is anybody as tired of the game as i have become lately?

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
From skimming thisa thread my 2 cents....

Just because YOU don't like something doesn't make it any less "real hip hop". If Diddy told you your music wasn't "real hip hop", you'd say who the f**k is Diddy to say what is or isn't "real hip hop". So turn that around and ask yourself....who the f**k are you to think you have more say so than the people putting out music on major scales and satisfying consumers?

With that said, I personally believe hip hop music is currently lacking a certain "umph" it used to have. When I make tracks, I try to put that "umph" in it. That's all I can do. Just did tracks for upcoming releases for G.Dep and Mitchy Slick, both have that "umph" I feel is missing. Now who am I to say that "umph" I think is missing wasn't subtracted for the better?

I'll know when I make a record that brings the world to it's knees. Until then, Flo Rida - Low, Yung Berg - The Business, Soulja Boy - Krank Dat, Lil Wayne - Lollipop are bigger than my/your/our opinions.

This biz is now on even playing fields. I can give myself the same exposure labels are giving artists. Same goes for anyone else from Jean Grae to Immortal Tech to Nelly. Even Tech N9ne had a #1 Hip hop album on Billboard this year. Sold more 1st week than Yung Berg, almost twice as much.

Time will reveal the bullsh*t, everything comes to light. Consumers have choices, they're not being brainwashed and fed pitbullsh*t, they're selecting the music they want to hear.

Maybe some of us just have suck azz opinions of "good" and "bad" music?

I definitely agree with this first part. If you don't like something is doesn't make it any less " Hip Hop ", even though I don't think anyone in here said something was less because they didn't like it. Someone needs to tell Big Nose (KRS-ONE) that.

But I don't understand how a song can be bigger than your opinion. You can't put conditions on opinions on some " well this song is huge and I don't like it so my opinion is invalid " sh*t. That's pretty much like saying if a song is big you're opinion has to be similar to everyone else's or it doesn't matter. I personally think that's some bullsh*t.

I don't believe consumers are brainwashed, but I know that consumers don't have many choices laid out on the table for them. A majority of the people I come across aren't like us, they don't search on the web (for alternatives) and read magazines like Remix. They mainly rely on mainstream media (radio, MTV, BET, etc...). When the average fan uses the internet they're most likely going to be...

A. Searching for music from artists that they already know of. Or
B. Searching for music from artists that they just discovered via mainstream media.

Something is always gonna be number 1, that's inevitable, but these days you can sell under 100,000 copies and have a number one album depending on who dropped around the same time as you. Beating out 2 Pistols, Yung Berg, and Ron Artest isn't that much of a feat. Out of the artists that program directors choose to play... someone has to be number 1 on the charts. I don't believe in the whole " that's what people want to hear " saying. If people never heard a certain artist how would they know whether or not they want to hear that artist ? Once there's more diversity on the radio then people will really have more choice.

Ant McQueen stays on point...

I think the difference between now and the "Golden Era" in the 90's was that the artists that we now look at as legends were NEW ARTISTS. Jay-Z, Outkast, 3 6 Mafia, Pac, Biggie, Snoop etc. they all did their own thing and didn't care what the next man was making. In todays market you have Rocko sounding like Jeezy and a bunch of people imitating other artists instead of being themselves.

Partly this is labels fault because they see the artists in the 90's succeeded from a certain "image" that really wasn't a image at all it was them being themselves. So now A Lot of artists feel they need to adapt their music to a certain sound to get record deals, sell beats etc.

I feel if you plan on making it in this game you have to play by a certain set of rules, then when you reach a certain point you have the freedom to move around and put out real material that you want.

I think technology helped mesh everybody into sounding a like. When Hip Hop got on TV and countdowns and charts and blogs and Youtube... the whole Hip Hop community somehow felt connected.

Back in the day... nobody really connected with what other people were doing except people from their regions. Master P and them were kinda country, Snoop and them were gangsta, Nas and them were NY, Twista and Do or Die were midwest pimps.... they just put out what was going on in their region and tried to persuade people to embrace it. Now people are on each other records, in each others videos and their is no region but the entire Hip Hop region... so thing look the same.

