s hillarious.. But I know where you're coming from. I don't think that the MUSIC is getting worse though.. Maybe the message. I mean, this is a question but, this didn't happen.. say.. back in the 90's?? I really don't know, an actual question right there.... Actually thinking about it, I guess the message did get worse :cheers:
But I still disagree that the music (message aside) is worse.. That's still opinion.

Ant McQueen said:

It's embarrassing to admit that you are a HIP HOP artist nowadays...

the odds are pretty good that you either RAP ABOUT STUPID SHYT, DO STUPID SHYT, OR BOTH...

Some people can't let go the fact that Hip Hop has evolved into mainstream form and it's not going back. It's evolved into a form that people who are into pop, country, r&b & rock&roll can enjoy as well. It no longer belongs to 1 culture or tastemaker........

10 years from now there are gonna be cats who are gonna consider 2002-2010 their "Golden Years" of Hip Hop.......

Some people might not like it but get used to it because it's not going backwards.......

Ali'i said:
I honestly think that ****'s hillarious.. But I know where you're coming from. I don't think that the MUSIC is getting worse though.. Maybe the message. I mean, this is a question but, this didn't happen.. say.. back in the 90's?? I really don't know, an actual question right there.... Actually thinking about it, I guess the message did get worse :cheers:
But I still disagree that the music (message aside) is worse.. That's still opinion.

When I say it's getting worse, I mean overall, I'd be lying if I said that everything that comes out is wack. In my opinion the artists that are out now are talented, but I don't think they utilize their talent like they're capable of.

Back