Another question about selling beats

I

IanMathews

Is it feasible to abandon specialized beat-selling sites, and just take orders personally from targeted clients on my main site?

I'm asking because,

1. I feel like a lot of rappers let it be known they aren't buying beats. They can get them for free elsewhere.

2. I've had some tell me they're not interested in beats that are publicly for sale - Which is fine. I'll do custom work for them. But it also proves the beatselling site isn't working.

3. Sometimes I find an artist I want to work with, and he doesn't have the money, but I still really want him on a track. Now what?

Most of the people on here have beat-selling sites or widgets. I'd like to hear from anyone who sells beats privately. You have music online, but not directly for sale until they talk to you. Pros and cons? Marketing approach?

Last edited by a moderator:
2. I've had some tell me they're not interested in beats that are publicly for sale - Which is fine. I'll do custom work for them. But it also proves the beatselling site isn't working.

I thought that posting tracks up in public was a way to help demonstrate their production ability and range especially if the producers doesn't have a discography (or an established enough one) so that even if the artist isnt interested in those particular tracks he would be interested in perhaps a custom made one. How else is a producer suppose to promote himself without a discography, just yell "I GOT HOT BEATS" on email blasts and various social platforms all day??

Last edited:
I thought that posting tracks up in public was a way to help demonstrate their production ability and range especially if the producers doesn't have a discography (or an established enough one) so that even if the artist isnt interested in those particular tracks he would be interested in perhaps a custom made one. How else is a producer suppose to promote himself without a discography, just yell "I GOT HOT BEATS" on email blasts and various social platforms all day??

No, sorry I didn't clarify one thing.... I have a music player on my site, but not a Flash Store or anything like that. You can't purchase beats with PayPal direct from my site.

I think you should have some "available" to use even if they're not for purchase. If you have some for sale then take the side money.

I say this because sometimes people rap over songs and they have songs by other people too. If your song gets the most attention, they'll come back to you because they'll feel that your style fits them. You could tout "custom" tracks and just identify the promo tracks.

I used to do remixes for a group on here, they made their own beats but always sent me an acapella. The remixes always got a better response - even from them. So they would always come back. If I had never given them a "practice" song to rap over... they would've never known that their style fit well with my music.

It's a slippery slope. I guess you just have to make the promo (try these out) vs. custom (no one get these buy you) thing clears.

Maybe separate tabs on the site.

.... maybe I misunderstood.

Back