Just like baggy pants or now tight pants... everybody wears whatever is in, all at the same time. At first it was just Snoop and Mc Eiht and the rest saggin', only Master P and Baby and southern guys had gold teeth, only NY guys rapped about beef between each other.....

Now everything is meshed together via MTV, YouTube or whatever... like you see these dudes wearing red bandanas in vids, that used to be a West coast thing.

Nothing bad... it just make things less exciting.

As a person that make music, I know that no matter whats on TV... if you like to make music... you won't quit making music because of what they try to push on TV...

Last edited by a moderator:
biggrome said:
I think technology helped mesh everybody into sounding a like. When Hip Hop got on TV and countdowns and charts and blogs and Youtube... the whole Hip Hop community somehow felt connected.

Back in the day... nobody really connected with what other people were doing except people from their regions. Master P and them were kinda country, Snoop and them were gangsta, Nas and them were NY, Twista and Do or Die were midwest pimps.... they just put out what was going on in their region and tried to persuade people to embrace it. Now people are on each other records, in each others videos and their is no region but the entire Hip Hop region... so thing look the same.

Just like baggy pants or now tight pants... everybody weres whatever is in, all at the same time. At first it was just Snoop and Mc Eiht and the rest saggin', only Master P and Baby and southern guys had gold teeth, only NY guys rapped about beef between each other.....

Now everything is meshed together via MTV, YouTube or whatever... like you see these dudes wearing red bandanas in vids, that used to be a West coast thing.

Nothing bad... it just make things less exciting.

As a person that make music, I know that no matter whats on TV... if you like to make music... you won't quit making music because of what they try to push on TV...

I concur Uncle Rome ! I couldn't have said that better myself...

Ant McQueen said:
I concur Uncle Rome ! I couldn't have said that better myself...

Yeah, that's how the Golden Era had variety. A group like PE or The Roots would get ignored now-a-days... back then, people checked for them because you wanted a lot of different ish to listen to. Take snap music, crunk music, 808 songs,.... whatever is in, is in and that's what you're going to get.

When that guy said WE GLOBAL.... that might not have been a good thing lol.

We used to have KRS next to NWA next to Outkast next to Bone Thugs next to WU Tang next to PE next to The Roots next to Digital Underground next to Will Smith next to X Clan... it never got boring, lol

Now you got Lil Wayne next to Ace Hood next to VIC and I don't know who's who... they all look like the same dude.

As we all know everything "evolves" and Hip Hop has evolved into what we hear today. The reasons why it has evolved into the "Certain Sound" it has today is beyond me and is irrelevant to me.

I personally HATE WITH A PASSION what "Commercial" hip hip music sounds like these days. I think its lost its SOUL....Its lost its DEPTH.....its lost its EDGE.....and I just DONT LIKE IT!

Its come to the point now when if somebody asks me what kind of music I like IM EMBARRASSED to say HIP HOP. Now thats really sad and it genuinely gets to me!

Im not mad at kids who like todays hip hop coz they have grown up in this era and its what they know. But all I wanna say is that its a sad day when I cant even bring myself to turn the radio on coz I hate the sound of hip hop today that much...

That's where "Buzz" comes in.......

Nobody starts out on top, they grind and display themselves by doing shows, being in studios and putting music out. The "People" decide whether they like it or not. If they don't, the artist never amounts to anything, if they like it, the artists "Buzz" grows and eventually gets signed because they've proven that they can obtain fans.......

EXAMPLE: The Cool Kids.......

Jackpot ProductionZ said:
That's where "Buzz" comes in.......

Nobody starts out on top, they grind and display themselves by doing shows, being in studios and putting music out. The "People" decide whether they like it or not. If they don't, the artist never amounts to anything, if they like it, the artists "Buzz" grows and eventually gets signed because they've proven that they can obtain fans.......

EXAMPLE: The Cool Kids.......

finally something logical...

After all this time, I still love the game.
I do it for the little boys.

I wholly ignore the game. Most of the hip hop I listen to is from the early to mid 90s and underground type stuff from the early ots. This newness, this tired and played out business that has always been; hip hop has always been a gimmick in most people's eyes and those that know better are few and far between.

Folks need to forget the industry. Throw out album sales, radio play, exposure, and just listen to what you like. Everything else is pretty ridiculous to even consider when dealing with music. If you like it, you play it. Done deal, right?

Back